Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Hi,
actually I've ordered the Jeyi case on Black Friday. The shipment was cancelled like a week later. I asked support about it and this is what they replied:

He also attached a photo of the new case. I can't really find it anywhere on aliexpress, though. At least not under the JEYI brand. This is what the new one looks like. The cable cutout actually seems like a decent idea for portability. I have no idea about the board redesign, though. It still has to ship and I haven't really gotten around to choosing an SSD to go with it.

View attachment 882942
I frequently browse Taobao and also see JEYI having a new version enclosure, but as of now only having a lousy place holder 2D image that doesn't even show the depth and side of the thing like yours do. It seems they are in the process of manufacturing the product, almost ready to ship but not yet having the actual thing on hand to take a realistic photo yet, since your image still looks like a 3D rendering.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Here is an update to the JEYI newer enclosure:

Their official JD(TaoBao) shop now seems to have real photos of the product ready, the little embedded TB3 cable looks to be a nice touch, but the overall dimension is larger than the previous model as a result.

The spec sheet also emphasis it using the JHL6340 chipset. Interestingly they keep using the LEIDIAN-X4 model number.

Another thing of note are that there are 2 other models/options, one with built-in fan and dual TB3 ports, the other with 110mm NVMe support, but these still only have generic placeholder images and not much more details.

02c967f6d5cf36bb.jpg

Reactions: Synchro3

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Here is an update to the JEYI newer enclosure:

Their official JD(TaoBao) shop now seems to have real photos of the product ready, the little embedded TB3 cable looks to be a nice touch, but the overall dimension is larger than the previous model as a result.

The spec sheet also emphasis it using the JHL6340 chipset. Interestingly they keep using the LEIDIAN-X4 model number.

Another thing of note are that there are 2 other models/options, one with built-in fan and dual TB3 ports, the other with 110mm NVMe support, but these still only have generic placeholder images and not much more details.
Can you read chinese?:eek:
i couldn't find a trace of the dual-port

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Can you read chinese?:eek:
i couldn't find a trace of the dual-port
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 19.31.27 .png

Yes I can. Those are buried in the purchase options. (prefix all says "2020 model")
"built-in hidden cable" "standard + JEYI external GPU peripheral"
"with dual Thunderbolt cable | internal fan"
"support 110mm long NVMe (this means M.2 22110)"

You see they are still using generic plain image for the rest.
In a recent buyer review section someone already got the "external GPU card" bundle option, even with a real photo I have no idea what this is, and how this is useful for the TB3 enclosure.

15232e26a3198d98.jpg

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yes I can. Those are buried in the purchase options. (prefix all says "2020 model")
"built-in hidden cable" "standard + JEYI external GPU peripheral"
"with dual Thunderbolt cable | internal fan"
"support 110mm long NVMe (this means M.2 22110)"

You see they are still using generic plain image for the rest.
In a recent buyer review section someone already got the "external GPU card" bundle option, even with a real photo I have no idea what this is, and how this is useful for the TB3 enclosure.

View attachment 884676

thanks, useful info.
interested in the dual-tb port one for daisy chaining...

also when i use mine (1st gen) on desktop its great, howeveri was using it with my macbook yesterday with the relatively short cable that it shipped with, and while it's great, the enclosure gets hot. if you're not careful you could easily burn yourself with it :D
i guess that's good, since it disperses heat from the SSD fine.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Their official JD(TaoBao) shop

FYI JD and Taobao are completely different things. Also, don't hold out hope of dual ports. What it actually says is dual cable, and you can see when you select it that that means the regular product and 9cm TB3 cable and an additional 50cm one.
[automerge]1577274703[/automerge]

It's dual cable, not dual port.

Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
FYI JD and Taobao are completely different things. Also, don't hold out hope of dual ports. What it actually says is dual cable, and you can see when you select it that that means the regular product and 9cm TB3 cable and an additional 50cm one.

disappoitning

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
thanks, useful info.

also when i use mine (1st gen) on desktop its great, howeveri was using it with my macbook yesterday with the relatively short cable that it shipped with, and while it's great, the enclosure gets hot. if you're not careful you could easily burn yourself with it :D
i guess that's good, since it disperses heat from the SSD fine.
I actually ordered a JEYI gen 1 (not knowing gen 2 is coming), and just received it days ago. Installed my ADATA SX8200 Pro in it and it's been working fine. The heat issue is real, I made sure enough heat paste are applied on all suspect chips, but since my SSD is a double sided one I can't deal with the under-side.
(btw I have been getting sub-optimal speed, like only 1500MB/s out of the potential ~3500MB/s, but for my usage it is fast enough so I don't mind). Not sure what the gen 2 with the new TB controller would help though.
[automerge]1577276123[/automerge]

And sorry for the dual-port / dual cable confusion, I mis-read it at first.

Interesting that you mention the difference between JD and TaoBao (I am aware of it just thought it's too confusion to make clear here). Since I am situated in Hong Kong, I can order JD stuff through Taobao account so I kind of consider them connected. The stuff you see on Aliexpress is sometimes from the same seller, in this case JEYI seems to be the manufacturer itself and they sell on all platforms directly. But as you see the newer products appear on the JD shop first.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I actually ordered a JEYI gen 1 (not knowing gen 2 is coming), and just received it days ago. Installed my ADATA SX8200 Pro in it and it's been working fine. The heat issue is real, I made sure enough heat paste are applied on all suspect chips, but since my SSD is a double sided one I can't deal with the under-side.
(btw I have been getting sub-optimal speed, like only 1500MB/s out of the potential ~3500MB/s, but for my usage it is fast enough so I don't mind). Not sure what the gen 2 with the new TB controller would help though.

From the benchmarks they have advertised on the JD listing, I'd guess not so much. If it could get higher than 1600-2000 write, 2500-2600 read you think they'd use those examples.

Interesting that you mention the difference between JD and TaoBao (I am aware of it just thought it's too confusion to make clear here). Since I am situated in Hong Kong, I can order JD stuff through Taobao account so I kind of consider them connected. The stuff you see on Aliexpress is sometimes from the same seller, in this case JEYI seems to be the manufacturer itself and they sell on all platforms directly. But as you see the newer products appear on the JD shop first.

Are you sure you're not confusing JD and tmall when you say you can buy through Taobao? JD and Taobao are as connected as Walmart and Target... JD is in league with tencent/wechat and Taobao is from Alibaba/alipay. Not that it's a big difference to this thread of course - the manufacturer is the manufacturer whichever of the many platforms they're on/listing things on first.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
weird. I'm getting 2000/2500 readwrite with Samsung EVO 970 (non plus), but i guess its one sided.
It's been consistent like this for a year now (i ordered it last december)
Still, built in fan is interesting.
it is, but i actually like how silent it is. I'd rather stick a fin on it :D

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Are you sure you're not confusing JD and tmall when you say you can buy through Taobao? JD and Taobao are as connected as Walmart and Target... JD is in league with tencent/wechat and Taobao is from Alibaba/alipay. Not that it's a big difference to this thread of course - the manufacturer is the manufacturer whichever of the many platforms they're on/listing things on first.
Now I see why I wasn't making sense, you are right I literally mixed up TMall and JD (well they got similar color scheme on their website lol).

From the benchmarks they have advertised on the JD listing, I'd guess not so much. If it could get higher than 1600-2000 write, 2500-2600 read you think they'd use those examples.
weird. I'm getting 2000/2500 readwrite with Samsung EVO 970 (non plus), but i guess its one sided.
It's been consistent like this for a year now (i ordered it last december)

it is, but i actually like how silent it is. I'd rather stick a fin on it :D
I did further testing, it may be my specific ADATA SX8200 Pro stick being the problem, as I manage to get a WD SN750 1TB reaching 2200/2400MB/s on both the JEYI and another WAVLINK enclosure I have.

