Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That's the correct speed and not an older generation.
Wow that's disappointing. Thats surely down to the SSD inside, not the USB interface.

I'd expect around 1GB/sec (interface maximum is 1.25GB so allowing 20% for overhead) with a high speed SSD.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Wow that's disappointing. Thats surely down to the SSD inside, not the USB interface.

Yes, usually such drives use the controller and the flash of the SATA drives. Those have a 6 GBbit/s connection. The Sandisk Extreme 900 uses two of them combined in RAID 0 mode. This achieves more than 800 MByte/s which translates rp 6.4 GBit/s, which is only possible by using USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Now that NVMe USB cases and controllers do exist, speeds will get much faster but not as fast as when using Thunderbolt 3. My do it yourself TB 3 Samsung EVO 970 nearly reads 2.000 MByte/s which equals to 16 GBit/s, which is not possible by using USB 3.1 Gen 2:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Has anyone here bought/used an OWC Envoy Pro? Any feedback?

I'm currently using a Chinese (Orico) NVMe USB3.1G2 case, and I'm pretty much at my limit of patience with their stuff. This drive itself is a replacement for one of their SATA SSD cases (which I intended to use for the same purpose) that turns out to be a bit pedantic about power or connections. Now it seems to be a recurring theme with their devices.

I'm at the point where I think I need to just spend the money and order a decent model, even if it means paying the international shipping.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
From https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/

"OWC Envoy Pro enclosure is specifically designed for use ONLY with the factory SSD installed in select Apple Macintosh computers. Do NOT attempt to install or use OWC Aura or Aura Pro X SSDs in the Envoy Pro as you may damage the OWC drive, the enclosure, or both, and such damage is not covered under warranty. "

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
So my question is: Did I miss something, or are there just no portable Thunderbolt 3 external SSDs/SSD enclosures?

There are some external, portable thunderbolt 3 enclosures, but they are not cheap (especially when compared to USB3.1 Gen 2 enclosures. I purchased an HP P800 (https://www.amazon.com/HP-Portable-Thunderbolt-3SS21AA-ABC/dp/B07B2Z4NG2) with the intention of replacing the drive inside with a 1T Samsung drive I already had. However, I learned (the hard way) that HP treats this like their printers. The enclosure checks the drive for some indicator and dials down the performance significantly if it is not the original drive. With the original HP 256GB drive, it was getting 2200/1200 (read/write from Blackmagic) with the Samsung drive, I was getting 1200/1100.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on a thunderbolt drive, then find a USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure. These are limited to 10MB ... so 1/4 the top speed of Thunderbolt 3, but they are significantly cheaper.

thunderstruck

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Sydney Australia
There is now a "reasonably" affordable enclosure:

Wavlink Type-C Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe SSD Enclosure

which has been "on sale" for several weeks now. It was introduced at $50 but is now being sold at $70.

I have one and it works fine on a MBP 15" 2017 in macOS 10.14.5 and Windows 10 (bootcamp).

I'm using it with a crucial P1 1TB (yes it's not the fastest SSD out there) but for me, $150 is not a bad price to get 1TB of fast external storage. ?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
It was introduced at $50 but is now being sold at $70.

Thx for sharing. For anyone considering it, it looks like it's only on sale for another 15 hrs. It's showing $199.99 as regular price...could end up being less but probably not $70.

thunderstruck

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Sydney Australia
I just noticed that the product description does not mention that you can only use 22mm x 80mm SSDs with this enclosure because they have only sited the locking screw at the 80mm point (there are no holes for 60mm SSDs or shorter). And anything longer than 80mm won't fit.

Reactions: dabotsonline

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA

I bought 2 of these from NewEgg installed an "XPG SX8200Pro 2TB" in one and a WD Black "WDS512G1X0C 512GB" in the other. Very disappointed so far....
Installed on a 2018 I7 6 core Mac-mini running macOS Catalina 10.15 With 32gb memory and 1TB Apple SSD installed:

PROBLEMS$%#&%^!!*%&)&$#&%^.......

1.) Disappointing performance, Both drives seem to running about ~1/2 speed (read/write) when they are mounted

2.) Both drives disconnect when the computer wakes from sleep or sometime during sleep + random disconnects:

error.png

3.) Not only is this wave link adapter limited to the "2280 M.2 form factor"

AND/OR/BUT in the words of Homer Simpson... D'oh!!!!!!!!!

Due to its "very low profile" M.2 Key M socket...
It will only support 2280 M.2 NVME SSD's that are completely "FLAT" on the bottom.
Single sided PCB (Printed Circuit Board) only...
My WD SSD fit because it was completely flat on the bottom single sided PCB but the XPG SX8200Pro
had issues... the damned thing would not fit because....
It is a 2 sided PCB with bumpy electronic components wave soldered on the bottom...
You can't screw it down because these components get in the way and cause the SSD to be "bowed"
So... how did I test it you may ask???
I kluged it... didn't screw it down put some silicone heat transfer tape on the end and let the plastic lid
hold it in place rather than the screw. It worked?

