Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I know. The bezels on the 11 still aren’t as bad as the bezels on the 6/7/8.
I think anyone would acknowledge that the bezels on the pre-X series phones are much more noticeable and prominent. However as dated as they may look to some these days, I would say at least on LCD phones they have served a purpose. With the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8 series and prior, landscape video filled the entire screen. In this case, the thick bezels actually formed a jet-black barrier around video allowing the video to be truly immersive. Now, with the new aspect ratio, video does not fill the entire screen of the new phones (X, Xr, Xs, 11, Pro, all sizes). With the OLED displays, this really is not an issue as the pixels behind the screen that must border the video can shut off, creating that same jet black (ink) similar to the bezels of the older models. On the 11, that is not the case. Light can still bleed through the screen that is turned black to border the video. It becomes almost a dark grey, vs ink black of OLED and the bezels of the older phones. I find this quite distracting when trying to watch YouTube, Netflix, videos sent to me, Social Media videos, etc. So while I do agree the look of the bezels on the 11 still are not as bad as the bezels on the 6,7,8...I feel at least the bezels on the older models serve a purpose.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Getting an 11 today, going with black, the bezels are a lot less noticeable on the black one.
Nice. I have been back and forth on black vs white. I wanted white to change things up after years of a black phone but just as you said, the bezels blend to the darker frame of the black phone better than any of the others, and particularly compared to the light silver frame on the white version.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Nice. I have been back and forth on black vs white. I wanted white to change things up after years of a black phone but just as you said, the bezels blend to the darker frame of the black phone better than any of the others, and particularly compared to the light silver frame on the white version.

Well I got to the store and went for White in the end ;)

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well, I have the 11 in my possession. Typically I set up at home but I wanted to make sure the screen was not warm, and instead bright white with a blue-ish hue like the display units. Not even close. It looked like it wasn’t even turned to full brightness next to the display units. Sad thing was, the associates personal 11 was worse than mine lol.

They brought out a second one...same thing. They were gonna bring out another and I was like no, let’s not deplete the stock looking for a unicorn. So I took it. I know with OLEDs it can take a while for the glue to dry and stuff to settle. Not sure if that‘s the case with LCD. I’ve never had this happen. Sure would have been nice to get one with a display like the store units though.

Edit: All settings were the same. No True Tone, no night shift, no reduce white point, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Well, I have the 11 in my possession. Typically I set up at home but I wanted to make sure the screen was not warm, and instead bright white with a blue-ish hue like the display units. Not even close. It looked like it wasn’t even turned to full brightness next to the display units. Sad thing was, the associates personal 11 was worse than mine lol.

They brought out a second one...same thing. They were gonna bring out another and I was like no, let’s not deplete the stock looking for a unicorn. So I took it. I know with OLEDs it can take a while for the glue to dry and stuff to settle. Not sure if that‘s the case with LCD. I’ve never had this happen. Sure would have been nice to get one with a display like the store units though.

Edit: All settings were the same. No True Tone, no night shift, no reduce white point, etc.

Yeah but what colour did you get?

• Haha
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

They brought out a second one...same thing. They were gonna bring out another and I was like no, let’s not deplete the stock looking for a unicorn. So I took it. I know with OLEDs it can take a while for the glue to dry and stuff to settle. Not sure if that‘s the case with LCD. I’ve never had this happen. Sure would have been nice to get one with a display like the store units though. It's difficult to compare with display models as these are usually cherry picked best examples.

Glue drying on screens is myth that's been repeated hundreds of times across the Internet over many years. If anything it was people scrabbling to find a reason why their new Apple product didn't look like others. I think I first started reading this on early ipad posts. The glue they use to laminate the displays is not visible.

If your screen is too yellow/warm then it's just the way this screen is performing with its calibration. Apple seem to have LCD and OLEDs that are either blueish, reddish, yellowish and a combination of all these variations. It's the screen lottery and I don't rate Apples factory calibration one bit when you can buy two, three, four of the same product, hold them side by side and see clear differences.

Since the X and 8, Apples calibration is set to make displays warmer so blue whites are a thing of the past. I felt when true tone was introduced its was a way of masking slight worse screens. There's clearly a wide margin of acceptable tolerances in the screens that are supplied to Apple, maybe to get as many devices out the door to meet demand? But these are just my wild theories.

Last edited:

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Getting an 11 today, going with black, the bezels are a lot less noticeable on the black one.

The black iPhone 11 has the opposite effect on me.

The bezels blend into the black frame and you end up with what looks like even thicker bezels. It looks like the phone is swallowing the screen.

I went with the white one.

Reactions: forestinjersey

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I want to know how the heck you "lost" your XS Max. That's tragic. Oh well, when you lose your 11 you can buy the phone you really want. Good luck.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
The black iPhone 11 has the opposite effect on me.

The bezels blend into the black frame and you end up with what looks like even thicker bezels. It looks like the phone is swallowing the screen.

I went with the white one.

I ended up with white too. Just love it.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Over a month later and still hate the bezels on my iPhone 11. Have not gone a single day without noticing them.

Considering getting one of the Pros. I wish I didn’t care so much.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Wow. I had an X and moved to an 11. (64 gig was out of space). All of the talk of huge bezels and the far inferior LCD screen had me thinking i'd get a Pro. But the 11 was great. The screen was much better than I expected and there hasn't been a single day I've noticed worried about the bezels.

The size is better than my X, the battery life is fantastic and I saved $400.

Different strokes for different folks.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Over a month later and still hate the bezels on my iPhone 11. Have not gone a single day without noticing them.

Considering getting one of the Pros. I wish I didn’t care so much.
Get the Pro, no point getting worked up over something when you could just get the device you want. I really don’t see the issue with bezels though.

bether

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2016
For me isn't big problem with frames on iPhone 11 :)

Attachments

• iPhones_.jpg
    iPhones_.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: d123

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I don’t have the privilege of just returning this phone. So yes, it makes sense for me to complain about the things I don’t like in a product I’m stuck with.

And the phone I was happy with I already had: the XS Max (thinner bezels) but I lost it. I had no interest in the iPhone 11 series, but I needed a new phone.

The reason why I went with the iPhone 11 instead of the Pro is because in my country the price difference between the 11 and the 11 Pro (non Max) is equal to 400 US dollars.

Android phones are out the question for me.

What you do mean you don't have the privilege of returning? Where did you buy this phone? You have a 14-day return period if you buy something from Apple Online or in the Store and i'm sure that also goes for third-party sellers. You get a full refund even if the packaging was already opened.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Over a month later and still hate the bezels on my iPhone 11.

Nothing wrong with the design of the phone. What's wrong is your expectations. I've been using the older design Plus iPhone for four years (the ones with the gigantic bezels) and I NEVER notice them in a distracting way ever. They've never bothered me ever. The only time I'm aware of them is when I read a thread like this. From my perspective, complaints like this are ridiculous... like being irritated that a car's rear tailpipe isn't flush with the vehicle. So what

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Yeah it doesn't look as good as the pros but spending 1000 on a phone is simply not happening for me.

It still looks better than the huge forehead and chin on the 6/7/8 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.