Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakerz

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
I have a Dell U3417W (3440x1440) and the "defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO" trick that worked in Mojave no longer works in Catalina. Fonts looks blurry and it's just not pleasant to look at...

Does anyone have a LG 34WK95U-W? It's the only 5K ultra wide that I can find.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I am running a lg 34uc88 via hdmi 2.0 and have no issues. Fonts look better on Catalina vs Mojave. Running it via caldigit TS3 thunderbolt dock.
I stay away from dell monitors when using Mac. Seems they don’t play well together.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I have a Dell U3417W (3440x1440) and the "defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO" trick that worked in Mojave no longer works in Catalina. Fonts looks blurry and it's just not pleasant to look at...

Does anyone have a LG 34WK95U-W? It's the only 5K ultra wide that I can find.
Can you post a pic of the font issues?

shakerz

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.26.39.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.26.39.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.26.55.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.26.55.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.27.08.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.27.08.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.29.36.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 18.29.36.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,087

Herbit

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
I have a LG Ultrawide on my Mac mini 2012 with Thunderbolt. The CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled worked well under Mojave, but with Catalina I have a really weird mix. Subpixel rendering is not working in most Apple apps any more (Safari, Mail, Finder, iTunes, Reminders) but it is working in Notes and Terminal. In most 3rd party apps it is working, like Google Chrome.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 18.40.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 18.40.22.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 835
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 18.41.47.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 18.41.47.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 870

b1narych0ice

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
I have an ultrawide and I'm seeing the same lack of sub pixel rendering in most apps (Mail, Finder), even with the CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled command that fixed the issue for me on Mojave. 2012 rMBP, Dell U3415W.

I guess I'm glad I found this thread and confirmed I'm not just picking nits and going blind, but it's going to drive me nuts if there isn't a quick fix like last time around... and it's really strange that it's only the first party apps that look like poo.

jickywitit

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
I can confirm I am having the same issues on my iMac Pro. Tried the usual:

defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO

This seems to work with some third party apps like iTerm and VSCode, however Apple's proprietary apps do not have the antialiasing effect. Everything looks way too light and jagged for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 9.21.54 AM (1).png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 9.21.54 AM (1).png
    310.7 KB · Views: 714

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Also having the same issue with Apple's proprietary apps. The worst is actually Messages.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
My understanding is that the intent was to declare subpixel rendering as dead in 10.14 Mojave, but they hadn't removed some of the code yet. Perhaps they've now removed further swaths (but apparently still not all?) of code in 10.15 Catalina.

Having said that, I just checked my AppleFontSmoothing setting, and it was zero. I changed it to 3:

Code:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

…and now Terminal and Notes (after a relaunch) render text not only thicker, but with colored subpixels.

The reasons for deprecating subpixel rendering are complicated, but as far as font smoothing thickness goes, my wish is they'd just provide a slider to let you adjust it. The Catalina default just feels too thin to me.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
There's a lot of confusion about this issue, so I decided to investigate it myself.

I'm using a Dell P2715Q 27" 4K external monitor. I've tried the CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled workaround in Mojave (along with the various font smoothing value options), and still can't get acceptable font rendering (one can see this in, for instance, reading the NYTimes in Safari). Thus I've stayed with High Sierra. Others on this thread have also found the Mojave workaround doesn't give the readability they get in High Sierra. So what's going on? The answer seems to be that, while subpixel rendering can be activated in Mojave (M), it doesn't work the same way it does in High Sierra (HS). Specifically, in HS, gray base text most stays dark gray, with colored pixels added around it; by contrast, in M, much of the base text is changed from gray to other, lighter colors, thus reducing contrast. As much of Apple's menu text is gray rather than black, this effect reduces contrast throughout the OS.

Take a look at the screenshot below. The NYT renders its bulleted text in gray. Here I used the Digital Color Meter to look at the the circled three-letter sequence "era" in "relatives". Look at the middle letter ("l"). In HS, the vertical bar of the letter is still gray. By contrast, activating subpixel rendering in M turns it blue.

