Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I use my workstation mostly on linux and occasionally boot on windows. I personally wouldn’t want linux on laptop, let alone a tablet. It’s damn powerful, just not user friendly. I also have an iPad Pro in my workflow doing real work.
My setup is pretty much a Linux workstation 128 GB RAM, 4090 GPU.
16 MBP 64 GB M1 Max, and an M1 iPad Pro.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Sales doesn’t mean a product is good, it means consumers believe the marketing.

It only takes a short period of working in retail/product design to realize that consumers are reeeeeeally gullible.

Which is why basically every big company’s product values have plummeted while sales remain high. They’ve realized that marketing is more powerful than good products.
Suffice to say, we disagree. Sure marketing can be powerful, but marketing alone very seldom works long term (e.g. 13 years of iPads); it takes good products.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Suffice to say, we disagree. Sure marketing can be powerful, but marketing alone very seldom works long term (e.g. 13 years of iPads); it takes good products.
Good products are what got Apple their huge momentum. Now they’ve slacked off because loyalty is doing all the work. When was the last time they actually solved a huge workflow obstacle instead of just adding Memoji?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Good products are what got Apple their huge momentum. Now they’ve slacked off because loyalty is doing all the work. When was the last time they actually solved a huge workflow obstacle instead of just adding Memoji?
They solved lot of issues. Unified Memory literally saved me from buying an expensive NVidia GPU with 48 GB VRAM. M1 Max may be slower than my NVidia, but I do get frequent out of memory errors On 4090.I don’t care about marketing, People buy devices for their needs. Apple so far is only company that offers the whole package in unified memory.

Reactions: bondr006

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012

I’m frustrated with the limitations I come across every day with iPad as well. But why did you buy one if this is how you view Apple’s existing strategy?

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Sales doesn’t mean a product is good, it means consumers believe the marketing.

It only takes a short period of working in retail/product design to realize that consumers are reeeeeeally gullible.

Which is why basically every big company’s product values have plummeted while sales remain high. They’ve realized that marketing is more powerful than good products.
There is an age old saying, "Speak/vote with your wallet." Apple's products have been around way long enough now that people know the quality and utility of their products and whether they value/like/need them or not, with or without the marketing. Apple's Market Cap is up to almost 3 Trillion, so no plummeting values there. I strongly agree with @Allen_Wentz and @TechnoMonk on this.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
...When was the last time they actually solved a huge workflow obstacle instead of just adding Memoji?
Answers:
1) My M2 MBP solves a huge workflow obstacle with Apple's Unified Memory Architecture and 96 GB RAM. The impact of those two new things are already huge for me and I am confident that they will continue to be even more impactful as time goes on.

2) The camera improvements in each new iPhone Pro have provided substantive improvements to my enterprise-critical work. YMMV.

Apple products have been evolving nicely. Folks who claim things like just adding Memoji are flat wrong.

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I’m frustrated with the limitations I come across every day with iPad as well. But why did you buy one if this is how you view Apple’s existing strategy?
Because I need a large-screen portable device and can't use laptops due to my apparent susceptibility to carpal tunnel syndrome.

I was well aware that I was spending money on a subpar product, but until this StarLite 5 announcement, nothing else was even remotely suitable.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Because I need a large-screen portable device and can't use laptops due to my apparent susceptibility to carpal tunnel syndrome.

I was well aware that I was spending money on a subpar product, but until this StarLite 5 announcement, nothing else was even remotely suitable.
Now the iPad Pro is a subpar product?
roll eyes 3.png
To you maybe. To me it is Apple's most innovative and flexible product they have ever made. I easily take care of my real estate and property management business with my M1 iPad Pro 11. It is because of that very iPad that I sold my 2019 16' MBP and have never looked back. If you have so much disdain for Apple and its products, why are you here?

• Haha
Reactions: hacky

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012

I empathise with your specific needs because I also require lightweight devices due to a poor back.

In addition to the StarLite, could Samsung’s tablet offering be a good alternative for you? Similar form factor to an iPad with the Ultra having a bigger screen. Moreover, you could avoid Apple’s limitations.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
You have an argument for every positive thing someone has to say about Apple.
Hyperbole again.

I’m a detractor against any company that lets quality control slide and removes the genuinely-useful features and options that made them great to begin with.

Apple has some amazing plus sides. M-series chips, pro software like Final Cut and Logic, hardware/software aesthetics, but they’re relying on the good side to make an easy enough argument to ignore the bad.

• Sad

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I empathise with your specific needs because I also require lightweight devices due to a poor back.

