Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Isn’t the LCD display itself. Actually, the LCD isn’t bad. Everything looks sharp unless I put the phone in my face and look really really close. The contrast is also nice and the blacks are pretty black for LCD.

The one thing I dislike, almost hate, about the iPhone 11 (and the XR) is:

The bezels around the screen.

The bezels are too damn thick on this phone.

I had the iPhone XS Max (lost it). I absolutely loved that phone, and yes I miss the beautiful OLED screen and the thinner bezels.

The bezels on the XS and 11 Pro iPhones are thicker than the bezels on many other smartphones out there but they serve a practical purpose: prevent accidental input on the screen from just holding the phone.

The bezels on the 11 Pro models (also X and XS) are the perfect size IMO. Not ridiculously thin, but thin enough that you forget that they’re there.

Sadly I still can’t get used to the bezels on the iPhone 11, probably never will. They’re just too noticeable for me. Even my iPhone 8 Plus had thinner bezels (yes, with a chin and a forehead).

Ridiculously big bezels aside, I have nothing else to complain about the iPhone 11. The battery life is actually fantastic, etc.

I‘m hoping Apple’s next iPhone is a redesign. No more rounded designs like a bar of soap please. Give us a big iPhone 5 body with an all screen front.

kingapple

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
Totally agree, had a XR myself for about a month and couldn’t unsee them besides when watching videos. They make the phone look cheap and also kinda like everything is crammed even though they’re not. 11 Pro Max has a bezel thiccer than most android phones as well, but it never annoys me or get’s in the way. It just blends in with the display.

Reactions: Aydy and Sorig

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Put a case on ot
No thanks. I’ve never put a case on any of my iPhones since the iPhone 3G.
And a case would only make the already thick enough iPhone 11 look even thicker.

Guess I’ll just deal with it until next year’s release.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
The bezels don’t bother me at all I don’t even notice them and I came from an iPhone X. Also it’s a big phone so bound to be some thickness. But it is nothing out of the ordinary I don’t find it gets in the way of the functionality or even the look of it just seems normal to me. I like a phone like this something that looks like it is well made and will withstand a lot over time something that looks like it is built to last not something that feels thin and feels like it is going to fly out of my hand. Like to feel like I have a phone in my hand. And also the lcd is just fine don’t see a major difference between it and my x that I had.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Isn’t the LCD display itself. Actually, the LCD isn’t bad. Everything looks sharp unless I put the phone in my face and look really really close. The contrast is also nice and the blacks are pretty black for LCD.

The one thing I dislike, almost hate, about the iPhone 11 (and the XR) is:

The bezels around the screen.

The bezels are too damn thick on this phone.

I had the iPhone XS Max (lost it). I absolutely loved that phone, and yes I miss the beautiful OLED screen and the thinner bezels.

The bezels on the XS and 11 Pro iPhones are thicker than the bezels on many other smartphones out there but they serve a practical purpose: prevent accidental input on the screen from just holding the phone.

The bezels on the 11 Pro models (also X and XS) are the perfect size IMO. Not ridiculously thin, but thin enough that you forget that they’re there.

Sadly I still can’t get used to the bezels on the iPhone 11, probably never will. They’re just too noticeable for me. Even my iPhone 8 Plus had thinner bezels (yes, with a chin and a forehead).

Ridiculously big bezels aside, I have nothing else to complain about the iPhone 11. The battery life is actually fantastic, etc.

I‘m hoping Apple’s next iPhone is a redesign. No more rounded designs like a bar of soap please. Give us a big iPhone 5 body with an all screen front.

I will never understand why the bezels are a problem for some. I mean, i am super happy with my 8 Plus and the bezels on that phone are huge. So? Xr/11 is still all-screen...

Pixillated

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Virginia
The aspect ratio. Not wide enough. I loved everything about the iPhone 11. The color (yellow), the speakers (wow), the speed (it was fast), and the camera, especially night mode.
But, that narrow width and height really bothered my eyes, could not adjust.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have a feeling if the 11 didn’t have the aspect ratio that it does, the bezels wouldn’t be bothering folks like they currently do. The tall / narrow display really accentuates the bezels. If the pro max had the same bezel it wouldn’t look nearly as polarizing as on the Xr and 11.

Pixillated

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Virginia
The bezels did not bother me at all. My prior phone was an iPhone 8 Plus, talk about bezels :)
I just could not adjust to the width/ height ratio. I did give the iPhone 11 to my son and went back to the 8 plus.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
You should have returned it and gotten a phone you were happy with. It makes no sense to keep a phone you don’t like and then complain about it like you have.
I don’t have the privilege of just returning this phone. So yes, it makes sense for me to complain about the things I don’t like in a product I’m stuck with.

And the phone I was happy with I already had: the XS Max (thinner bezels) but I lost it. I had no interest in the iPhone 11 series, but I needed a new phone.

The reason why I went with the iPhone 11 instead of the Pro is because in my country the price difference between the 11 and the 11 Pro (non Max) is equal to 400 US dollars.

Android phones are out the question for me.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Agreed. Complaining about bezels says lots about how find ways to be bothered.
I agree as well. The bezels on the new phones are interesting. I admit I can tell they are thicker on the 11 when using it, even without using it side by side an OLED model. Yet, when others are on their phone and I glance at it, I could not tell you which phone they are on unless I saw the camera setup.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I get that some may find the bezels on the iPhone 6 - iPhone 8 outdated, but on the 11? You probably also complain about the low resolution of 828p... until you realize it doesn't change a thing, it's likely an issue you have with the phone on the first day, you get used to it real soon. If not, you have bought the wrong phone. I also thought that the Plus iPhone is just a bit too large and heavy when i first got it, but it wasn't an issue anymore after the second or third day with the phone. It's a normal size now.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I don’t have the privilege of just returning this phone. So yes, it makes sense for me to complain about the things I don’t like in a product I’m stuck with.

And the phone I was happy with I already had: the XS Max (thinner bezels) but I lost it. I had no interest in the iPhone 11 series, but I needed a new phone.

The reason why I went with the iPhone 11 instead of the Pro is because in my country the price difference between the 11 and the 11 Pro (non Max) is equal to 400 US dollars.

Android phones are out the question for me.

Why couldn't you return it? What country do you live in?

Reactions: Elitegate

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
After using for a couple of days the iPhone 11 Pro 256gb during my 14 days period I decided to go for an 11 128 gb and saved then £420 ($530) with this swap.

Initially I liked very much the iPhone Pro "pocket" size and slimmer bezels but after a while (couple of days) I am just fine with the iPhone 11 and enjoy very much the phone. Especially since none of the Pro extras are missing me and I really feel this is a 100% bargain (for me) without mentioning that the screen beside been an LCD screen has much whiter white (My iPhone 11 Pro was warmer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.