Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing

It costs less than AppleCare, and covers drops, spills and other accidents!

It is the same price for all 6 models. Coverage up to $829 for top model.

Has anyone have any experiences with Squaretrade... negative or positive?

This seems like the best route to go, especially if we see a lot of cracked screened complaints.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I will say that SquareTrade is a reputably company. They are backed by a large insurance company. Most reviews about them are positive. They aren't one of those fly by night companies that will deny claims at all costs.

I may consider SquareTrade for my iPad. Only concern is that during year 2 if there's a problem you won't be able to get a quick fix at a local Apple Store. You may have to wait a week or so to get the issue resolved with SquareTrade. However I do like that they cover spills and such.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I don't know, accident do happen, but that's a lot, especially if you have less than a 10% of accidental damage. Why not just spend a little extra and get general electronics accidental insurance?

stoster38

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
North Hollywood
http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing

It costs less than AppleCare, and covers drops, spills and other accidents!

It is the same price for all 6 models. Coverage up to $829 for top model.

Has anyone have any experiences with Squaretrade... negative or positive?

This seems like the best route to go, especially if we see a lot of cracked screened complaints.

I'm not planning to buy this or AppleCare. I'm pretty careful with my electronic devices so I'm not too worried about accidents. Also I'd probably upgrade after having the iPad for a couple of years and one of those years the Apple Warranty would cover it. I know it doesn't cover user damage but I'm willing to take my chances.

I've had my iPhone 3g for almost 2 years and now and no major accidents. So I'm pretty confident that I can keep my iPad relatively safe :)

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I've never broken any of my iPhones *knock on wood*. But I think I might buy this for iPad.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
only 79

this is only 79$ today only with code

TAX2010

not bad, for two years of full replacement

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I bought it for $96 two days ago :). I am happy knowing my iPad is fully protected :)

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
i use the coupon and got it for 79 today.....I figured i dropped my iphone 2 times within a year of owning it and it survived....The iPad on the other hand i think if you drop this thing, prepare for some major damage....I can see it slipping out of someones hands or getting wet possibly ( even though i use a case )

I paid 60 for a case ( which i will be returning i think because that is just insane ) so for 79.00 for 2 years and accidental damage protection its well worth it....

I have Squaretrade on my MBP also and my Sony HD camcorder.....

GoFastJames

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
I used the TAX2010 code.
It was only 79$
I dont know how long the code will last.
But im happy with this.
SquareTrade has been good to me I had a lcd go all white and they email me a shipping label then 3 days later I get a email they are seeding me my money.

greenlander

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I used the TAX2010 code.
It was only 79$
I dont know how long the code will last.
But im happy with this.
SquareTrade has been good to me I had a lcd go all white and they email me a shipping label then 3 days later I get a email they are seeding me my money.

FYI - There's a contest going which is giving away a 3-year SquareTrade iPad policy today: http://www.theipadguide.com/promo/april-ipad-accessory-day-giveaway

The ST giveaway part ends at midnight, though.

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
My AMEX card that I bought my iPad with doubles the manufacturers warranty. So I get a second year for free.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I got the iPad on launch day. Can I still buy the SquareTrade warranty now since I already have the device?

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
I got the iPad on launch day. Can I still buy the SquareTrade warranty now since I already have the device?

Yes, I just purchased the 3-year plan using the coupon code from this thread. I got my iPad from apple.com on launch day. But don't forget to email them your receipt after you purchase it.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I'm struggling with this decision a bit. Will I drop it? I also take good care of my devices, but there is a first time for everything and I'm afraid $699 is a lot of money to risk in one accidental drop.

On the other hand, does anyone here have any first hand experience with accidental replacements through Squaretrade? I'd hate to spend that kind of cash and then be hassled when I try to get a break replacement.

Makersmike

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
It depends on how expensive your iPad is. I bought the $499 version, and paying 15% of the total purchase price for insurance (if I use the code to pay $79) doesn't make financial sense. Especially on a device that won't hold data that isn't backed up elsewhere.

If you get a more expensive iPad, maybe the numbers are in your favor. But for those of us who bought the $499 iPad, it doesn't make sense. A case will be a better investment.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
If I buy the warranty today using the discount code, could I then apply the warranty to my 3G iPad that will be arriving in a few weeks, or does it have to be one you already have? See, I have the WIFI iPad right now but it's just the $499 one. I'm getting the $829 3G iPad later this month, and THAT'S the one I'd like to buy this warranty for. Just don't know if I have to wait to actually get the iPad before buying this warranty, or just hope that they have another code when the 3G version comes out?

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
If I buy the warranty today using the discount code, could I then apply the warranty to my 3G iPad that will be arriving in a few weeks, or does it have to be one you already have? See, I have the WIFI iPad right now but it's just the $499 one. I'm getting the $829 3G iPad later this month, and THAT'S the one I'd like to buy this warranty for. Just don't know if I have to wait to actually get the iPad before buying this warranty, or just hope that they have another code when the 3G version comes out?

They base the warranty on the purchase date which is the date you placed your order (assuming you ordered it from Apple for home delivery) not the delivery or ship date.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Keep in mind that Square Trade doesn't include theft coverage.

SafeWare does. They don't have a specific plan for the iPad yet, but they do cover "tablet" computers based on purchase price. (They do have a specific iPhone plan.)

I've used them in the past for notebook computers, and have been very happy. Never had a claim, but lots of positive comments online from those who have.

iPad would seem to be a theft magnet.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
All my electronics are covered on my home insurance...

Your home insurance normally won't cover damage or manufacturer's defects, though your credit card may provide the latter (and sometimes damage/theft for a very limited period.) And your home insurance won't cover business use without a rider. It also may require listing the specific equipment, so make sure you do that.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Your home insurance normally won't cover damage or manufacturer's defects, though your credit card may provide the latter (and sometimes damage/theft for a very limited period.) And your home insurance won't cover business use without a rider. It also may require listing the specific equipment, so make sure you do that.

Manufacturer defects are covered by warranty for the first year, after that it's more likely i'd drop my electronics or whatever then they breaking due to defects. And accidental damage is covered. And no I don't really need to list anything, maybe a receipt would be good (even though I know you don't have to have that), or some proof of purchase, but the bank will take care of that since I pay everything with my card :p.

Not sure, but I think it covers theft too, I know it covers theft of other stuff since a friend got her purse stolen at some nightclub with a similar insurance and she got covered for the cost of the purse and everything in it.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Manufacturer defects are covered by warranty for the first year, after that it's more likely i'd drop my electronics or whatever then they breaking due to defects. And accidental damage is covered. And no I don't really need to list anything, maybe a receipt would be good (even though I know you don't have to have that), or some proof of purchase, but the bank will take care of that since I pay everything with my card :p.

Not sure, but I think it covers theft too, I know it covers theft of other stuff since a friend got her purse stolen at some nightclub with a similar insurance and she got covered for the cost of the purse and everything in it.

Interesting. I must call State Farm to ask about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.