Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I bought my iPad Pro to be my mobile simple computer: casual web browsing, light document editing, maybe some clerical tasks, blah blah blah. I previously had a MacBook Air M1 to do these things on but laptops aggravate my carpal tunnel so it had to go.

As a result I had to pay more than the MBA cost to get an iPad Pro with an OS that is vastly inferior to the less-expensive laptop. Even though it largely works for what I'm asking it to do, it still frustrates me that the file management, multitasking, audio source management, compatibility, etc are basically just iPhone-grade. On such a large screen, those nerfed functions are painfully apparent and clunky.

Besides. It's just bad product management so sell a device with laptop-grade hardware, that costs more than a laptop, and is less versatile than a laptop. I will die on this hill, so flame away. Basic product management 101 and Apple has failed.

Star Labs just dropped their StarLite 5 tablet: 12.5" screen, CoreBoot, and runs Linux Mint (which I really really like) or a bunch of other Linux distros OR WINDOWS if you want for HALF THE PRICE OF THE IPAD PRO. It's $500! AND IT HAS A HEADPHONE JACK. AND TWO USB-C PORTS AND MINI HDMI. The more I read the more I'm drooling. This has value potential written all freaking over it.

I'm waiting for reviews to happen, but I'm having a very difficult time not pre-ordering it. It seems to be everything I'm waiting in vain for the iPad to be and has all the value that Apple refuses to provide.

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
If you're indeed looking for a "mobile simple computer", it'll be interesting to see if this actually fits your needs. There's nothing "simple" about desktop Linux, in my experience.
Have you tried Mint, Cinnamon edition? I was tinkering with it this week on my old MacBook and it was superb. Very easy to find all the settings, customize it for my taste, and logically laid out. Reminded me of when I tried Mac for the first time. I could figure out how to get things done just by using it.

Granted, when it comes to power user type stuff, I have no idea. Most I've ever done is chmod a folder. But Mint Cinnamon is great cuz I don't have to touch that in day-to-day use.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Have you tried Mint, Cinnamon edition? I was tinkering with it this week on my old MacBook and it was superb. Very easy to find all the settings, customize it for my taste, and logically laid out. Reminded me of when I tried Mac for the first time. I could figure out how to get things done just by using it.

Granted, when it comes to power user type stuff, I have no idea. Most I've ever done is chmod a folder. But Mint Cinnamon is great cuz I don't have to touch that in day-to-day use.
Looks like a nice tablet. I would just put Windows on it. Crap on any Linux Distro. I would even 100% choose iPad OS over Linux. Both Mac OS and Windows beat the snot out of Linux....no contest. Installing programs on Linux is a PITA. Linux doesn't have most of the programs that I regularly use, and I don't care for alternatives. I want the real deal. Linux is for hobbyists, not good for anything except playing with when you are bored. Only 3.6% of all computer users use Linux because it's not good for doing anything serious with.

Edit: Ammended to, "Only 3.6% of all "consumer" computer users use Linux because it's not good for doing anything serious with.

Last edited:

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
A brief reply. It's Bud: 30 after all.
I loathe both MS and Windows.
Linux is not PITA, although I've always had some trouble with it.
Mac OS was very difficult for me for a long time.
I understand Windows but still hate it and all the BS with MS and forced AI.
I plan on trying Linux again as my PC is not W11 compatible.
That does give me 2 more years.
I think Linux would be better than Android and iPad OS.
I have an iPad 7 (2019) and a number of Android tablets.
So I'm not making this up.
The tablet totally rocks!
I would use Windows as a last resort.
I may have missed where the tablet meets all the annoying Windows 11 requirements.
(TPM 2.0)

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Given that it seems to be built of PC hardware I wonder if I could even dual-boot it.

OPTIONS. That’s why I already love this tablet over the iPad. It gives me freedom of OPTIONS.

That’s all Apple had to do, let me run macOS on my expensive laptop-powered slab, but noooooo…

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Only 3.6% of all computer users use Linux because it's not good for doing anything serious with.

Nah. Plenty of serious stuff done on Linux. It likely powers majority of the world’s servers. I’m guessing it’s also used by a lot software developers.

Linux is just not the easiest OS to use for beginner to intermediate users, especially those who need to run commercial software like Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Linux is just not the easiest OS to use for beginner to intermediate users, especially those who need to run commercial software like Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.

I'd argue that the right distro could be a great fit for a beginner user. Just messing with Linux Mint Cinnamon, I immediately thought that it would make a great first-laptop for someone who needs something cheap, lightweight and stable for basic schoolwork. LibreOffice is plenty adequate and the way Mint Cinnamon is laid out is actually quite intuitive.

If I had kids right about now, their first machines would be Mint Cinnamon machines made from older MacBook Airs.

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
As a result I had to pay more than the MBA cost to get an iPad Pro with an OS that is vastly inferior to the less-expensive laptop. Even though it largely works for what I'm asking it to do, it still frustrates me that the file management, multitasking, audio source management, compatibility, etc are basically just iPhone-grade. On such a large screen, those nerfed functions are painfully apparent and clunky.
Well, let’s look at what you’re getting:
Superior speakers
Superior camera
Mini LED Display
Face ID

Yeah, the OS is a downgrade in some ways, but as you pointed out, also an upgrade based on your physical needs.

