Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
No...

Computer monitor, iPod touch 5, iPad 6, iPad 9, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S10+

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Partly battery saving.

Not sure why you linked back to this very thread, but here’s one of the many articles suggesting that turning off promotion has little if any impact on battery life. Of course, at the end of the day it’s your preference that counts.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not sure why you linked back to this very thread, but here’s one of the many articles suggesting that turning off promotion has little if any impact on battery life. Of course, at the end of the day it’s your preference that counts.

My bad. You asked why I turned off promotion. I’ve seen many of these articles but this is one comprise I make to have overall more battery life.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I find the non-ProMotion displays to be inferior but I don’t consider the ProMotion displays to be sufficient. At least on iPad. Neither has smooth scrolling, it’s just worse on the non-ProMotion displays. The only one where it’s jarring is the mini, where I’m a victim to “jelly scrolling” - I cannot unsee it. YMWV…

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I can't even imagine purposely disabling ProMotion, which is one of the best display features Apple has

🤣

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Nope. I have an iPad Pro 11 and iPhone 13 Pro Max both have pro motion. I can’t tell the difference between them and my iPad mini 6 which doesn’t have pro motion.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I have configured the iPad and iPhone for battery saving as it fits my use case and this is one of features I turned off. Practically to my perception this is a small but non-intrusive difference.
Thanks.

I have read a few articles and still can't figure out if promotion is saving batterylife or not. I guess if you use the device a lot scrolling pages etc and it uses it then it would consume more. Also, if it works as I understand it, that it picks up input quicker (touch) then that would affect batterylife somewhat.
But at the same time I get the impression that promotion can lower the battery consumption since it can switch below 60hz. Now, I might be mixing tech in different devices and assuming things, but if the device can drop to 1hz (might only be iPhones with promotion that can) it may save power.

Reactions: I7guy

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
OP understand there’s a difference between an iDevice at normal 60hz… and a promotion display with promotion turned off.

I have both type in phones and iPads. The devices without promotion look normal. The devices with promotion turned off go down to about 15fps. Apple exaggerates it in the hopes you turn it back on. Don’t forget the normal screens still operate at 60fps, which up until about five years ago was the gold standard of that super fluid motion. Now suddenly for some reason people act like 60 is what 30 used to be.

You can get a normal display device, it’ll look just fine. But if you get a promotion one it’s best to leave it on or THAT will make your eyes bleed

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
As you can see, ask for an opinion you will get one, just not necessarily facts. Its going to depend on your perceptions only. But sure, add my thoughts to the ‘60 hz or 120 promotion, dont really care’ crowd. I own multiple devices and the one I use is not based on its refresh rate but other parameters, overall size, what i want to accomplish. I am much more impressed with how a device handles blacks than its refresh rates.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
OP understand there’s a difference between an iDevice at normal 60hz… and a promotion display with promotion turned off.

I have both type in phones and iPads. The devices without promotion look normal. The devices with promotion turned off go down to about 15fps. Apple exaggerates it in the hopes you turn it back on. Don’t forget the normal screens still operate at 60fps, which up until about five years ago was the gold standard of that super fluid motion. Now suddenly for some reason people act like 60 is what 30 used to be.

You can get a normal display device, it’ll look just fine. But if you get a promotion one it’s best to leave it on or THAT will make your eyes bleed
Just because something was done a certain way does not mean it was ideal or un-noticeable. High refresh screens are much easier on the eyes, just in general. Especially for scrolling text.
I've had a 120 hz screen on my PC for 10 years now. It's unfathomable to me how some people can't see a difference.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I read a lot, and scroll trough endless reports. I’m 11+ hours a day on average om my m2 12.9 and 15PM. And I despise my 13” 2-in-1 dell latitude from work. I use it as little as possible a when I need to, I use it with 2 27” 4K monitors to make it useable.

So for me, even at 50, it makes a lot of difference.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
Just because something was done a certain way does not mean it was ideal or un-noticeable. High refresh screens are much easier on the eyes, just in general. Especially for scrolling text.
I've had a 120 hz screen on my PC for 10 years now. It's unfathomable to me how some people can't see a difference.
Yeah but part of what I was saying is that 60fps USED to be high refresh. Put on Gemini Man on UHD, it’s 60fps, looks like high refresh rate soap opera

The Hobbit movies were at 48fps and same effect. That’s pretty far from 120. But now somehow 60 is bad and choppy and only 120 is smooth. It’s nonsense

Reactions: Isamilis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.