In addition to the StarLite, could Samsung’s tablet offering be a good alternative for you? Similar form factor to an iPad with the Ultra having a bigger screen. Moreover, you could avoid Apple’s limitations.
You talking that new 14 inch thing they just announced? Looks intriguing for sure. Though it also seems software-limited from the little research I’ve done.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
You talking that new 14 inch thing they just announced? Looks intriguing for sure. Though it also seems software-limited from the little research I’ve done.

That’s the one. Last years model will also be heavily discounted now.

The big reason I’m still using iPad is because of the Affinity suite which is necessary for my design work. Samsung recently helped get LumaFusion ported over to Android so I’m hoping they’ll do the same with Affinity.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
That’s the one. Last years model will also be heavily discounted now.

The big reason I’m still using iPad is because of the Affinity suite which is necessary for my design work. Samsung recently helped get LumaFusion ported over to Android so I’m hoping they’ll do the same with Affinity.
Those ARM processors though, very limiting to my operating system options.

That's a big reason I'm really hoping this StarLite 5 turns out decent. Since it's basically laptop hardware, I can run a whole lot more. Theoretically I could even dual-boot Linux and Windows if I ever had a need to run Windows on a mobile device.

• Sad

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
I’m a detractor against any company that lets quality control slide and removes the genuinely-useful features and options that made them great to begin with.
Subjective. As far as I am concerned, Apple maintains some of the best quality products available on the market. In the 30 years I have been using Apple's products, I have had 1 product issue that I had to go to the Genius Bar for, and that was a bad battery in my iPhone 5. They replaced the iPhone which was out of warranty with no questions asked. Stellar quality and customer service if you ask me.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki and hacky

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Subjective. As far as I am concerned, Apple maintains some of the best quality products available on the market. In the 30 years I have been using Apple's products, I have had 1 product issue that I had to go to the Genius Bar for, and that was a bad battery in my iPhone 5. They replaced the iPhone which was out of warranty with no questions asked. Stellar quality and customer service if you ask me.
The hardware experience has been excellent for me. Only unexpected issue I've ever had was an iPhone 6S battery go bad THREE TIMES, being replaced under warranty each time. That said...

You haven't experienced the memory leaks, app crashes, missing sidebar items, windows that vanish after maximizing, inconsistent and unreliable iCloud syncing, random Launchpad layout resetting, preferences not saving, Quick Look failing to load, file save/load dialog not remembering where it was, gestures deciding not to work, Bluetooth connection problems, Wifi passwords resetting, constant waking from sleep and draining the battery, share and export functions vanishing from the menus, etc etc etc in macOS?

Or maybe the lock screen freezing, apps instantly reloading due to terrible RAM management, background process runaways, keyboard not appearing or getting stuck on the screen, shortcuts failing for no reason whatsoever, AirPods dropping or only connection on one side, UI elements appearing halfway off the screen, battery draining for no reason whatsoever, music files not copying properly, Files app not copy/pasting properly, notifications not appearing, etc etc etc in iOS/iPadOS?

These and many more bug all appear consistently on my devices, work devices, friends/family devices, whether new hardware, older hardware, fresh install, or update. It ain't just an isolated case here and there.

The more lights Apple puts on the tree, the more bulbs burn out.

They are, objectively, getting sloppier with every release. There's a reason I'm holding on to my classic Mac Pro with Mojave until it will no longer function, and it's not because I enjoy paying the power bill.

Don't even get me started on their blatant and deliberate hardware designs that prevent me from fixing things myself.

EDIT: Forgot to add the experience I've repeatedly had with multiple Apple TVs where it won't sign in, then when it does, won't download the apps and just sits there spinning. Also randomly decides not to appear in my AirPlay or Casting options. My $40 Roku has been utterly flawless and does exactly what I ask every time.

Mr Magoo

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Wouldn’t you like to know
The hardware experience has been excellent for me. Only unexpected issue I've ever had was an iPhone 6S battery go bad THREE TIMES, being replaced under warranty each time. That said...

You haven't experienced the memory leaks, app crashes, missing sidebar items, windows that vanish after maximizing, inconsistent and unreliable iCloud syncing, random Launchpad layout resetting, preferences not saving, Quick Look failing to load, file save/load dialog not remembering where it was, gestures deciding not to work, Bluetooth connection problems, Wifi passwords resetting, constant waking from sleep and draining the battery, share and export functions vanishing from the menus, etc etc etc in macOS?

