Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
@1x is for non-Retina, @2x is for Retina. I have separate PSD files for each size of my Aqua window controls, started out with the Retina versions and adjusted them to look good on non-Retina as well.

Good luck with your compete theme. If it's non-Retina only, I'd still be willing to try it out on my Mac Pro 5,1. Will there be a version for Mojave, or Sierra / High Sierra only?
Well, first of all, I must say that this is not mine, but OP's work. I am merely improving upon it, as much as I can.

And I barely figured it out how this even work few days ago. Apple is changing this from version to version. For an example, I am running the 10.9.5 on the separate partition, so I wanted to copy some resources, and I do not even know where those are located, because it doesn't even have SystemAppearance.car file. Why, Apple, just...why!?

Tell me, regarding the Mojave, does what works in High Sierra simply works in Mojave, too? Or has Apple screwed something up again? I am asking, because I see that you are familiar with it.

And I do not care about dark theme, it is obvious that dark theme must have a theme specially made for it. Would this same theme work with Mojave's normal theme, for example?

If not, I will probably abandon this. There would be no point in putting so much time and resources into something that will become broken in month or two when I upgrade to Mojave.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
And I barely figured it out how this even work few days ago. Apple is changing this from version to version. For an example, I am running the 10.9.5 on the separate partition, so I wanted to copy some resources, and I do not even know where those are located, because it doesn't even have SystemAppearance.car file. Why, Apple, just...why!?
The current theme file structure was introduced in Yosemite. Mavericks and earlier used ArtFile.bin, ArtFile200.bin, and SArtFile.bin stored in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/. A different tool exists to extract from and recompile those, and they are not compatible with anything Apple introduced in Yosemite or later.

Screenshot below is from my Mac OS X Lion VM. The file structure is the same in Mavericks.
ArtFiles.png

Tell me, regarding the Mojave, does what works in High Sierra simply works in Mojave, too? Or has Apple screwed something up again? I am asking, because I see that you are familiar with it.

And I do not care about dark theme, it is obvious that dark theme must have a theme specially made for it. Would this same theme work with Mojave's normal theme, for example?

If not, I will probably abandon this. There would be no point in putting so much time and resources into something that will become broken in month or two when I upgrade to Mojave.
In some cases the SystemAppearance files are backwards-compatible (the High Sierra ones work in Sierra and El Capitan), but usually not forwards-compatible without some problems showing up as a result.

With Mojave Apple has made more changes, so I wouldn't count on those files being backwards-compatible with High Sierra and earlier, nor the other way around. This is the reason I updated the High Sierra version of the Aqua traffic lights first, and will continue to have it available after the separate Mojave version is released.

Edit: It's worth noting the Mojave SystemAppearance files (as of the current beta) remain compatible with the current version of ThemeEngine. So at least theming Mojave is still possible.

Last edited:

xaosnox

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Why not use the original Apple UI Resources?

Attachments

• LeopardAquaGraphics.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 374

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Hi all,

I am absolutely new on this forum.
My question is why resources are no longer available.
I am very impressed about the presented mod's, so I like to use them.
Many thanks in advance for answering my question.

Cheers

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hi all,

I am absolutely new on this forum.
My question is why resources are no longer available.
I am very impressed about the presented mod's, so I like to use them.
Many thanks in advance for answering my question.

Cheers

Hi, the resources aren't available because I have a bad habit of taking them off the internet if I feel like there's nothing more to be done in the field of macOS theming. I am currently working my way around some of the restrictions of that but that's the reason. Given Apple's rapid, for me as a "themer/ricer", release-cycle for major updates it's kinda and up-hill battle with new so-called '.car' files to take into account. I do believe I have the files here offline on my computer, I don't delete much off of that.

Now that most everybody (including myself) moves forward to 10.15 in the coming months I will again have to re-organise and create all things anew because of incompatibilities with the current '.car' files on current macOS Mojave with 10.15.

If I, and everyone, could simply move files directly over to a new major release then that would be great. I suspect however, that Apple with 10.15 brings some new things into their OS that once again remodels most of their Appearance layouts if iOS apps are to be allowed on macOS.

