Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Unfortunately, it appears that they have changed the way the coupon works. If I apply the EARLYSPRING10 coupon now, it just replaces the regular 20% off discount, so the total price is still $96. I think I'll wait until I actually get my 3G iPad and see if they have a better deal.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Upon hearing of the $79.99 deal I considered it, however that is the most i would pay to protect a $499+ tax device. Maybe if they get back to that price but certainly not at a higher one. To the postee above me there is still a better working cupon than earlyspring, it's back 2 pages.

Best active code posted as of today seems to be IPAD25IPAD which gets it to $89.95 as of now. Too much for the base model coverage imho.

soxfanreggie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
Interesting. I must call State Farm to ask about this.

With something like the iPad, you'll probably want to look into a Personal Articles Policy. I got one through SF for my iPhone for like $30 - covers everything up to like $550 or $600 to replace. There's usually no deductible with a PAP either.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I plan on buying the ST warranty when I receive my 3G. Are coupons still coming out on Tuesday's? A friend of mine who has several warranties with them on his iPhones called them and got a 30% off coupon. :eek:

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I will almost certainly get this. I am far more concern with my butterfingers dropping the darn thing than anything else. :p I need ST more than an extension of AppleCare

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
They seemed to have changed the way coupons work. For example, on their site they currently list the iPad warranty at $95.99 (which is apparently already 20% off). When you apply a coupon, it does not take any additional amount off... it just removes the default 20% off sale and applies your coupon instead. I tried this with a 20% coupon last week and the price remained the same when I applied the coupon.

Now if they start another 30% coupon, at least you'd get it for $86. But I don't we're going to get it for <$75 like they were allowing a few weeks ago. And I don't know if there are ANY coupons working right now anyway, are there?

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009

3Pedals6Speeds

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
30% off today only!
http://dealnews.com/Square-Trade-coupon-30-off-warranties-more/361444.html

Doers anyone know if you can pre-buy the warranty - i.e. - I want to get one for my iPad 3G coming Friday.

Bought. Cost was $83.xx.

It wouldn't accept April 30th as the purchase date (future date I imagine doesn't work) so I put the order date. In hindsight I should have put today as that's when I expect the credit card charge will be made, but, oh well, so long as I don't break it the last month of the warranty it's still a good deal.

3Pedals6Speeds

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Yes, I already asked them that. I just bought the warranty for my upcoming 3G iPad. You simply e-mail or fax them the receipt once you get it and they will adjust the starting date.

Thanks for the coupon!

Good to know you can adjust the purchase date with the receipt. Thanks.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Yes, I already asked them that. I just bought the warranty for my upcoming 3G iPad. You simply e-mail or fax them the receipt once you get it and they will adjust the starting date.

Thanks for the coupon!

Thanks for the information. I will be ordering the warranty today!

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Bought. Cost was $83.xx.

It wouldn't accept April 30th as the purchase date (future date I imagine doesn't work) so I put the order date. In hindsight I should have put today as that's when I expect the credit card charge will be made, but, oh well, so long as I don't break it the last month of the warranty it's still a good deal.

I posted an email from ST on this subject earlier in the thread. They said to contact them by phone or support ticket with the actual invoice date (when it eventually gets to that point) and they'll alter it in their system then fax/upload a copy of the invoice to put it on file. If you don't alert them to the change manually, uploading the invoice won't change the registered date. Nobody actually compares the dates until a claim comes around.

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Called them and got more details about claims..

They basically cover you for the price of your item. If you destroy it and it needs to be replaced, then they will do that for you by reimbursing you for the item.

If you have a cracked screen or other "fixable" issues, they will repair the ipad for you and send it back.

The only limit to their claims is that repair costs cannot exceed the price of the product. Meaning that if it costs 200 bucks to replace the screen, and you bought a $600 ipad, you can send to get the screen replaced 3 times because cumulative repair costs for all 3 claims will be equal to or less than $600.

