Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Here’s a thought for the next Xbox and maybe PS5, with all the trade wars going on between China and the US, and the reports of Microsoft and other moving some production out of China due to this, will the next consoles cost more then they would have without this trade war?

Clockworkz

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2018
Las Vegas
I too expect them to cost more, hopefully here in the UK no more then £450, but I was curious if the trade war would affect the price?
I think it will affect the cost, now these companies can't make them using their cheap labor so I don't doubt that it will cost more. Makes sense to me that it will.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Nope, both Sony and Microsoft are pretty much staying schtum at the moment :(
Theirs a games event next month and then one in Japan is it in September? But weather they’ll go let alone announce any more info is anyone’s guess.
I won’t be surprised if they nothing now till E3 next year where they both reveal all.!!

I’m still undecided which one to buy?? Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Nope, both Sony and Microsoft are pretty much staying schtum at the moment :(
Theirs a games event next month and then one in Japan is it in September? But weather they’ll go let alone announce any more info is anyone’s guess.
I won’t be surprised if they nothing now till E3 next year where they both reveal all.!!

I’m still undecided which one to buy?? Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Sony won't unveil their next console at e3. They'll do it at a Sony Event like they did with the PS4.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
They first showed the physical console at E3:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/20/playstation-4-revealed

This is from Feb 20, 2013. Months before E3 2013 which was in June 2013.

EDIT: I just realized you meant the "physical" console and not the reveal of what the console will be, so yeah you're right that E3 was the physical unveiling of it.

I remember when they showed it everyone was joking about how similar it looked to the XBOX. It was like a thinner, italicized version of the X1.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/20/playstation-4-revealed

This is from Feb 20, 2013. Months before E3 2013 which was in June 2013.

EDIT: I just realized you meant the "physical" console and not the reveal of what the console will be, so yeah you're right that E3 was the physical unveiling of it.

I remember when they showed it everyone was joking about how similar it looked to the XBOX. It was like a thinner, italicized version of the X1.

Yeap, I meant they first launched the console properly and showed the physical unit and pricing and all the details at E3.
Hmmm how never thought it looked like the OG Betamax video recorder Xbox One Haha.
IMO my Xbox One S is by far the best looking of this gens machines.

Of course Sony could just not turn up at E3 next year, which would be rather odd?

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Yeap, I meant they first launched the console properly and showed the physical unit and pricing and all the details at E3.
Hmmm how never thought it looked like the OG Betamax video recorder Xbox One Haha.
IMO my Xbox One S is by far the best looking of this gens machines.

Of course Sony could just not turn up at E3 next year, which would be rather odd?

I agree that the Xbox One S is great looking. I thought the PS4 was really basic and plain in design and the PS4 Pro (which I have) is absolutely HIDEOUS. The One S and One X are nice looking machines.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It's always nice to have a good looking console, but I'd rather have an ugly one with awesome hardware in it and a fast, nice OS :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
It's always nice to have a good looking console, but I'd rather have an ugly one with awesome hardware in it and a fast, nice OS :)

Well that depends on where you can stick it lol. If you can hide it who cares, if not then a nice looking box helps.
[doublepost=1563882322][/doublepost]
I just want the thing to not sound like a vaccum cleaner when it gets a little warm. :D

Yeah, Sony have a LOT of work to do on that!! They will need to provide a proper cooling solution this time with all those powerful components in it.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I must say that my PS4 Pro never gets loud. Even now during the summer and with long sessions of Assassin's Creed. (4hrs and more). No idea why people are complaining? Is that a PS4 slim thing? Or the original model?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Expect these to be the most expensive consoles yet, £499 possibly higher. The current ecosystem outputs content for a sliding scale of consoles Base: Xbox One/PS4 Mid: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro High: Xbox Scarlett / PS5. There is no incentive to lose money on these devices whatsoever as they are still selling the lower devices and producing content across the range.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Expect these to be the most expensive consoles yet, £499 possibly higher. The current ecosystem outputs content for a sliding scale of consoles Base: Xbox One/PS4 Mid: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro High: Xbox Scarlett / PS5. There is no incentive to lose money on these devices whatsoever as they are still selling the lower devices and producing content across the range.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The launch price is a key factor to success. Sony did very well selling the PS4 at a loss initially.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I wouldn't be sure about that. The launch price is a key factor to success. Sony did very well selling the PS4 at a loss initially.
Indeed, I think it's all about getting as much consoles in the living rooms as possible. (or whatever room in the house). And then you got people who will be buying games for years to come, and many to pay for PS Plus or other services. And that's where the positive cashflow is. You only sell the hardware once but the software, that's for the rest of the consoles' life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.