Reactions: Ploki

mcaron1234

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
I have the wavlink enclosure and suffer from the disconnects on sleep/wake described earlier in this thread. Today I checked the wavlink website for firmware updates and noticed there is one, posted on December 27.

I'm not sure if this fixes any issues though, because I can't get the posted instructions to work. I'm stuck on the spot where you monitor the cm topology. It gives an error at that point and I can't proceed. I'm wondering if the drive needs to be removed from the circuit board before it will work. If anyone can get it to work it would be great to hear if it fixes the disconnects.

piotreksz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2019
I just received the gen 2 Jeyi enclosure. I'm really impressed with the quality. It's machined from a single block of aluminum and has a nice heft to it. As advertised, there are two cables included – a 50 cm (19.6") and a 9 cm (3.54") one placed in a cutout in the enclosure itself. Here are some photos. No tests yet as I still haven't bought an SSD. No excuses now I guess. :)

Also, does anyone know what's the red elastic band for? There are no instructions attached and I have absolutely no idea what it should be used for.

IMG_0078.jpeg IMG_0080.jpeg IMG_0079.jpeg IMG_0077.jpeg

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Has anyone tried the Glyph ThunderBolt 3 Dock?? You can install a NVMe SSD into the dock itself - seems like a neat solution?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I just received the gen 2 Jeyi enclosure. I'm really impressed with the quality. It's machined from a single block of aluminum and has a nice heft to it. As advertised, there are two cables included – a 50 cm (19.6") and a 9 cm (3.54") one placed in a cutout in the enclosure itself. Here are some photos. No tests yet as I still haven't bought an SSD. No excuses now I guess. :)

Also, does anyone know what's the red elastic band for? There are no instructions attached and I have absolutely no idea what it should be used for.

View attachment 887133 View attachment 887134 View attachment 887135 View attachment 887136

Like this, I guess:

O1CN01tSDQah1XXob9521X7_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014

Is the controller chip on the underside of the PCB, and is it taller where you can apply heat paste so it contacts the bottom chassis directly?

Overall this does look very solid, the short cable is a pretty "cute" and practical solution as well.:)

rylim

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017

What is maximum speed did you get out of it?

piotreksz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2019
Is the controller chip on the underside of the PCB, and is it taller where you can apply heat paste so it contacts the bottom chassis directly?

IMG_0088.jpeg

As you can see, there's a bump right underneath the controller (which is the 'top' of the chassis, to be 100% precise ;)). A thermal pad was already applied in mine, which is quite nice of them, too. Also, I can confirm that it's a JHL6340, so a newer controller as far as I know.

What is maximum speed did you get out of it?

I still don't have an SSD, but I'm probably going to get an Adata SX8200 Pro in a couple of days. I have some concerns whether a double-sided SSD is going to fit. If it doesn't, I'll probably get a 2tb Sabrent Rocket, as it's plenty fast for my needs and affordable, too. I'll post some test results when I get around to it, no worries. :)

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
@piotreksz

Thanks for the Information! Where did you buy it? I would like to use the enclousure to install windows 10 on it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:

piotreksz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2019
@piotreksz

Thanks for the Information! Where did you buy it? I would like to use the enclousure to install windows 10 on it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I got it right here. However, this particular enclosure is an older model. After I bought it the seller contacted me, said they have an updated version on the way and they could send it instead if I waited a week or two.

As for Windows 10 – it's entirely doable. My plan is to clone both my macOS and Windows partitions to the external drive (I have a fusion drive iMac). The assistant doesn't let you create a new bootcamp partition on external storage and as far as I know the easiest way is to create it on the internal drive and then clone it via third-party software.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I’ve had nothing but trouble with their USB stuff. I’ve literally got a stack of various products I need to send back.

Oh, I haven't tried any USB stuff to be fair.

Either way, I'd be interested to see how the above user gets on with the NVMe enclosure - hopefully their TB3 products are better then their USB! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.