If you want to pay less, buy the smaller iPP or buy an M1 refurb off of the apple refurb store for a few hundred bucks less.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I was briefly intrigued but it seems that cellular service isn’t an option. Definitely a requirement in a tablet for me. As someone who’s been waiting on the Linux moment since before Windows95, well… still waiting…

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: zapmymac and -DMN-

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'd argue that the right distro could be a great fit for a beginner user. Just messing with Linux Mint Cinnamon, I immediately thought that it would make a great first-laptop for someone who needs something cheap, lightweight and stable for basic schoolwork. LibreOffice is plenty adequate and the way Mint Cinnamon is laid out is actually quite intuitive.

Only if the hardware is supported out of the box. I’ve used Mint myself and getting the wifi and touchpad working on my laptop was a major PITA.

Support isn’t as easy on Windows. If you encounter an issue on Linux, chances are you’d need to do more extensive reading versus a quick solution on page 1 of Google search.

LibreOffice works okay as long as you don’t need to send/receive documents to other people on Windows. Sure, LibreOffice allows export to Microsoft Office file types but compatibility and formatting can be wonky at times.

I think for beginner users, a Chromebook is the easier option instead of a full desktop Linux distro.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I love Linux Mint. But it isn't as "simple" and straight forward as Windows. And as inferior as Windows is on tablets, Linux is even worse. But hey, if it'll work for you that's what matters.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I'm thinking a laptop is better for Linux than a tablet.
Not so sure Linux is touch friendly but is Windows?
A Chromebook is easier but Linux has more options.
I don't have a Chromebook and don't know how well Linux works on a Chromebook.

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Looks interesting, but there have been many, many products that beat Apple on the spec sheets but turned out to be terrible in real use. Implementation involves taking care of a thousand details—does touchscreen support in these distros mean a touch-first UI/UX or are you pushing a mouse pointer around stock Gnome, does sleep/wake happen instantly and reliably, is the chassis and keyboard a flimsy rattle-y mess—and flings with these devices often end in the realization that we’ve become more than a bit spoiled here in the walled garden.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If whoever trying out that linux tablet wants to play any popular mobile games on the go, either the battery life would tank if android emulator allows the program to run, or the game doesn’t work at all.
Linux’s own software library is not really top of the class Either, particularly in commercial software department (professional media production, adobe, microsoft office, a large portion of engineering software and so on).
Currently there are just too many hurdles to consider linux tablet as an alternative to iPad or even Windows tablet. Maybe with time the situation will change?

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Looks interesting, but there have been many, many products that beat Apple on the spec sheets but turned out to be terrible in real use. Implementation involves taking care of a thousand details—does touchscreen support in these distros mean a touch-first UI/UX or are you pushing a mouse pointer around stock Gnome, does sleep/wake happen instantly and reliably, is the chassis and keyboard a flimsy rattle-y mess—and flings with these devices often end in the realization that we’ve become more than a bit spoiled here in the walled garden.
The entire history of Google laptops and tablets is basically what you’re saying.
Especially that $1000 pixel book from a couple years ago, that thing wanted to be a MacBook so bad and was great… until people use it and it wasn’t.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Looks like it would be a very nice touchscreen laptop in 2018

Looks like the N200 isn't quite as performant as an A13 but it should be great for Linux use
1692582068107.png

Last edited:

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
I have been so disappointed in seeing no linux phones come to market, but I will keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Nah. Plenty of serious stuff done on Linux. It likely powers majority of the world’s servers. I’m guessing it’s also used by a lot software developers.

Nope. A large share of web servers, but 75% or so of all servers run Windows.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Only if the hardware is supported out of the box. I’ve used Mint myself and getting the wifi and touchpad working on my laptop was a major PITA.

Support isn’t as easy on Windows. If you encounter an issue on Linux, chances are you’d need to do more extensive reading versus a quick solution on page 1 of Google search.

LibreOffice works okay as long as you don’t need to send/receive documents to other people on Windows. Sure, LibreOffice allows export to Microsoft Office file types but compatibility and formatting can be wonky at times.

I think for beginner users, a Chromebook is the easier option instead of a full desktop Linux distro.
Yep - too many are only looking at the using of the device/OS when everything is functioning correctly. It's when something gets crossed up that Linux becomes problematic and more difficult to troubleshoot and fix.

Reactions: progx and haruhiko

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
The ability to get in there and really change things up in Linux is both a gift and a curse.

Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to navigate, but the minute you tell most people they need to sudo in to do something via terminal it’s game over.

• Haha
Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
You really summed this up perfectly.

Back in the early to mid-2000s I used Linux exclusively. I was even compiling my own Gentoo installs from scratch and spent a stint working as a Linux server admin.

I stopped using Linux when I switched to a Mac because I found it gave me all the benefits of Unix without the jankiness.

I still occasionally try Linux distros in VMs and I'm always shocked to see how little they have progressed in 20 years. Distros that are meant to be user friendly like Ubuntu and Mint still require constant terminal use and stock apps (even the app stores themselves) are frequently broken out of the box.

I couldn't imagine running Linux on the desktop for anything beyond very basic web browsing and e-mail, let alone on a device like a tablet which requires such detailed integration between software and hardware. Heck, even Windows would be much better.

Basically the only realistic daily use scenarios I can think of where Linux over Windows would be beneficial are:
1. As an e-mail and web browsing machine in a charitable organization where money can't be spent on Windows licenses
2. For very specific IT or scientific work, but even then I don't know why you wouldn't just run Linux in a VM (or SSH into another machine)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.