The conversion might bring some new UI appearance as a result of that. Perhaps the program I currently use, ThemeEngine, doesn't function on 10.15.

This is all just my opinion on the matter. As of now, I produce very little themes or changes to themes due to various circumstances - such as a lack of imagination. I also have very little against the current macOS Mojave appearance - I often change the titlebar controls to control window actions and the scrollbar. I can change the window background too but the dark mode window background is pleasing enough - and to a degree also the lighter window background.

Thank you for taking interest in this work.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Many thanks for your explanation, Allan.
I would love to being able to use your resources on my system (10.13.6), but fully understand your position.
Thanks again!

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Hi, the resources aren't available because I have a bad habit of taking them off the internet if I feel like there's nothing more to be done in the field of macOS theming. I am currently working my way around some of the restrictions of that but that's the reason. Given Apple's rapid, for me as a "themer/ricer", release-cycle for major updates it's kinda and up-hill battle with new so-called '.car' files to take into account. I do believe I have the files here offline on my computer, I don't delete much off of that.

Could you please put the old versions up for download again anyway, at least temporarily?

I'm stuck on High Sierra anyway due to nVidia Web Drivers not being updated. (And even if that were to change, I'd consider a nice Leopard-esque theme reason enough to stay put.)

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Could you please put the old versions up for download again anyway, at least temporarily?

I'm stuck on High Sierra anyway due to nVidia Web Drivers not being updated. (And even if that were to change, I'd consider a nice Leopard-esque theme reason enough to stay put.)

Hi, I've re-uploaded the two variants to my Jumpshare account. Check the first page here in the thread - the links are below each image where I once removed the download link. Thank you for commenting :)
[doublepost=1557392227][/doublepost]
Many thanks for your explanation, Allan.
I would love to being able to use your resources on my system (10.13.6), but fully understand your position.
Thanks again!

If you wanted to take a look at the theme and you're on High Sierra still then I have just now updated the first page of this thread with new download links to the two variants.

Reactions: Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Hi, I've re-uploaded the two variants to my Jumpshare account. Check the first page here in the thread - the links are below each image where I once removed the download link. Thank you for commenting :)

Thank you, much appreciated!

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Is there some thread where this sort of effort has been done for Mojave? It can look like anything between Mavericks (10.9) and Puma (10.0).

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Maybe I did something wrong, but gradually I realize that the small traffic lights have not changed.
Can you advise me on how these traffic lights can also be adjusted or am I asking you too much now?

I must admit that I haven't changed those at all. I have on later projects however. I will see about changing those. I have some other projects going on right now and today is also sunday :)

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks for your quick answer, Allan.
Of course... enjoy your day off and other projects are more important, of course. I'll be patient. ;)

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
As a first, I tried to change the small (and mini) traffic lights for both SystemAppearance.car and GraphiteAppearance.car for High Sierra.
Because it is my first attempt, I'm not sure if they are okay and whether you can download them.
Please let me know.
Traffic lights on Dropbox

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
As a first, I tried to change the small (and mini) traffic lights for both SystemAppearance.car and GraphiteAppearance.car for High Sierra.
Because it is my first attempt, I'm not sure if they are okay and whether you can download them.
Please let me know.
Traffic lights on Dropbox

Your link doesn't go anywhere - :(

I forgot all about this task I had to look into.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Oh well ... I finally managed to contribute to this beautiful community ... however modest.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Oh well ... I finally managed to contribute to this beautiful community ... however modest.

I meant it not as an attack mind you. I was saying that I missed the boat on the more correct color palette of the graphite appearance that you have included which I think is a great contribution to the community, so thank you. :)

I don't know why I say and write things that gets to people like that - if you took it as an attack.

In all sincerity I do hope that you continue contributing. The Mac theming community isn't hostile. We're only about 4-5 people in total from a quick headcount. ?

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Don't worry... be happy! :D
I didn't take it as an attack at all. I was just glad to participate and that I can do something in return.
But if you want, you can specify the things that I can adjust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.