Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I hope it has a UHD BluRay drive (finally), and I hope it has decent amounts of storage. I imagine a sort of fusion drive type setup with an SSD cache and larger rotating media is what will happen. However, some of the specs seem dubious, at best. 8k gaming? Even if the console has geForce 2080Ti level graphics (and it likely won't), it'll struggle to do most games at decent 4k at decent framerates. 8k is just absurd.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Backwards compatibility will help with the backlog. Get the PS5, still be able to play PS4 games.

When PS4 came out I waited a year because there weren't games I felt were must have. Now that I can play my PS4 games on it I'll definitely get one at launch.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
When PS4 came out I waited a year because there weren't games I felt were must have. Now that I can play my PS4 games on it I'll definitely get one at launch.

If it's to play PS4-games, why not wait for the first holiday price drop? That's what I'm going to do anyway :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If it's to play PS4-games, why not wait for the first holiday price drop? That's what I'm going to do anyway :)

If there's not a good launch game I'll do that. I'm crossing my fingers there will be something such as the rumored Assassin's Creed Vikings.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
So happy it's backwards compatible.

I for one would like that to extend to PSX, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility. Just let me put in my old discs! I'm still sour about the PS3 taking away the option to play PS2 in one of its early cost-cutting revisions. My Foreman Grill edition broke and at that point I had already sold off my PS2 for chump change but all Sony were offering was PS3s without the feature.
Then I had to buy a PS2 again... o_O

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I for one would like that to extend to PSX, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility. Just let me put in my old discs! I'm still sour about the PS3 taking away the option to play PS2 in one of its early cost-cutting revisions. My Foreman Grill edition broke and at that point I had already sold off my PS2 for chump change but all Sony were offering was PS3s without the feature.
Then I had to buy a PS2 again... o_O

Lol @ Foreman Grill. I forgot how huge they were.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I honestly cannot wait; maybe this time I´ll focus on PS5 and drop the Xbox. I don´t know about 8k Gaming, I have a samsung basic 4k TV (which looks great) and I´m still saving up for a more decent set (perhaps after I get my PS5). I´d rather have 4k 60 FPS with a lot more details.

I hope we get UHD Bluray support this time around.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why 8K?

You can do a great-looking game in 1080p if done right...

And you can do a better looking game in 4k if done right. There can be no doubt that higher resolutoin But that isn't the point. The point is that Sony needs to move a lot of 8K TVs and there is currently zero content for them. The same way they used the PS2 to push DVD adoption and the PS3 to push BluRay adoption, they are using this to push 8k adoption.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I wouldn’t get so hung up on 8K, that’s meaningless as most people won’t have 4K TVs at the PS5 launch let alone 8K!

No, ray tracing in real-time is the main thing, I believe it’s been a bit of a holy grail for games and computers for years and years, now a reality. It should make a big impact on graphics once devs get used to it. Combine that with 4K 60FPS and we’ll have true next gen graphics, but how much better they’ll look then what we currently have I’m not sure?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I wouldn’t get so hung up on 8K, that’s meaningless as most people won’t have 4K TVs at the PS5 launch let alone 8K!

No, ray tracing in real-time is the main thing, I believe it’s been a bit of a holy grail for games and computers for years and years, now a reality. It should make a big impact on graphics once devs get used to it. Combine that with 4K 60FPS and we’ll have true next gen graphics, but how much better they’ll look then what we currently have I’m not sure?

Agreed. Videos I've seen with the ray tracing look tons better imho.

Ray tracing is where it's at. I hear right now at least, a game and GPU with Ray Tracing off will get you 60+ fps but when you turn it on, it falls to around 30fps, so it will be a few years before we get a reasonably priced console GPU that could do the 60fps...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I did read about a supposed leak that claims the new PS5 will have a powerful high speed CPU, hardware raytracing GPU co developed by AMD and Sony, and a super fast SSD integrated on the board but also a hard disk drive too, now this would make sense I think, SSD for performance but an HDD for large storage and help keep costs down:

http://www.t3.com/news/ps5-tip-off-reveals-consoles-insane-power-as-sony-meeting-infiltrated

Now I would not claim these specs as wrong because we had the same thing and people said they were fake, take with a pinch of salt, no way it’ll be that powerful (at the time), and yet it turned out to be true.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
The devs also need to get used to the technology and optimise the code.

Any generation of console: check the release games and the latest releases before the next gen arrived. You'd say the games are from a different generation of console on their own.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
PS5 will launch late 2020. Probably around October. There wont be a UHD Blu Ray drive. It will have an SSD and will focus on 4k, not 8k gaming. The backwards compatibility is a fantastic edition and an obvious choice after how much of a success the PS4 was. You don't want to lose any of that base to the competition. I think Microsoft will also come out swinging with the two SKU's of their new system too. Interested to see the reveals as they are both promising some big things.

But unlike most next gen console launches, we are getting these systems not long after getting mid-generation "pro" and "x" consoles. So the generational leap is not going to be as dramatic as a lot of people think. You would have to compare the upcoming systems to the launch PS4 and launch Xbox One.

Reactions: Stark3000

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I’m calling it, next gen 7nm AMD Ryzen CPU, 8 core, fast RAM of 20 ish GB. Hardware raytracing Navi GPU. Using the same RAM, but I’m not sure of which type, could be DDR 6 or maybe AMDs clever but very expensive GPU RAM.
Special embedded new SSD tech linked to a decent size HDD for storage, it will be clever tech ensuring zero or as close to it loading times, gigabit or possibly? 10 gigabit Ethernet, wireless AX would be nice but I won’t hold my breath with Sony’s record on wireless tech so AC with MU MIMO support.
It will also have a UHD blue ray drive.

It will basically be a proper next gen system built for several years of gaming, I also think it’s target will be 4K 60FPS, but weather that’s with Ray Tracing I guess we’ll have to see?

I also believe all these games will be in the PS5:

I plan on sticking only with a PS5 next gen, overall it’s UI is by far the best and it’s instant on and carry where you left off feature has always been impressive. It’s just the easiest to live with console, turn on go, as it should be, plus the games are pretty great on it!

And AMD will be showing some juicy details at E3, it is holding a conference which will be live streamed on their You Tube channel where they will show and discuss its new technology for the future and PC’s AND the next gen games consoles..

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
If they released the PS4 Pro with an SSD and update system that it used the full potential of its SATA3 connection those results would be a lot less spectacular...

Nevertheless: I like the speed on that new system!

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
If they released the PS4 Pro with an SSD and update system that it used the full potential of its SATA3 connection those results would be a lot less spectacular...

Nevertheless: I like the speed on that new system!

You can definitely see a graphical difference too. Not bad for an early tech demo of a current gen game. Sony will also be offering game streaming services too along with disk and digital downloads. Looking forward to seeing in full what they’ve come up with :)

Reactions: BlankStar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.