Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
2019 At the earliest. They have no reason to have an answer at the moment to the Xbox X. The Pro is great, but won't deliver the experience the Xbox X will. But in due time, Sony will have something to answer for. It doesn't have to be a console war, at least in terms of how powerful these consoles are becoming.

IMHO - Sony doesn't want to release past the $399 mark, so a 4K/60 capable console at that pricepoint will be in Holiday 2019 (maybe even in late Spring). The XBO-X should be down to $349 by that time to compete...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Didn't realize it - was in today's Best Buy Ad...

Sony has FINALLY released a stand-alone 4K UHD BR player:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

5748620ld.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

A firmware update for PS4 Pro owners?

http://www.psu.com/news/31155/PS4-Pro-4k-Blu-ray-update-could-be-added-in-the-future

The shape of Playstation Consoles to come?

PS4 Super-Slim? PS4 Pro Slim?

PS5?

PLAYSTATION TEASES "THE REVEAL OF SOMETHING NEW"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/21/playstation-teases-the-reveal-of-something-new

PS4 Pro Slim with 4k UHD BR Drive?

(announced same day as XBox One X Pre-orders begin)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I will buy a Pro Slim if they build it!

Actually, people are saying that it is some sort of European special edition PS4 Pro version for their racing game hence "gearing up" - which is why it is announced with their UK account, not their world-wide one.

Make sense...

If this is the case, I don't see how this would thwart XBox One X pre-orders...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
PS5 won't be till 2018 at the earliest. Their is a bit more power in the PS4 Pro to be released yet, it won't match the Xbone X but both companies will want to make some more money out of this gen.
Will Sony actually have back wards compatibility though next time?...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
PS5 won't be till 2018 at the earliest. Their is a bit more power in the PS4 Pro to be released yet, it won't match the Xbone X but both companies will want to make some more money out of this gen.
Will Sony actually have back wards compatibility though next time?...

I'm hearing 2 sides of the story (I have to find the articles).

One:
The PS5 will be announced in 2018 to be released Holiday 2018 or Spring 2019 - since it is "PC Based" - will have AMD Ryzen and Vega technologies and be backwards compatible with PS4 games. Slightly more powerful than XBox One X but be enough for 4K/30fps games WITH 4K Assets...

Two:
The PS5 will be announced Spring 2019 to be released Spring 2020. Even though PC based, it will NOT be backwards compatible. They will want devs to make cutting-edge games for it, mainly 4K/60fps with 4K assets. Plus by then, 4K sets will have 50% ownership and a system this powerful will be able to come in at a $399 price-point. People, like we've always been doing in the past, will just buy new games for it and keep the old system to play old games. This makes sense since there are so, so many old systems to purchase used and many games to buy used very inexpensively.

So, that's it. I prefer number two because, as what has always been said in the past, designing a new system to be backwards-compatible will hold it back from being cutting edge somehow. Especially when you can get the previous generation used, and re-use/re-cycle has been important to many people lately.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Lets hope 2020 as my wallet can't keep up with this current cycle of consoles

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What features should the Playstation 5 have?

In my opinon:

• Remove the optical media drive and use carts instead.
  • Remove the HDD platter drives and use SSD instead.
  • Improved controller Rumble - similar to Nintendo's HD Rumble
  • Region free digital game codes (Currently they are not region free even though the discs are)
  • A wishlist on the console store. It's on the web store though but having it on console would be nice.
  • Have a finger print scanner in the controller so there's an extra layer of user secruity to log into your console account. Apple do this well, the PS5 could also do this well.
  • A properly designed store so themes and games are much easier to purchase and preview.

If I think of more I'll post them up here.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
What features should the Playstation 5 have?

In my opinon:

• Remove the optical media drive and use carts instead.
  • Remove the HDD platter drives and use SSD instead.
  • Improved controller Rumble - similar to Nintendo's HD Rumble
  • Region free digital game codes (Currently they are not region free even though the discs are)
  • A wishlist on the console store. It's on the web store though but having it on console would be nice.
  • Have a finger print scanner in the controller so there's an extra layer of user secruity to log into your console account. Apple do this well, the PS5 could also do this well.
  • A properly designed store so themes and games are much easier to purchase and preview.

If I think of more I'll post them up here.
Backwards compatibility.

Reactions: the8thark

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
The *only* reason I currently don't own a PS4, is because it lacks a 4K BluRay drive (with HDR support). I would have even gotten a Sony 4K TV to go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremyisweary

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
To be honest, I wouldn't change too much from the previous Playstations. Just give it more processing power. I don't even necessarily need a higher resolution than 1080p, I'd have to take a magnifying glass to the TV to find the extra pixels. :D Though I am pretty sure the next Playstation will be native 4k across the board.

More things moving on screen (like facial muscles to improve animations), and improved draw distances (no more pop-ins!!!) would be much more meaningful to me!

Other than that, both physical media and downloads to hard drive are fine by me. Current system UI and store are okay as well. Having the first generation hardware run cool with no fan noise would be great for a change! :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Backwards compatibility.

One rumor I hear it will be, another I'm hearing it won't - just so the industry can move forward more quickly. The PS4 will be cheap, especially used by then, where people can just play those games (like it has always been).

The *only* reason I currently don't one a PS4, is because it lacks a 4K BluRay drive (with HDR support). I would have even gotten a Sony 4K TV to go with it.

I think Sony is waiting to see where physical media goes - they of course, want rid of it...