Or maybe the lock screen freezing, apps instantly reloading due to terrible RAM management, background process runaways, keyboard not appearing or getting stuck on the screen, shortcuts failing for no reason whatsoever, AirPods dropping or only connection on one side, UI elements appearing halfway off the screen, battery draining for no reason whatsoever, music files not copying properly, Files app not copy/pasting properly, notifications not appearing, etc etc etc in iOS/iPadOS?

These and many more bug all appear consistently on my devices, work devices, friends/family devices, whether new hardware, older hardware, fresh install, or update. It ain't just an isolated case here and there.

They are, objectively, getting sloppier with every release. There's a reason I'm holding on to my classic Mac Pro with Mojave until it will no longer function, and it's not because I enjoy paying the power bill.

Don't even get me started on their blatant and deliberate hardware designs that prevent me from fixing things myself.

EDIT: Forgot to add the experience I've repeatedly had with multiple Apple TVs where it won't sign in, then when it does, won't download the apps and just sits there spinning. Also randomly decides not to appear in my AirPlay or Casting options. My $40 Roku has been utterly flawless and does exactly what I ask every time.
Agree on the Apple TVs acting strange, even identical once I have are behaving differently with same account. Really strange behaviour from the apps. Same app works on one apple tv 4k while on the other the app just closes down. But macs and ipads usually behave stellar. Hardly ever have issues with them.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Those ARM processors though, very limiting to my operating system options.

That's a big reason I'm really hoping this StarLite 5 turns out decent. Since it's basically laptop hardware, I can run a whole lot more. Theoretically I could even dual-boot Linux and Windows if I ever had a need to run Windows on a mobile device.
It will run out of the battery pretty quick or will be bulky device with brick battery.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Hasn't even come out yet so we don't know that for sure.
Basically vapor ware compared to iPad. Lol. I use Linux workstation daily, and have seen how it drains batteries of laptops, with big bricks. I wouldn’t touch Linux on a laptop let alone a tablet. System76 with their custom efficient Pop Os based on Linux sells laptops, their 9 hr battery life outside of watching videos is more like 3 hours with 50% throttling.
If these guys can come up with more efficient Linux, I will be surprised.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010

You either have to be one of the unluckiest people on this planet, either that or I am one of the luckiest, because I have not had any of those problems. Yes, all technology has glitches occasionally, and everyone expects that, but in my experience Apple has one of the best track records for quality, customer care, and quickly getting OS issues fixed.

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I bought my iPad Pro to be my mobile simple computer: casual web browsing, light document editing, maybe some clerical tasks, blah blah blah. I previously had a MacBook Air M1 to do these things on but laptops aggravate my carpal tunnel so it had to go.

As a result I had to pay more than the MBA cost to get an iPad Pro with an OS that is vastly inferior to the less-expensive laptop. Even though it largely works for what I'm asking it to do, it still frustrates me that the file management, multitasking, audio source management, compatibility, etc are basically just iPhone-grade. On such a large screen, those nerfed functions are painfully apparent and clunky.

Besides. It's just bad product management so sell a device with laptop-grade hardware, that costs more than a laptop, and is less versatile than a laptop. I will die on this hill, so flame away. Basic product management 101 and Apple has failed.

Star Labs just dropped their StarLite 5 tablet: 12.5" screen, CoreBoot, and runs Linux Mint (which I really really like) or a bunch of other Linux distros OR WINDOWS if you want for HALF THE PRICE OF THE IPAD PRO. It's $500! AND IT HAS A HEADPHONE JACK. AND TWO USB-C PORTS AND MINI HDMI. The more I read the more I'm drooling. This has value potential written all freaking over it.

I'm waiting for reviews to happen, but I'm having a very difficult time not pre-ordering it. It seems to be everything I'm waiting in vain for the iPad to be and has all the value that Apple refuses to provide.

I was very intrigued until I looked at the tech specs. While most everything is great (16GB RAM, 512GB SSD up to 2TB, microSD card slot, etc), its processor, an Intel Alder Lake N200, is rather terrible. The only thing this processor has going for it is power consumption (which makes sense given this is a tablet), but otherwise it's equivalent to a 5 or 6 year Core i3.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
You either have to be one of the unluckiest people on this planet, either that or I am one of the luckiest, because I have not had any of those problems. Yes, all technology has glitches occasionally, and everyone expects that, but in my experience Apple has one of the best track records for quality, customer care, and quickly getting OS issues fixed.
I'm glad the odds have favored you. My perception of Apple would be much better if me and almost everyone I know were as lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.