[N.B.: There's an artifact in the DCM with HS; it changes how the letter is displayed as the cursor moves. So offsetting the cursor to the left in HS changes the appearance of the "l". In particular, I don't think the added subpixels are displayed correctly for the "l" when the cursor is centered on the "l". This does not happen in M.]

subpixel rendering HS vs Mojave.png

To confirm that the original color of the text really is gray, here are screenshots of the DCM in M with subpixel rendering off.

You can also see that increasing font smoothing doesn't actually make the letters thicker (i.e., it doesn't darken more pixels). Rather, it makes the darkened pixels darker, thus giving the appearance of added thickness.

subpixel rendering Mojave default.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
For what it’s worth, I am gonna give up 1080 and 1440p and get the 24 inch 4K monitor, which is near Retina resolution.

Apple is clear on this, we do not care about low PPI monitors anymore.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
For what it’s worth, I am gonna give up 1080 and 1440p and get the 24 inch 4K monitor, which is near Retina resolution.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion and ordered a P2415Q last night.

Reactions: StellarVixen

shakerz

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
I'm upgrading to a 5k display as well but it sucks having to go from a 34" ultra wide to a 27"...

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015

From my disappointing experience (YYMV) seeing a 4K LG 24" (184 ppi) with Mojave, it's more restrictive than that: They actually don't care about what anything below a retina (220 ppi) looks like, since that's what seems to be required to look good post-High Sierra.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Text (and everything else) on the P2415Q (which is not 220 ppi) looks fantastic in Catalina.

I will say though, while I was waiting for it to be delivered, I undid the old commands that worked on Mojave, with this combo (with a login/logout after each one):

Code:
defaults -currentHost delete -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing

defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool YES

...and text clarity did improve compared to how it looked right after upgrading to Catalina, it just wasn't great. I think there's an issue with the commands we all ran for Mojave, where somehow when you upgrade to Catalina it messes things up further.

shakerz

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
You're right. Setting "CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled" to "true" seems to have fixed most of the issues. It doesn't look perfect but it's a lot better.

Edit: I guess I was celebrating prematurely ... now the font looks like trash in VSCode

Beardier

macrumors newbie
You're right. Setting "CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled" to "true" seems to have fixed most of the issues. It doesn't look perfect but it's a lot better.

Edit: I guess I was celebrating prematurely ... now the font looks like trash in VSCode
If you want to fix this problem use command:
defaults write com.microsoft.VSCode.helper CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
Btw I don't observe a problem on another new user. I think problem with config, and commands which I used in Mojave, because when I use this
defaults delete -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled
And I re-enter the user, the problem goes away

Herbit

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Text (and everything else) on the P2415Q (which is not 220 ppi) looks fantastic in Catalina.

I will say though, while I was waiting for it to be delivered, I undid the old commands that worked on Mojave, with this combo (with a login/logout after each one):

Code:

...and text clarity did improve compared to how it looked right after upgrading to Catalina, it just wasn't great. I think there's an issue with the commands we all ran for Mojave, where somehow when you upgrade to Catalina it messes things up further.

Thanks! I guess this is better than to set CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled = NO and have this weird mishmash in different apps. So time to say goodbye to subpixel rendering. ?

b1narych0ice

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Milwaukee, WI

Code:

This was a pretty dramatic improvement for me, I'm not 100% sure that it looks as good as pre-update but it's definitely the best that fonts have looked in apple apps since upgrading. I agree that it's the commands we ran on Mojave that probably caused the issues.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I tried this command: defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool false

Followed by this command: defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

on 2017 MBA non-retina. Did nothing. :(. Fonts still very thin and rough.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1

Code:

Thanks. That is the monitor I am definitely going to buy.

dmson

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019

Code:

Just registered to tell that this worked for me as well on a 2012 MBP and a 2017 MBA, upgrading from Mojave to Catalina. Not perfect, but reasonable. Thank you very much!

Tusskan

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Did anything changed in today's dev review 10.15.1, that thing is really bothering me on my non-retina external display, on the rMBP 2018 it is ok and it works as it should.

Reactions: MoparShaha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.