Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
So, how do I get a squaretrade warranty.
I bought my ipad 16wifi for $450 used from a someone.
I don't have the receipt.
The ipad is mint!!!
How do I show proof of purchase?
Is there a way to get a copy of the receipt?
thx!

I would call squaretrade an ask if you would qualify.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
bought mine today.

one thing is strange: i bought the ipad on april 30th but the coverage starts on june 3rd and lasts till june 3rd 2012.

how would they ever find out if it breaks tomorrow and I claim in june????? looks like a strangs unenforcable clause to me:confused:

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
bought mine today.

one thing is strange: i bought the ipad on april 30th but the coverage starts on june 3rd and lasts till june 3rd 2012.

how would they ever find out if it breaks tomorrow and I claim in june????? looks like a strangs unenforcable clause to me:confused:

If you buy the warranty after you get the product, the warranty doesn't kick in until 30 days afterwards. So if it breaks now until June 3rd, you're out of luck. SquareTrade won't cover it. They do this to prevent people from buying the warranty after their item has already been broken.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
If you buy the warranty after you get the product, the warranty doesn't kick in until 30 days afterwards. So if it breaks now until June 3rd, you're out of luck. SquareTrade won't cover it. They do this to prevent people from buying the warranty after their item has already been broken.

Re-read what he asked.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Oops lol I swear I read something differently. Well I guess they wouldn't really know if you did, but I'm sure it's to try and defer people from doing it.

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
New Coupon!!!!

Gread news everyone:

New Squaretrade coupon and its a good one!!!

PADPHONE30 is active right now and will be until May 13th... The discount brings the 2 year warranty down on the iPad down to $83!!!

Works on Iphones too... :D glad I did not buy it last friday!!!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
after getting my iPad insured by Squaretrade they offered me 20% off my next insurance plan.

That would bring my MBP insurance for 3 yaers down to $199. Has anybody checked out their notebook insurances? does it cover spill and accidental damage?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

If you bought it with an Amex card, they will replace it if stolen or damaged within the first 90 days. Many other cards have similar buyer protection.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I just bought coverage for my iPad. I've never done this for any other computer or gadget before, but with having spent $900 on this thing and reading the reports of how easily it can be damaged, I decided it was a good investment. Especially in view of how I carry it everywhere with me now, I can just see a time when I accidentally drop it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
amex

amex also covers damage for 90 days, so if you drop or break it, they will buy you another one.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I'm actually now looking at maybe ordering from SafeWare.com instead. They cover loss/theft and they don't cancel the coverage after they've replaced your iPad or once they reached the cost of a new iPad from repairs. They also have great feedback and reviews, and they aren't much more expensive.

Thanks for the tip. I am looking into SafeWare myself now. Right now it is $20more than the current coupon price for Squaretrade, but it looks to be a bit more reasonable in that the coverage doesn't stop once a claim is made. I need to read into a little closer.

As a side note, am I wrong or did I see where Applecare is $99 but that only carries you through your 2nd year of ownership? I know it doesn't cover drops, theft and the like.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Only 20? After i did my iPad i got a letter in the mail that said because I covered my ipad they were enclosing a card with a code for 50% off.

after getting my iPad insured by Squaretrade they offered me 20% off my next insurance plan.

That would bring my MBP insurance for 3 yaers down to $199. Has anybody checked out their notebook insurances? does it cover spill and accidental damage?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Safeware might be the better deal

So I compared Safeware with SquareTrade and here are the conclusions I came to. Depending on what model you get, the Safeware plan might be the better way to go since it covers theft as well whereas the Sqaretrade one does not.

In my area, for a 16GB 3G the cost would be $50.60 for one year, not too much different then the ST policy, and again it covers theft as well. So the slightly extra amount is worth it.

Now where it gets sticky is if you have more expensive models or travel internationally. For a 64GB 3G, in my zip code, the cost goes up to $67.10 for one year. If you travel internationally and want it covered outside the US and Canada, then you cost on that model would go up to $83.60 AND has a $200 deductible. So this makes the international plans much less attractive. Further, if you go to one of the countries that is on the travel advisory list, there is no coverage at all. Right now, that includes Mexico too. So if you took your iPad to Mexico and something happened you would be out of luck.

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
Safe ware looks like great coverage.... But square trade is cheaper, & you don't have to pay a deductible.... The main difference is that safe ware protects you against theft.... That's huge... I chose the cheaper coverage with square trade... I'm more concerned with breaking it then I am with losing it... If you're afraid you might lose it.... Go safe ware...

