Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Planning on buying my 1st iPad this March/April, hesitating between Pro and non-Pro. Looking for some feedback from similar users.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I think the last comparisson I did between iPads is the 10.5" pro and ipad air 3 10.5".
Its a noticeable difference yes just like on the iPhone pro vs non pro, but it isn't THAT big a difference.
Sure side by side it looks and feels better, but when you use the device without constantly comparing it, you forget about it.

But there is many reasons to go for a pro than just the screen, face ID is really good, external connectivity is a bit better and so on.

So NO, it doesn't make your eyes bleed :)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Only you can decide how much that difference means to you. And Apple gives you two weeks return policy in most countries to come to that conclusion.

I personally prefer to have the best display tech that I can afford and went with the pro this time around.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Nope. The only time I actually care about >60hz is on the desktop anyway.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
No - but they "feel" slower as a result

ProMotion isn't necessary, but really nice once you get used to having it.

I hate pulling the "if Steve was around" card, but he absolutely would've had ProMotion across all Apple products by now.

Why?
Because it's simply a much better experience

That's what we've lost by having a supply chain CEO vs a product and experience oriented CEO

It's a real shame

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Only you can decide how much that difference means to you. And Apple gives you two weeks return policy in most countries to come to that conclusion.

This exactly. This is a personal perception/preference question where the opinions of others are really irrelevant. You have to see and decide if it makes a difference to you, irrespective of what others say.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This exactly. This is a personal perception/preference question where the opinions of others are really irrelevant. You have to see and decide if it makes a difference to you, irrespective of what others say.

What subject around here isn't like that?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I cannot use any non pro iPad anymore because of the 60Hz refresh, especially while scrolling txt! Really wish the mini 6 had a higher (even if 90) refresh! Fine for videos, but scrolling a wall of txt feels very strange (to my eyes)

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Planning on buying my 1st iPad this March/April, hesitating between Pro and non-Pro. Looking for some feedback from similar users.
No at all. 120hz is eyes pleaser, but it doesn’t make the 60hz looks bad and not comfortable.

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Yes, I hate looking at my Mini 6 display and the lack of a good display alternative in that size is one of the reasons why I am having trouble letting go of the idea of going back to Android and a foldable. For now I think the Mini 6 really only is usable for static content like reading a book which makes the entire devices not that useful.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I think there are other aspects to take into account as well on top of a "smooth" viewing experience as far as I have understood it.

A promotion screen has variable refreshrate meaning it can either eat more battery or less depending on how its being used. Less if you don't use it (lower refresh rate) and more when you are using it and it goes beyond 60hz.

Another aspect that I think many forget about is that the promotion also has a quicker "input" meaning that it will detect your fingers or pen quicker and if you use your apple pencil sketching away or do lots of fingertapping when gaming it might be a better experience.

Now, the above is obvious in tests and advertising but does it make a big difference in reality? I don't know to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Poppleropples

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
I don’t know why - And it surprised me, but I actually cannot tell the difference between a ProMotion display and non ProMotion. Have a 14 Pro, regular iPad and partner has a 13 Mini, I can’t notice a difference in use.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
I can't imagine how poor my eyesight would have to be, to be unable to differentiate between 60hz and 120hz

• Haha
Reactions: gusping

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I can't imagine how poor my eyesight would have to be, to be unable to differentiate between 60hz and 120hz
lol.. I actually envy people who cannot see the difference! Now because I can, I cannot use the cheaper iPads or the Mini 6 ( which I absolutely love!! )

Now I'm gonna have to cough up more $$ for a tablet that's only usage is on my treadmill at home ( need a distraction because cardio is boring!! ..to me )

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I have a 12.9 iPad Pro (M1), and a Mini 6. I do notice occasionally the lack of ProMotion. The only thing I really miss on the Mini is FaceID, and once in a while, the black levels / dynamic range of the Mini LED iPad Pro. I can easily live without ProMotion, but then my Mini gets far less use than my 12.9 Pro.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
After getting used to iPad Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, going back to anything older without ProMotion feels broken until I get used to it.

Reactions: alecgold

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My experience: I’ve been used to iPad Pro 120hz screens for years, first with my first 2018 11” iPad Pro, and now with my M2 11” iPad Pro.

When I grab a non-promotion iPad such as the mini or the Air, I really notice it. And I also have the feeling it’s a worse quality screen, although I guess you get used to it.

On iPhones tho, even tho the iPhones with Pro-Motion feel a lot fresher and smoother, I’m so used to the regular displays, that I don’t find those laggy or slow, by any means. I’m talking about LCD screens from both my iPhone 8 and my iPhone SE. they feel great.

I guess your mileage may vary.

Reactions: JonnyBlaze

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I had my Hack plugged into an OLED TV for a few weeks (120hz)

It was painful going back to normal 60hz at home.

It has me shopping one of the new OLED monitors or perhaps even a TV for it
(I have the space and love a massive screen at a distance. So easy on the eyes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.