Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I guess prior to 2011 China was a model country and paragon of virtue and since Steve didn't care about privacy or human rights, he gave the okay to Tim to start forging that relationship with Foxconn.

No but prior to 2011 Steve Jobs wasn't constantly making public proclaimations about human rights. Jobs kept things about business and about the product.

That's the problem with Tim Cooks leadership of Apple he has politicised the company so much that he looks a massive hypocrite with this kind of thing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No but prior to 2011 Steve Jobs wasn't constantly making public proclaimations about human rights. Jobs kept things about business and about the product.

That's the problem with Tim Cooks leadership of Apple he has politicised the company so much that he looks a massive hypocrite with this kind of thing.
So there we have it. You are saying it didn't matter what was happening in China because SJ wasn't a SJW. Because TC is an SJW, he's a hypocrite for continuing what Jobs let him do.

To me the contortions that go on around here are cringe worthy.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
No but prior to 2011 Steve Jobs wasn't constantly making public proclaimations about human rights. Jobs kept things about business.

Jobs had extremely high standards in his own way, and any leader replacing him had to pick up the torch in a unique, yet strong, way of his own; which TC has done.

TC also inherited a lot things that were about to become problems, and that had more of a human nature to them, so he really didn't have a choice as far as how he approached showing a strong Apple leadership; not without being an absolute ******* in a way absolutely not aligned with what Apple stod for (and couldn't get away with without a SJ-leadership).

He couldn't be a SJ-copy, and he never tried to be.

So far so good.

Now, caring about people isn't "politics", so he never "politicised" the company; but he did halfway become that absolute ******* by selectively ignoring some people suffering, when Apple financially benefits more from doing so. (Uighur who…??!)

And that's a problem for him/Apple. Or at least it will become one.

TC couldn't ignore it when the west was in outrage about what happens in "Apple factories", and to the environment etc; so he's trying to balance that, along with what he and Apple represents, with not having to completely abandon the Chinese market. (As the west isn't too outraged about the CCP. Yet.)

All while being greedy for that yuan.

Something has to break/change here. And sooner or later something will break.

The problems with how the CCP is trying to control more and more things outside of China is really pushing whole ass governments to either declare Chinese businesses a threat (like Sweden did), or to greedily accept more and more Chinese money (like Italy has done). And the more Apple is entrenching themselves with the CCP/the Chinese market, the more they will get caught up in that.

Apple has to make a choice sooner or later.

Personally my money is on TC exiting Apple no later than within the next 3-5 years.

He's already 60, and he's making himself more of a burden to Apple by apparently doubling down on the Chinese market. So the easiest way for Apple to deal with the fallout from an international backlash against the CCP will be to change leadership.

Hopefully by then they'll already have enough factories outside of China; and hopefully Foxconn survives even when China does to Taiwan what they did to Macao and Hong Kong.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Jobs had extremely high standards in his own way, and any leader replacing him had to pick up the torch in a unique, yet strong, way of his own; which TC has done.

TC also inherited a lot things that were about to become problems, and that had more of a human nature to them, so he really didn't have a choice as far as how he approached showing a strong Apple leadership; not without being an absolute ******* in a way absolutely not aligned with what Apple stod for (and couldn't get away with without a SJ-leadership).

He couldn't be a SJ-copy, and he never tried to be.

So far so good.

Now, caring about people isn't "politics", so he never "politicised" the company; but he did halfway become that absolute ******* by selectively ignoring some people suffering, when Apple financially benefits more from doing so. (Uighur who…??!)

And that's a problem for him/Apple. Or at least it will become one.

TC couldn't ignore it when the west was in outrage about what happens in "Apple factories", and to the environment etc; so he's trying to balance that, along with what he and Apple represents, with not having to completely abandon the Chinese market. (As the west isn't too outraged about the CCP. Yet.)

All while being greedy for that yuan.

Something has to break/change here. And sooner or later something will break.

The problems with how the CCP is trying to control more and more things outside of China is really pushing whole ass governments to either declare Chinese businesses a threat (like Sweden did), or to greedily accept more and more Chinese money (like Italy has done). And the more Apple is entrenching themselves with the CCP/the Chinese market, the more they will get caught up in that.

Personally my money is on TC exiting Apple no later than within the next 3-5 years.

He's already 60, and he's making himself more of a burden to Apple by apparently doubling down on the Chinese market. So the easiest way for Apple to deal with the fallout from an international backlash against the CCP will be to change leadership.

Hopefully by then they'll already have enough factories outside of China; and hopefully Foxconn survives even when China does to Taiwan what they did to Macao and Hong Kong.