They also said, and this is where people REAAALLY need to be careful: They only cover accidental damage that occurs during regular ipad use. The service reps examples were the following:

1) If you take your ipad on a rollercoaster and it falls at and its completely destroyed, you are not covered.
2) If your dog chews up your ipad, you are not covered because it is not accidental damage during regular use!!
3) If you drop your ipad and it cracks, or if you spill coffee or water on it, then you are covered because that could happen during regular use.

I think what really needs to be considered are the words "DURING REGULAR USE"... if there is a crazy amount of damage to the ipad, they may not cover you and claim that it did not get damaged during what they consider "normal" or "regular" use...

Well guys, thats all I got for now. I am still thinking about buying the coverage but I thought it was more inclusive. I thought I could run it over with a lawn mower and they would not care just replace it once without asking... Oh well...

lileoj

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Ya I am getting squaretrade on friday. Applecare is a rip off for what it covers.

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Ya I am getting squaretrade on friday. Applecare is a rip off for what it covers.

You might want to reconsider and get it today. I spoke to them and they mentioned that the LOVEMOM cupon expires at midnight!! That cupon brings the price of the two year plan down to $83.55!!! If you are sure you are getting it on friday, then try and get it today instead to save yourself a few bucks... Thats more than 10 bucks you could be spending on apps and games :D

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Remember to read the fine print, square trade requires that you not make any claim before 30-60 days depending on the cost of the device. If you do they will void out the warranty.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I posted an email from ST on this subject earlier in the thread. They said to contact them by phone or support ticket with the actual invoice date (when it eventually gets to that point) and they'll alter it in their system then fax/upload a copy of the invoice to put it on file. If you don't alert them to the change manually, uploading the invoice won't change the registered date. Nobody actually compares the dates until a claim comes around.
I re-confirmed this with ST today. They seem to have excellent customer service. ;)

colmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
iPad SquareTrade Exclusion

The date you buy your iPad effects the date the Accidental coverage kicks in
See below Exclusion paragraph:

What is covered?

3 years of coverage The SquareTrade iPad warranty covers your item for 2 or 3 years, starting on the date of purchase.
Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH)Most tablet PC and Laptop failures reported to SquareTrade are caused by accidents. The SquareTrade iPad warranty protects against drops, spills, and other accidents!
Deductible: There is no deductible for any claim. Ordinarily, a $50 deductible would apply to ADH claims only, but SquareTrade has waived the deductible.
Exclusions: If your warranty is bought on the same day as your iPad, then your coverage begins immediately, if you buy your warranty on a later date than your iPad, accidents occurring in the first 30 days are not covered. ADH does not include loss, willful damage or damage occurring through gross misuse of the item. The damage must have occurred unintentionally while the item was being used as intended.
No Coverage from Loss: There is no coverage against lost or stolen items. You can always cancel your warranty and receive a refund if that happens.
Same coverage as Apple manufacturer warranty, but 2-3 times as long: The SquareTrade warranty also extends the same coverage as the Apple manufacturer warranty from 1 year to 2 or 3 years. This covers all mechanical and electrical problems that arise out of normal use. This includes most hardware failures and power/charging failures.
No deductible: If your iPad fails because of a mechanical or electrical problem during normal use, there is NO deductible to claim.
After Apple manufacturer warranty: During the period you are covered by the manufacturer, SquareTrade will refer you to the manufacturer for issues covered by the manufacturer warranty.

gordo1111

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Don't have original receipt!?

So, how do I get a squaretrade warranty.
I bought my ipad 16wifi for $450 used from a someone.
I don't have the receipt.
The ipad is mint!!!
How do I show proof of purchase?
Is there a way to get a copy of the receipt?
thx!

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
I'm actually now looking at maybe ordering from SafeWare.com instead. They cover loss/theft and they don't cancel the coverage after they've replaced your iPad or once they reached the cost of a new iPad from repairs. They also have great feedback and reviews, and they aren't much more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.