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have a seperate policy for my computers, maybe that is the difference. But having used it once, I paid no deductible.

1) Be careful with this and make sure they specifically spell it out for you that the iPad will be covered. Most major insurance carriers in the US have "updated" their contractual definitions on a so-called "PC Endorsement" to specifically exclude mobile devices other than laptops. This includes excluding things like iPods and iPhones, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't cover a claim for the iPad when you damage it.

2) State Farm may not raise rates immediately but they are famous for non-renewals of business for more than 1 claim inside a rolling five year window. On top of that when you go to buy a house in the future the new insurer (or state farm themselves) will run a CLUE report (which is like a MVR for your property history) and if they see any claims they could choose to deny you all-together or increase your rates within the first 90 days of issuance.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It ABSOLUTELY will affect your future rating. You don't know much about insurance do you? It looks like you weren't paying attention. We're talking about a person with a renter's policy with State Farm and what would happen if he made a claim. This isn't a warranty claim. It's an insurance claim.

We did some insurance shopping a few years ago to see how other companies would do on rates. We sat down at an independent agent who represented 9 companies. We told him who we were interested in as an insurer. He ran our information and said because we had placed a $900 claim from wind damage two years earlier he couldn't write any new policy on us with the companies we were interested in. They all required that more than three years had passed since a claim. We had told him nothing prior to us going in and sitting down and he was able to tell us exactly what our claim was.

Yes, filing an insurance claim will indeed affect your ability to obtain insurance and the associated rates. Some premiere insurers will not allow any claim within five years to write a policy.

Car insurance has at fault, no fault and exempted claims depending on what state you're in. For instance, in my state, if you hit a deer it doesn't count against you. There are also levels of fault, costs involved and threshholds before bad things start happening. Try switching insurance companies and they'll take a hard look at what claims you've had.

Case in point to my earlier response. I've worked in insurance for 7 years with a major company, one that's got a reputation for being much more lenient than our competitors, and I see this all the time from customers coming to us.

State Farm, AllState, Nationwide, Farmers and many others have lost tons of money over the last 10 years because of the economy and all of the catastrophic damage from fires and storms, and they will not hesitate to drop current customers and refuse new ones.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
2) State Farm may not raise rates immediately but they are famous for non-renewals of business for more than 1 claim inside a rolling five year window. On top of that when you go to buy a house in the future the new insurer (or state farm themselves) will run a CLUE report (which is like a MVR for your property history) and if they see any claims they could choose to deny you all-together or increase your rates within the first 90 days of issuance.

I think they are not allowed to increase immediately for a claim, but may increase the pricing upon renewal. That is when it would happen.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Safe ware looks like great coverage.... But square trade is cheaper, & you don't have to pay a deductible....

Well again, that depends on the iPad model. Unless you have gotten some sweet coupon deal lately, the ST is about the same per year as the SW policy if you have a 16G wi-fi model and don't need international coverage. That's the only time there is a deductible....on the international stuff. So there's no reason to not go for the SW policy and have theft covered for about the same price if they have a 16gb wi-fi. The other higher models would be a different story. But the cost aren't HUGELY different. $10 or $20 bucks more to guard against theft too? That's not such a bad deal.

UPDATE: Wanted to correct the above information. A $50 deductible is now showing for all domestic coverage no matter what model. So please disregard the "only time there is a deductible" is on international plans bit.

The correct info (as of 5/14/2010) is:
$200 deductible on international plans (unless you travel to watch list countries in which case you will not be covered AT ALL)
$50 deductible on U.S. domestic plans

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Anyone use this with Apple Care? I have AppleCare for my iPad but am curious about SquareTrade as well. Especially since they cover all those 'Extra' Items as well (Drops / Spills). However, usually the iPad is in it's Belkin grip vue and when taking it around, I have a sleeve case for it (Although the iPad must be naked when in the sleevecase). Should I / would you get 'double' the coverage? I have the 64gig 3g. When the 'next one' comes out, it's either going to go to my wife or be sold. So I know I'm already going to upgrade to the next version.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I went ahead and purchased this for $83.

I already used my Amex to double the warranty... But piece of mind for 42 bucks a year against drops and spills is worth it.

ben12345

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Do you have to provide a serial number when you purchase. I have one on oder with the Apple store and would like to take advantage of the coupon someone posted that expires May 13th.

Can I purchase now?

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Do you have to provide a serial number when you purchase. I have one on oder with the Apple store and would like to take advantage of the coupon someone posted that expires May 13th.

Can I purchase now?

They didn't ask for a serial number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.