I agree the the climate is different now for Tech companies than it was in Jobs time and that he could never be a carbon copy of Jobs, nobody was going to be that.

For me he has become a bit too enamoured with the politics and has put himself in a difficult position in a way that someone like Elon Musk has not.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]

They have....his compensation is on the record.
That makes sense, but probably not for the reasons you think.
He's already 60,
This is the reason.
and he's making himself more of a burden to Apple by apparently doubling down on the Chinese market.
Is this a widely held consensus from authoritative figures, or just one (or two) MR posters opinions?
So the easiest way for Apple to deal with the fallout from an international backlash against the CCP will be to change leadership.
Again, widely known fact or opinion.
Ok, we'll see.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
The campus drone fly-bys are pretty annoyingly obnoxious. We get it it that you spent billions on your campus, Apple. Your company started in a garage. We don't care. Where's your new product?
This. So much this. They were crushing it when they were still "foolish and hungry". Now it's an endless self-congratulatory series of flashy PR content flaunting the virtually indistinguishable iteration of the year with the exact same wall-calendar quotes, abstractions and buzzwords.

They seem to be putting more effort on Twitter hashtag icons, noodly AR invite effects, and green screen segments than the products themselves.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: I7guy

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
So there we have it. You are saying it didn't matter what was happening in China because SJ wasn't a SJW. Because TC is an SJW, he's a hypocrite for continuing what Jobs let him do.

Yes, welcome to planet earth where if you are constantly droning on to the general public about equality and human rights and then cozy up to those who obviously have little regard for any of that for the $ you are going to get called out.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, welcome to planet earth where if you are constantly droning on to the general public about equality and human rights and then cozy up to those who obviously have little regard for any of that for the $ you are going to get called out.
So call him out. You're entitled (at least within the confines of what is permissible here). I do not think the universe is aligned with your view of someone who probably caused more good to humanity in one minute than any of his critics can ever hope to achieve in a lifetime. So while he attempts to do what he does, he is entitled to "cozy up" as you put it.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
For me he has become a bit too enamoured with the politics
It's important to acknowledge that one person's optional politics, is another person's very non-optional reality; and that will always be a part of that person's perspective. (And so it should be ours, methinks.)

Almost no matter where I go in the world I will never become a target because I'm a white straight man (at least not outside of being assumed rich because of being white in that area).

In some of those same areas where I absolutely could have a wonderfully relaxing vacation, Tim Cook would get his relaxing vacation cut short by officially being given the death penalty for being gay.

Just look at Sodomy laws in the United States; it's still in the books in some states that, legally married or not, two men being together is a "crime against nature".

It wasn't even that long ago that I read about some ?? cops going undercover to entrap men that did nothing but want to have sex with other men (no prostitution, or anything else that would have been illegal if they'd been straight); but no sane prosecutor actually pursues that, so the cops are just free to use those laws to scare gays out of their community.

That's his reality that he's constantly reminded about when hearing about hate crimes in the news; just like women are constantly getting reminded about crimes specifically happening to them; and minorities are constantly reminded about crimes happening to them.

That's not optional politics to them; and it shouldn't be dismissed as "politics" by us.

So, no, I don't think that he's too enamoured with the politics; if anything I think that he should show much more of that on an international scale.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016

That's not what he's saying at all but ofc you know that. Again, what Steve did or did not do is immaterial - you're once again deflecting the issue off of Cook's hypocrisy.

Reactions: deang001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's not what he's saying at all but ofc you know that. Again, what Steve did or did not do is immaterial - you're once again deflecting the issue off of Cook's hypocrisy.
I know exactly what is being said, which is why, imo, this online criticism of Tim Cook is disingenuous. What Steve did is very relevant and it's disingenuous to say otherwise. (But there we have it, each one claiming the others position is irrelevant)

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
China is not the first and it won’t be last. Back in 60s, it was Japan. Back then everybody hate Japan. They were intellectually property theft. They were taking away jobs from United States.

Then it was China.

It doesn’t matter. Moving out of China, it will be India, which worker’s right isn’t a thing there. It could be Vietnam, which is other communist dictatorship. Or it could move to Indonesia.

Manufacturing is dead in United States. Manufacturing is no longer the economy driver.

We need to diversify our trade and be less reliant on China, but yes, that means finding new import sources, likely in Southeast Asia. Anyone who thinks growing less reliant on China will bring manufacturing back to the U.S. is dreaming.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaymc and svanstrom

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s exactly what you are implying and that doesn’t make Cook hypocritical. But I understand so much on these forums are opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.