Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
The thing I dislike the most about the 11 (and XR) is that it's too big. If it were a bit smaller, I would've upgraded from my iPhone SE.

It boggles my mind how Apple didn't make a smaller iPhone XR/11, just like how they give us two sizes for the Pro models...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The thing I dislike the most about the 11 (and XR) is that it's too big. If it were a bit smaller, I would've upgraded from my iPhone SE.

It boggles my mind how Apple didn't make a smaller iPhone XR/11, just like how they give us two sizes for the Pro models...

I’m currently using a big phone but totally understand that smaller phones have a big market. My wife is hanging on to her iPhone 8 purely due to the fact any replacement would be a big increase in size. She hates the size of the 11 and Apple seem to be ignoring a market segment that prefer a sensible sized device.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s ridiculous to read some of the complaints on these forms about the bezels and notch. To put things in perspective, I’ve never come cross _anyone_ outside this site that would remotely care anything about a bezel or the notch on the iPhone. It just really shows you how unrealistic some of these observations are, I’m not taking away from anyone’s opinion, but it doesn’t put things in perspective of how people think in the real world outside MacRumors.

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Came from an iPhone 8 Plus so the bezels on 11 doesn’t really bother me; but I do feel the bezels are a bit much when comparing them to my wife’s iPhone X.

Actually what kinda bothers me is every time when I look at the screen real close, the screen is just not as great as the one on 8 Plus.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Came from an iPhone 8 Plus so the bezels on 11 doesn’t really bother me; but I do feel the bezels are a bit much when comparing them to my wife’s iPhone X.

Actually what kinda bothers me is every time when I look at the screen real close, the screen is just not as great as the one on 8 Plus.
Yeah the 8 Plus actually has a 1080p display.

There is definitely no excuse for Apple to have released the Xr and 11 with a sub 1080p display.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
It’s ridiculous to read some of the complaints on these forms about the bezels and notch. To put things in perspective, I’ve never come cross _anyone_ outside this site that would remotely care anything about a bezel or the notch on the iPhone. It just really shows you how unrealistic some of these observations are, I’m not taking away from anyone’s opinion, but it doesn’t put things in perspective of how people think in the real world outside MacRumors.

Some complain for the sake of complaining. I get when there are unexpected problems with an expensive device, but we are talking about the form and the design here. Makes no sense to complain about something after you bought it when there was ample opportunity to examine how the device was designed. It is like complaining about curved edge screens after I bought a Galaxy Note 10 as if I was duped.

Yeah the 8 Plus actually has a 1080p display.

There is definitely no excuse for Apple to have released the Xr and 11 with a sub 1080p display.

They don't need an excuse. Many would rather opt for the cheaper iPhone and are not fussy about 1080 vs 828. But if they do want 1080 and cheap then there is 8 Plus. Not sure why you think Apple needs to provide excuses for giving options.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The thing I strongly dislike about the iPhone 11:
- the iPhone 11 256 gb is the same price as the Note 10+ 256 gb (if you shop around)
- screen looks outdated (yes, I do see it)
- bezels too thick
- too small

Reactions: Wide opeN

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
They don't need an excuse. Many would rather opt for the cheaper iPhone and are not fussy about 1080 vs 828. But if they do want 1080 and cheap then there is 8 Plus. Not sure why you think Apple needs to provide excuses for giving options.
Ahh yes, the good old “they can sell whatever they want” non argument.

Yes they can provide a 828p screen in 2018 & 2019 and we can criticize all we want.

Many android phones sell for much cheaper and have a 1080p screen. 1080p has been the bare minimum for phones in this price range for a few years now. Hey I wouldn’t want an android but if they can do it, then why can’t Apple?

Reactions: compwiz1202

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Ahh yes, the good old “they can sell whatever they want” non argument.

Yes they can provide a 828p screen in 2018 & 2019 and we can criticize all we want.

I never said you couldn't criticize so if you want to talk about "non arguments" then start with that. You can also buy elsewhere or not buy at all.

Many android phones sell for much cheaper and have a 1080p screen. 1080p has been the bare minimum for phones in this price range for a few years now. Hey I wouldn’t want an android but if they can do it, then why can’t Apple?

They do. iPhone 8 Plus. But you bought the (somehow) non-returnable 828p massive bezel iPhone 11 anyway. Perhaps you should strive to be more informed about your purchase options. You seem to make really bad choices.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

You are correct... I believe the remedy is coming in 2020.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Yeah, really bad argument on your part here. And I’m gonna use the example, take the average consumer, do you think they even know what 828P is? Or 1080 P? Consumers have _no_ idea what that means, just like they don’t know the difference(s) between OLED versus LCD. Let’s not make something a bigger deal than it needs to be, Apples displays have always been known for being excellent in terms of calibration with brightness, color gamut and temperature.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Yes, I have a regular iPhone 11...

about screen resolution, 828p is fine for phone things. I don’t edit or watch movies on it. I do take some photos with it and the display is decent for a quick view. If I want screen resolution in iOS, my 12.9“ iPad Pro does the trick. It may not have an AMOLED display but it’s a beautiful high resolution LCD.

I don’t understand why a “budget” iPhone gets so much criticism for being simply what it is. Some sacrifices must be made to reach a price point and in this case, the regular iPhone 11 and it’s previous gen sibling the iPhone XR. Same chassis with some modifications, same LCD...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes, I have a regular iPhone 11...

about screen resolution, 828p is fine for phone things. I don’t edit or watch movies on it. I do take some photos with it and the display is decent for a quick view. If I want screen resolution in iOS, my 12.9“ iPad Pro does the trick. It may not have an AMOLED display but it’s a beautiful high resolution LCD.

I don’t understand why a “budget” iPhone gets so much criticism for being simply what it is. Some sacrifices must be made to reach a price point and in this case, the regular iPhone 11 and it’s previous gen sibling the iPhone XR. Same chassis with some modifications, same LCD...

I don’t know as though I’d call it ‘budget’, it’s a £700 phone which is about the market average. It’s an expensive handset really and is very premium feeling as we would expect from Apple.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I don’t know as though I’d call it ‘budget’, it’s a £700 phone which is about the market average. It’s an expensive handset really and is very premium feeling as we would expect from Apple.

despite the Apple “fluf”, it’s still Apple’s current gen budget phone in stark comparison to the Pro and Pro Max. I don’t mind it at all. I already have my 11 since release day.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
despite the Apple “fluf”, it’s still Apple’s current gen budget phone in stark comparison to the Pro and Pro Max. I don’t mind it at all. I already have my 11 since release day.
I suppose it’s how we each interpret their range. For me the 11 is what they aim at most of their consumers and I don’t think of Apple producing budget products for their biggest market. I think think are much more premium than that. I’d say the iPhone 11 is a mid tier device at the very least, but we all have our opinions I suppose.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have an iPhone 11. The thing I dislike the most is ...

... the notch.

It's a very poor design choice.

Why not either make the screen a bit longer and use the top just for sensors, or give an option to remove the display near the notch when playing games, videos, photos, etc.

I have a nice home screen, open photos, part of my photo is missing because of the notch, same for games, video, etc.

I think Face ID is great, but the notch, and weird display shape, is a bad design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.