Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Thought experiment: Replace "China" with "Russia" in the above article and see how that sits with you, while considering whether the threat posed by China is any less inimical than Russia, and considering whether the CEO of leading American companies should be holding conferences about such a nation.
Consider the supply chain and the threat to supply chains that a war with China poses - the heavy investments that China has been making in Africa and Europe. Compared to Russia, I most definitely see a difference in the ramifications.

In the same way as during the Cold War China was a non-player compared to Russia. Times change.

Moreover there has also been a change in Russian policy towards China and they are starting to collaborate on security, defence, and weapons systems.

Tim Cook has to walk a fine line between hypocrisy and the potential of a very large market in China - In addition to ensuring continuity in supply chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: flowsy

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Tim Cook has to walk a fine line between hypocrisy and the potential of a very large market in China
That's sort of like saying that you have to be careful when you drop a nuke on a house made of straw; because in neither case can you actually do it and then act surprised when you've been part of causing major destruction.
In addition to ensuring continuity in supply chain.
That's the real problem for Apple; but…

Actively participating in what basically is CCP propaganda and power moves isn't really required for Apple to just stay neutrally present; Cook is definitely going above and beyond what's minimally required to not make Daddy Xi upset.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
"China on a New Journey Toward Modernization." …as they stockpile cobalt mined from Africa because it is currently a very important material for battery technology

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You really don't see anything wrong with Cook's doublespeak here?
The issue as I see it is the hypocrisy on this forum. If China does xx% of the worlds manufacturer of goods, how many people who are critical of Apple have goods made entirely or partially in China. It's easy to be a "do as I say and not as I do" type of person. Additionally you want to deprive the people of China an iphone, because you don't like the government? (or in this case stop Tim Cook from a speaking engagement?)

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
The issue as I see it is the hypocrisy on this forum. If China does xx% of the worlds manufacturer of goods, how many people who are critical of Apple have goods made entirely or partially in China. It's easy to be a "do as I say and not as I do" type of person. Additionally you want to deprive the people of China an iphone, because you don't like the government? (or in this case stop Tim Cook from a speaking engagement?)
Nice deflection. Tim constantly sees fit to lecture on human rights but says nothing about one of the biggest offenders and suppressors of human rights and yet it's us, the forum posters, that are the hypocrits. El oh el.

Btw, depriving someone of an OPTIONAL luxury item has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

@otternonsense you called it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nice deflection. Tim constantly sees fit to lecture on human rights but says nothing about one of the biggest offenders and suppressors of human rights and yet it's us, the forum posters, that are the hypocrits. El oh el.

Btw, depriving someone of an OPTIONAL luxury item has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

@otternonsense you called it.
Totally understand your point of view. You want TC to do what you want, but aren't willing to walk the talk espoused on these forums. (and that is what you call a deflection?)

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Of course he is. Maybe a special watch band for the Uyghurs being oppressed and held in detention centers would be nice. /s

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/americas/canada-china-xinjiang-genocide-intl-hnk/index.html

I enjoy my Apple products, but let’s not kid ourself. They are a company in it for profit and cherry pick the social issues they align themselves with. They tout a big game on the environment. Yet they choose to build their factories in china who has one of the least about of regulations in the world.
Sure they are branching off to other countries that also have abysmal marks in these areas.

I used to do quite a bit of business in Asia and western companies looked to exploit the populace for decreased margins, regulations, and operating costs. To say otherwise is laughable.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1258186 and jaymc

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

t3nchu

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Last time I checked the definition of genocide, there is reduction in population, mass killing... do we have any proof?

And last time I checked, population of Uyghur has growth quite bit. That doesn’t seems to fit the definition of genocide.

Or maybe Apple should also release a special watch band for Muslim killed by America military? Or boy killed by Australia’s troop?
That's not true definition anymore. It's not just killing. It also include wiping out a culture. Look at the definition by UN more closely!

In case you don't bother to click the link!

"The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such" including the killing of its members, causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group, deliberately imposing living conditions that seek to "bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part", preventing births, or forcibly transferring children out of the group to another group. Victims have to be deliberately, not randomly, targeted because of their real or perceived membership of one of the four groups outlined in the above definition."

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Last edited by a moderator:

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
This SUCKS. I really like Apple products, but I hate what China is doing. It's a repressive country and it's a damn shame the west lulled itself with cheap labor while letting their regime grow in power, actively working to suppress human rights. Their entire goal is "humble dominance".

I don't want to go Android.. Google isn't in China, but they are a data mining company. Samsung builds their stuff in Vietnam, which is only partially better than China.

What to do? My ethics are being slammed into by my need of proper working equipment :\

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
THIS goes to show you how Tim Cook's vision of China being integral part of Apple is important to his wallet. If he truly cared about the American people, he would not be doing business with the same folks who steal his IPs and violate all human rights acts. Truly a double edged character which reflects badly on the brand.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I do do what I can to limit my goods from China but as usual you deflect the issue.

I can't divest myself fully as I don't have the financial resources- Apple can. Apple can pack up tomorrow if it wanted to but chooses not to.

I also don't stand up and take every oppourtunity to lecture and position myself as a torch bearer of human rights - Apple does.

If Tim Cook wants to position Apple as a torchbearer of human rights, if he wants to get on his soapbox and lecture and shame people then Tim Cook Needs to start with the biggest offender of human rights on this planet next to North Korea - China.

Point the finger at them, not me.

Lecture the PRC, not me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.