So I believe we will see the PS5 Holiday 2019 or Spring 2020 - we will all know by then...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
One rumor I hear it will be, another I'm hearing it won't - just so the industry can move forward more quickly. The PS4 will be cheap, especially used by then, where people can just play those games (like it has always been).

I think Sony is waiting to see where physical media goes - they of course, want rid of it...

So I believe we will see the PS5 Holiday 2019 or Spring 2020 - we will all know by then...

Yeah, but then that's another input on the tv. Would really love just one system to play everything. So far I got an input for my PS4, PS3, PS2, Wii, Switch, and retron SNES/NES/Genesis combo system. Too many and don't want to add another.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Backwards compatibility.
I have heard rumorus on both sides for this. The downside of backwards compatability is the optical disc drive. Sony have to ditch it at some point, so that would spell a console without direct backwards compatability. Unless they do an external disc drive for a console to deal with this issue. The other option would be to transfer the content digitally to the newer console somehow.

I am talking about native backwards compability here, not virtualised backwards compatability. Virtuialised backwards compatabiltiy, that's something totally different and not what I am talking about here at all.

I actually don't think Sony want to rid themselves of the Blu-Ray any time soon. It's not just games, it's movies too. Sony is so totally invested in the Blu-Ray as a medium. They won the war with HD-DVD a while back using the Blu-Ray. Would Sony move on from this after everything it's cost them to create the media and popularise it? I don't think Sony want to do it any time soon. The disc is clearly a technology bottleneck. The PS4 Pro is the most powerful console but technology wise it has nowhere to go in it's current format. Carts and SSD/flash are the future, not discs and HDD. Sony will be left behind if they cling to their disc technology for too much longer.

Even Apple have realised that discs are no their way out by not having optical media drives in many Macs now. Of cause the external superdrive is still an option, but that's really only a way to prolong the use of this legacy tech. One day developers will jsut stop using optical media all together and move on to carts (like Nintendo have) or just go the purely digital route.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Future of gaming is in cloud gaming. I realized this once I started using Google Photos that physical storage will go away like physical media. Everyone will be connected online in the next decade. The key is Google Photos gives me the ability to save it back to my phones for offline.

Nomore downloading updates. No need installing a 2TB external HD that will die out over time. People will be always be connected with minimum 4G/5G speeds. Since consoles are left at home, they are connected to your Wi-Fi router anyway. Only ones that need physical storage are handhelds.

Games from the PS4 used up alot of storage. Most of my downloaded games are 40GB. Cloud gaming is the future. Won't be flawless in the beginning but it will help. Sony believes in cloud gaming ever since PS Now. Subscription-based but look at the back catalog of PS3 games you can play on your PS4.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Special Press Conference, Sony Paris Games Week, October 30, 2017...

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/sony-paris-games-week-2017-press-conference-set-october-30

Tomorrow!!!

Two things I am hoping for:

- PS4 Pro Slim! Timing would be perfect with the XBox X launch.
- Bloodborne 2!

(I will likely be disappointed with a stupid GT Sports bundle...)

Wow - totally forgot about it...

My take - the "theoretical existence of the PS5" (they did the same for PS2 at Dreamcast launch), new PSVR games, pricedrops? ($249/$349 for PS4/Pro).

Update 10/02/17: Sony has confirmed it will live stream its Paris Games Week 2017 press conference via live.playstation.com, Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook. PlayStation Live from Paris Games Week will begin an hour before the press conference at 16:00 local time (8:00 a.m. PT / 11:00 a.m. ET) and will feature a “slew of updates and announcements,” before moving straight into the press conference, which promises “a new look at some spectacular games coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR.”

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.

That guy is notorious about BS predictions. He's wrong a LOT.

My bet is - PS5 isn't even announced until 2019 and doesn't show up until 2020 holidays at the earliest. They will have the PS4 Pro transition to become the standard PS4 that people buy in stores and they will periodically reduce the price of it to keep it competitive.
The Xbox One X is going to be very niche unless Microsoft gets ultra aggressive and lowers the price while absorbing a substantial financial hit. Sony can ride it out for a while on their games library.

I do hope that there are new systems from both Sony and MS in the not too distant future (2020ish). I don't want this to turn into phones where each company is releasing a slight upgrade every year.
[doublepost=1509392603][/doublepost]
I'd buy it. The only thing holding me back from getting a PS4 is lack of UHD + HDR support at this point.

Future of gaming is in cloud gaming. I realized this once I started using Google Photos that physical storage will go away like physical media. Everyone will be connected online in the next decade. The key is Google Photos gives me the ability to save it back to my phones for offline.

Nomore downloading updates. No need installing a 2TB external HD that will die out over time. People will be always be connected with minimum 4G/5G speeds. Since consoles are left at home, they are connected to your Wi-Fi router anyway. Only ones that need physical storage are handhelds.

Games from the PS4 used up alot of storage. Most of my downloaded games are 40GB. Cloud gaming is the future. Won't be flawless in the beginning but it will help. Sony believes in cloud gaming ever since PS Now. Subscription-based but look at the back catalog of PS3 games you can play on your PS4.

Both Sony and MS have been pushing for this for years but the problem is there is a huge part of the world where the internet infrastructure just isn't good enough to pull it off. There are parts of the US where it would be a bad idea to put everything in the cloud and stream games.
Plus with how absolutely awful Sony and MS are with getting hacked and having spotty security, do you really want all your games in the cloud? If their services go down you are stuck with a bricked system and can't play anything.
Another thing is, if you put all your games in a companies cloud they are going to want to charge you for storage. So you are going to pay for games and then also pay for the access to them each month/year. That might not be too bad for most people, but some people are not going to like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.