4.) The housing is not all metal its a hybrid of cheap plastic and metal.

5.) Did not use the included hefty extruded aluminum heat sink... as it is held in place with 3ea plastic
spring loaded push-pin thingies that are a pain in the ass to remove also there was no included silicone heat transfer tape. Interestingly enough... the XPG ran pretty "cool" but the WD ran "hot," neither seemed to get hot enough to affect performance though... did not witness any apparent thermal throttling.

6.) The big issue for me is the macOS Catalina Thunderbolt 3 "Disk not ejected properly issue!!!"
Apple has had Thunderbolt for ~10 years now and they still can't get it right#!#%^&$@$*
This intermittent disconnect issue is very problematic for my needs...

USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

UNRELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I tried all the internet fixes I could find... Have an open ticket with Apple.

Just ordered a new 1TB Samsung 970evoPlus from newegg we will see if that makes any difference.

Have a great day

Last edited:
Reactions: d.steve

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
It’s not always apple’s fault. My intermittent mount issues have been related to the attached device.

Ex: thunderbay 4 needed a firmware update. Rock solid ever since.

Same thing with 860 EVO PRO firmware for Mac compat.

EDIT: I forgot to add...thanks for all of that great information about this enclosure, @sasabalac!

Last edited:

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA
Thanks...
I am aware of firmware updates for Apple compatibility and Samsung 970 EVO PLUS have downloaded same, in the event that my new drive has old firmware.

The Thunderbolt disconnect issue is a long (years) on-going "Elephant in the room" thing that no one wants to admit or talk about.
Could be Intel problem (as the Thunderbolt 3 chip in the Mac-mini is an Intel JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller)... Apple problem... or Thunderbolt accessory vendor problem.
It's a 3 way finger pointing contest... no one want's to take the blame.

Funny though...
These Thunderbolt 3 drives work fine on my Windows 10 Pro box with no disconnects.
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, Intel 8 core 9900K, 64 gb ram, Gigabyte GC-TITAN-RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 add in card, AMD VEGA64. running windows 10 pro?
[automerge]1571939946[/automerge]
For that matter...

Intel Thunderbolt 3 partner certified????

really??

Last edited:

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA
I love my Mac mini and macOS as I am an old time retired computer guru with may flavors of unix/linux (and windows ?) under my belt. As macOS is based on BSD unix, I love it but hate some of the things Apple has done with it... a love hate relationship so to speak. I hate windows with a passion but it clearly does some things better than macOS. Use it when I have too.

A word about Thunderbolt 3 add-ons...

Don't believe everything you read... I'll be happy to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge which is buried in Grant's tomb listed on Gbay(sic).

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA

Test on 2018 Mac-mini macOS Catalina 10.15, 1tb Internal Apple SSD, 32gb OWC ram

2TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVME SSD installed (kluged) in new Wavlink SSD enclosure above:

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 11.23.13.png

XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB PCI-E SSD
The XPG SX8200 Pro solid-state drive is designed for PC enthusiasts, gamers and overclockers. It utilizes the ultra-fast PCI-E Gen3x4 interface and new generation of 3D NAND flash, delivering peak read/write speeds of up to 3,500/3,000MBps. Coupled with SLC caching, DRAM cache buffer, E2E data protection and LDPC error-correcting code technology, the SX8200 Pro SSD offers you the performance, reliability and security needed for the most demanding workloads.

Disappointing speed results?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
They seem to be. My Samsung EVO 970 1TB (non plus, the old one) runs 2000 write and 2500 read in that aliexpress JEYI enclosure, and its 95% full.

(Btw, i've been running it for about half a year, maybe a little more. Works like a charm, no issues whatsoever)

I applied the thermal thingies, the disk runs from 50-60 on casual workload (or idle)

Reactions: ender78

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA
One last note regarding the wavlink stuff and misc. ssd products purchased online at SUMKINDA-EGG thing (sic.)

I wrote a multitude of reviews, some less than flattering, regarding SSD and Thunderbolt hardware recently purchased at SUMKINDA-EGG place. None of my reviews or comments were posted on the SUMKINDA-EGG web site.

FYI! They apparently only list the good reviews.

This bummer-egg place has been apparently been bought out by a certain "Asian Country based company"
who "apparently have done something" related to the lack of posting less than flattering stellar reviews.

Don't puts your eggs in one basket

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA

Test on 2018 Mac-mini macOS Catalina 10.15, 1tb Internal Apple SSD, 32gb OWC ram

Just tried my brand new "SAMSUNG 1TB 970 EVO Plus" in the new Wavlink device:

samsung.png

Better performance than XGP SX8200 Pro, however, same unwanted macOS disconnect problem
when waking Mac-mini from sleep:

1571956854759.png

Yes, it has been updated to latest Samsung firmware.

