Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah but part of what I was saying is that 60fps USED to be high refresh. Put on Gemini Man on UHD, it’s 60fps, looks like high refresh rate soap opera

The Hobbit movies were at 48fps and same effect. That’s pretty far from 120. But now somehow 60 is bad and choppy and only 120 is smooth. It’s nonsense

Gemini Man looks absolutely awful in 60fps on the 4K Blu-Ray.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When my 2018 iPad Pro was out for a few days for a battery replacement, I used a 9th gen iPad (belonging to my mom) for a few days, and I can't say I really missed anything. I mean, the screen was a little less nice, apps took a little longer to open, but I found I also preferred the curved back more, and Touch ID was still enjoyable to use.

I know there are a few games like grimvalor that do take advantage of that 120hz refresh rate, and playing the same game on my nintendo switch, it definitely feels less smooth. But generally, nothing I can't live without.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
Yeah but part of what I was saying is that 60fps USED to be high refresh. Put on Gemini Man on UHD, it’s 60fps, looks like high refresh rate soap opera

The Hobbit movies were at 48fps and same effect. That’s pretty far from 120. But now somehow 60 is bad and choppy and only 120 is smooth. It’s nonsense
That's what I mean, movies don't really benefit from more fps than 30, it even looks odd.
But dynamically rendered content absolutely does, especially on phones and tablets where you're really focusing your eyes on what's being updated on your screen as you scroll. Especially as text comes in, since we tend to start reading the text even when it's still in motion, not just when it stops.

Yes, 60hz may have been a gold standard for a long time, but so used to be 480p screens. Don't forget we're now putting in a lot more screen time on these devices in general as well, so something being easier on your eyes goes a longer way than before.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
That's what I mean, movies don't really benefit from more fps than 30, it even looks odd.
But dynamically rendered content absolutely does, especially on phones and tablets where you're really focusing your eyes on what's being updated on your screen as you scroll. Especially as text comes in, since we tend to start reading the text even when it's still in motion, not just when it stops.

Yes, 60hz may have been a gold standard for a long time, but so used to be 480p screens. Don't forget we're now putting in a lot more screen time on these devices in general as well, so something being easier on your eyes goes a longer way than before.
Oh definitely there’s a benefit, I think we’re counter arguing on two different points lol

What I’m saying is, it’s possible to have super fluid motion already on 60fps devices. Apple could already make the OS on those devices look HFR. Because of the media I have as examples, it’s already like that, 60 is already high refresh rate. 120 is definitely more so, but that super smooth motion is already possible without it.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I find the 60Hz refresh to be noticeably inferior, but still absolutely usable, just a degraded experience. If the iPad Air had ProMotion and zero other features from the Pro, I would go with the Air. I do care about this feature.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

This is a great explanation.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Planning on buying my 1st iPad this March/April, hesitating between Pro and non-Pro. Looking for some feedback from similar users.
If it helps, I thought I needed Pro motion on my iPad since having the original 10.5" iPad when it came out. I got the M1 iPad Pro and regret it because I could have got a cheaper iPad without the ProMotion display. For me 60 and 120Hz isn't a big thing.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
If it helps, I thought I needed Pro motion on my iPad since having the original 10.5" iPad when it came out. I got the M1 iPad Pro and regret it because I could have got a cheaper iPad without the ProMotion display. For me 60 and 120Hz isn't a big thing.
Everyone needs to try it for themselves. Often, 60hz is fine until you try higher, then it isnt. As a pc gamer anything below 120hz is vomit-inducing, but that’s just what I’m used to. I am jealous of folks who are happy at living life at 60hz.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Consistent frametimes matter more than average framerates. A steady 30fps will feel better than one ranging from 42-75fps. That's why iOS devices historically felt better than Android-- they were only 60fps but they could consistently deliver those frames every 16.6ms while the Android devices, while ostensibly faster, felt stuttery. These days Android hardware is fast enough that it isn't a problem any more, at least on flagships.

Also YEMV (Your Eyes May Vary), but there's some nuance to it. These things have diminishing returns; the difference between 30 and 60Hz is enormous and anyone can immediately feel it. I personally find 60->90 to be huge too, and 90->120 to be subtle but noticeable. Above that, I find it very difficult to tell a difference from 120->165, so I keep my monitor at 120Hz. But my experience isn't universal, some people find the difference from 60->120 to be subtle or unnoticeable, and some claim to feel it up to 360Hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.