Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think they are not allowed to increase immediately for a claim, but may increase the pricing upon renewal. That is when it would happen.

Unfortunately if you're a new customer most state regulations allow for "re-rates" within the first 90 days of policy issue. Not all carriers do this but some are known for the fact that they offer one rate, then cancel and rewrite the policy to a higher rate within the a fore mentioned time period

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Well again, that depends on the iPad model. Unless you have gotten some sweet coupon deal lately, the ST is about the same per year as the SW policy if you have a 16G wi-fi model and don't need international coverage. That's the only time there is a deductible....on the international stuff. So there's no reason to not go for the SW policy and have theft covered for about the same price if they have a 16gb wi-fi. The other higher models would be a different story. But the cost aren't HUGELY different. $10 or $20 bucks more to guard against theft too? That's not such a bad deal.

Thats not true apparently. I went to get a quote from SW. I have the ipad 32g wifi and i chose the NON international coverage and they quote said there'd be a $50 deductable!?!? I was leaning towards this plan because of the loss/theft protection, but its not worth the extra cost AND a deductable? anybody else see this?

Your total policy cost for 1 Year of coverage is $48.40.

Features
Covering: Apple iPad 32GB ($599)
Total Coverage Amount: $599.00
Coverage Area: Domestic
Policy Term: 1 Year
Deductible: $50.00
1 Year Premium: $44.00
1 Year Municipal Tax: $0.00
1 Year State Tax: $0.00
Policy Fees: $4.40

Total Policy Cost: $48.40

John Paul

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Question though... If you do drop it and crack the screen and get a replacement, does the SquareTrade continue for the remainder or does it only cover one incident?

It is important to note that Applecare DOES give you 2 years of phone support. While I don't need it, if my mother had one, the AppleCare is better for her.

Regarding your question, it depends how ST processes your iPad. Basically what happens is if you need to make a claim, you contact them and they have you send it to their repair center. Their engineers will look the item over. If they can fix it, they fix it and send it back to you. If they cannot fix it (which seems the more likely course of action with a cracked iPad screen, I would think), then they issue you a check for the full purchase price you paid.

So if you get the check, I think it's pretty obvious that your coverage ends there insofar as you are no longer in possession of the item. Now, if it's the case where they repair your item and send it back to you, are you still covered? No idea.

Of course one of the great things about SquareTrade is that they don't replace a broken item, they issue you a check. So if you break your iPad a year from now, rather than being stuck with a 1st generation replacement iPad, you can take the check you get and for probably the same price, get a newer, better 2nd generation iPad. And who knows what kinds of goodies the next generations ones will have!

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Regarding your question, it depends how ST processes your iPad. Basically what happens is if you need to make a claim, you contact them and they have you send it to their repair center. Their engineers will look the item over. If they can fix it, they fix it and send it back to you. If they cannot fix it (which seems the more likely course of action with a cracked iPad screen, I would think), then they issue you a check for the full purchase price you paid.

So if you get the check, I think it's pretty obvious that your coverage ends there insofar as you are no longer in possession of the item. Now, if it's the case where they repair your item and send it back to you, are you still covered? No idea.

I spoke to a sqauretrade rep regarding this matter. You are covered up to $599. Meaning that if it costs $100 to repair a screen, they can repair your screen 6 times. They deduce whatever each individual repair costs from the $599 purchase price. The result is how much coverage you have left going forward.

If you damage it and it costs $200 to fix.. they send it back to you after they fix it, and now you are covered up to $400. If you destroy it, they send you a check for $400.. If you damage it but they could fix it, they will cover repair costs up to $400.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Thats not true apparently. I went to get a quote from SW. I have the ipad 32g wifi and i chose the NON international coverage and they quote said there'd be a $50 deductable!?!? I was leaning towards this plan because of the loss/theft protection, but its not worth the extra cost AND a deductable? anybody else see this?

Yup! You are right. They must have changed something. Or perhaps it was an oversight or glitch on their website before. But yeah, it's definitely showing a $50 deductible now which definitely changes the value of this plan. At least the deductible did not change even with the highest priced iPad, so that's good at least.

I will go edit the original post so no one else is confused. Thanks for catching that and letting everyone know the updated information!!

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
As I did with every iPod touch model I will sell this when the next iPad comes out to upgrade so I probably will not have it long enough to be worth the price.

John Paul

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Do either of these plans cover you if your iPad just plain stops working once the 1st year of AppleCare is over?

Um...isn't this the whole point of the discussion?

But to answer, yes, SquareTrade is a warranty you buy that covers you if the iPad stops working for any reason, whether because of a defect on the part of its manufacture, or because you have broken it. It sounds like the other company does much the same but I've never looked at them.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Yup! You are right. They must have changed something. Or perhaps it was an oversight or glitch on their website before. But yeah, it's definitely showing a $50 deductible now which definitely changes the value of this plan. At least the deductible did not change even with the highest priced iPad, so that's good at least.

I will go edit the original post so no one else is confused. Thanks for catching that and letting everyone know the updated information!!

Just checked my coverage... no deductible.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Um...isn't this the whole point of the discussion?

But to answer, yes, SquareTrade is a warranty you buy that covers you if the iPad stops working for any reason, whether because of a defect on the part of its manufacture, or because you have broken it. It sounds like the other company does much the same but I've never looked at them.
I kinda figured it was a stupid question when I asked it, but in reading through both programs mentioned, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that regular non accidental damage failures were covered. In as much, my question was a search for confirmation. Sorry for readdressing the obvious. I plan on pulling the trigger on one of these policies tonight.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Traditionally square trade sells extended warranties with the option to add accidental damage protection for more money. With the iPad they bundled the two together for one flat fee.

I kinda figured it was a stupid question when I asked it, but in reading through both programs mentioned, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling that regular non accidental damage failures were covered. In as much, my question was a search for confirmation. Sorry for readdressing the obvious. I plan on pulling the trigger on one of these policies tonight.

itzcoolz

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
i just bought the safeware for my ipad 3G 32GB. it came out to $54 for 1 year, with a 50 dollar deductible. i was choosing between this and SquareTrade's 2 year coverage, which would come out to approx $83.

i chose safeware because i am most concerned about theft, and provided nothing goes wrong, it will actually come out to be cheaper than my SquareTrade policy. In the event that it does get stolen or broken, it would come out to a similar price. The downside is i only get one year of coverage, but I am ok with this because I figure i will either be reselling the iPad after a year, and that it will be less targeted by thieves after 1 year (not to mention, i'd be less bothered, esp if there is a new model on the market).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.