Runs a tad warm but better... faster

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

2TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVME SSD installed (kluged) in new Wavlink SSD enclosure above:

View attachment 872189

XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB PCI-E SSD
The XPG SX8200 Pro solid-state drive is designed for PC enthusiasts, gamers and overclockers. It utilizes the ultra-fast PCI-E Gen3x4 interface and new generation of 3D NAND flash, delivering peak read/write speeds of up to 3,500/3,000MBps. Coupled with SLC caching, DRAM cache buffer, E2E data protection and LDPC error-correcting code technology, the SX8200 Pro SSD offers you the performance, reliability and security needed for the most demanding workloads.

Disappointing speed results?

On you Mac Mini of the Four Thunderbolt 3 ports means one Thunderbolt chip every to ports. So if you already have a device in port 1 use the drive in
port 3 to get the queasiest speeds!

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA
thanks for your reply...
Been there done that, makes no difference especially if you are not accessing both thunderbolt devices at the same time.

On the Mac mini there are "2ea-TWO" "Intel JHL7540" chips, each chip has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports capable of 40gb/s bi-directional bandwidth. So in theory each of the 4 total Thunderbolt 3 ports are independently capable of 40gb/s bi-directional bandwidth. Bandwidth degradation occurs when you start daisy-chaining Thunderbolt 3 devices off of 1 Thunderbolt 3 port. As each Thunderbolt 3 device connected in the chain will have to share that 40gb/s bidirectional bandwidth.

This is exactly why devices like "OWC Express 4M2" that holds 4ea-Four M.2 Nvme SSD's can't run at full speed. Because you are funneling 4ea-Four "PCI Express 3.0 X 4" devices through a Thunderbolt 3 interface that only supports "4 lanes of PCI Express* Gen 3." So in order to get the full bandwidth needed for 4 M.2 NVME devices you would need "16 lanes not 4." Thunderbolt 3.... it ain't gonna happen.

Some products ie.: "NETSTOR NA622TB3 Thunderbolt 3 Four-Slot NVMe SSD Storage" with built in "PCIe Switch." Same problem, different way to skin a cat (no cats were harmed... just an expression.) This involves using a PCIe switch chip that breaks down the 4 "PCIe X 4 lanes" needed for the 4ea NVMe SSD's to 4ea "PCIe X 2 lanes" (each of the 4 NVMe SSD's get 2 PCIe lanes) then uses the switch-chip logic to rapidly with between the devices.
Soooooo.... "One is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.... you can put lipstick on a pig.... but it is still a pig.

The best fastest scenario would be to have 4 individual M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe X 4 (lanes)...
One device connected to each of the 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports of the Mac-mini...
Then use software raid 0 striping to create one drive... each Thunderbolt 3 port would only have 1 device connected.... no daisy-chaining.
In Theory?

It's all about the PCIe lanes!

Just as in an EGPU you are taking a modern PCIe X 16 lane device and funneling it's data traffic through 4 PCIe lanes.

Have a great day!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

Just tried my brand new "SAMSUNG 1TB 970 EVO Plus" in the new Wavlink device:

Runs a tad warm but better... faster
wierd, my non-plus 1TB runs 2000 write in the 99$ JEYI.
Also, i get 2000/2500 with all 4 ports full.

also it doesn't disconnect.
also i didn't update or install anything drive related

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I finally need to pull the trigger on some external storage, recently, I've been more prone to just get products that are ready to go, simple single-source warranty, i.e., my recent Mini purchase where I just went with 32GB from Apple (though it was a refurb).

I knocked around several options, the JEYI is tempting, but not with the long wait cycle. I've got a couple of options in my (Amazon) cart, both from TEKQ:

TEKQ Rapide in either 480 ($147) or 960GB ($276), that's a complete solution, with solid reviews, and a 3 year warranty.

TEKQ Cube with 120G at $109, with the idea to pull the drive and swap in a Sabrent 1TB Rocket for $109, making my total 1TB ~$218 plus a "free" 120GB drive I could swap into a cheapo USB-C case. The case is 1 year, the Sabrent drive according to the Q&A is 1 year, but if you register is on their site, it's 5[?]

It's tempting just to spend the extra $58, get the drive I take out of a box and plugin and it just works (er, hopefully :D)

I also looked at a couple of OWC and compatible drives, with the sort of shock proof exterior bumpers, around the same price, but didn't like the permanently attached cable.

sasabalac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Calabasas, CA
wierd, my non-plus 1TB runs 2000 write in the 99$ JEYI.
Also, i get 2000/2500 with all 4 ports full.

also it doesn't disconnect.
also i didn't update or install anything drive related

Thanks,
I guess I'll have to get my hands on one of those $99 JEYI gadgets and give up on the new WavLink gadget. The drive disconnect problem makes them unreliable and unusable. I want something that is reliable. I have looked on the WavLink web site for updated drivers or whatever.... nothing. I guess I could try their China tech support... Maybe why NewEgg was selling them for so cheap. No help from Apple.... Silence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.