Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
not-this-crap-again.jpg

Reactions: eoblaed

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Tim Apple has to go
Under Tim's watch Apple has become one of the most valuable companies on the planet. He isn't going anywhere, especially to placate a few whiners. He's making the company and investors oceans of money. And still turning out decent products. He'll be there till HE decides to leave.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Tim Cook is an incompetent bean counter, but I think there is a little bit more to it. Apple for me really fell apart in 2012. Steve Jobs was gone, and we lost a lot of skilled employees. Bob Mansfield retired from Mac engineering (quality of the Mac has collapsed since he left) and Scott Forstall was fired (iOS has been garbage since we lost him) This also led to Jony Ive gaining more power in Apple. I think he is really who has driven Apple into the ground, but only because Tim has allowed him to. I think both Tim and Jony should be fired.
So incompetent that Apple under him has done horribly and is a company that no one knows and isn't even at the bottom of the business world, let alone anywhere at the top.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Under Tim's watch Apple has become one of the most valuable companies on the planet. He isn't going anywhere, especially to placate a few whiners. He's making the company and investors oceans of money. And still turning out decent products. He'll be there till HE decides to leave.

What happened to Apple shares now? The sales of the latest iPhones? Cut prices and being desperate? Recycle iPad Air and iPad mini? Really?! Apple continued to be doing fine after Steve Jobs was because he planned ahead. Now there's no plan left from him and see what happens?

Reactions: Mendota

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
What happened to Apple shares now? The sales of the latest iPhones? Cut prices and being desperate? Recycle iPad Air and iPad mini? Really?! Apple continued to be doing fine after Steve Jobs was because he planned ahead. Now there's no plan left from him and see what happens?

Apple stock? It's at $197 and rising. Cut prices? Hate to break it to ya but that's what you do to spur sales. Everyone does that and has been doing that. Sales are down across the entire electronics market. You need to get a hobby. Apple's doing just fine and they're certainly doing a hell of a lot better than they were back in the Performa days. Cook's doing just fine. Buy Apple stock and you'll make money.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
Under Tim's watch Apple has become one of the most valuable companies on the planet. He isn't going anywhere, especially to placate a few whiners. He's making the company and investors oceans of money.
Who cares? Unless all that money translates into better products what difference should it make to the consumer how much money Apple is making? I mean, certainly that's the goal of any company but beyond keeping them in business what does that do for the person who buys their products? What does it matter?
And still turning out decent products.
Here you go. Who wants "decent" products from Apple? We can get that from scores of other companies. We'd like
great products from Apple. Not perfect, but far beyond "decent".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Who cares? Unless all that money translates into better products what difference should it make to the consumer how much money Apple is making? I mean, certainly that's the goal of any company but beyond keeping them in business what does that do for the person who buys their products? What does it matter?
Here you go. Who wants "decent" products from Apple? We can get that from scores of other companies. We'd like great products from Apple. Not perfect, but far beyond "decent".
Well, you said it, it matters because that's the goal of any company, to make money. The basic realities of business.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
Well, you said it, it matters because that's the goal of any company, to make money. The basic realities of business.
I am asking what does it matter to us, the consumers, apart from making enough money to keep them in business? Again, unless it translates into better products who cares whether they make $100 billion in profits or $10? In fact I'd argue the more money they make the less incentive there is to make better products and this seems to be borne out by the current state of "decent" products we're getting from Apple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am asking what does it matter to us, the consumers, apart from making enough money to keep them in business? Again, unless it translates into better products who cares whether they make $100 billion in profits or $10? In fact I'd argue the more money they make the less incentive there is to make better products and this seems to be borne out by the current state of "decent" products we're getting from Apple.
It might very well not matter to the typical consumer. But to Apple the consumers matter in terms of being able to make money from those consumers. As long as Apple is making the money that they want or need and the consumers are actually spending that money then Apple sees themselves as doing well. And despite what some might be saying, overall and pretty much overwhelmingly Apple is still seen as a highly valued and trusted brand by most typical consumers.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Apple stock? It's at $197 and rising. Cut prices? Hate to break it to ya but that's what you do to spur sales. Everyone does that and has been doing that. Sales are down across the entire electronics market. You need to get a hobby. Apple's doing just fine and they're certainly doing a hell of a lot better than they were back in the Performa days. Cook's doing just fine. Buy Apple stock and you'll make money.

Go and read the news about Chinese Market. Even in Australia Apple is cutting prices for all the current models. Just open your eyes you can see what's going on. iPhones' plans never went down before. Apple's very desperate now.

Read this: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/tech/apple-iphone-vat-in-china/index.html

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Go and read the news about Chinese Market. Even in Australia Apple is cutting prices for all the current models. Just open your eyes you can see what's going on. iPhones' plans never went down before. Apple's very desperate now.

Read this: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/tech/apple-iphone-vat-in-china/index.html

As I said in my post that got deleted, I don't care about the Chinese market. It's a warped game run by the government. Apple dropped their prices because the government dropped the VAT, as everyone else will do to keep selling their products and pass that savings on to their customers. That's good business. Apple is far from desperate. You really have no idea what you're talking about and you apparently cannot understand the articles you cite.

Reactions: Jmausmuc

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
As I said in my post that got deleted, I don't care about the Chinese market. It's a warped game run by the government. Apple dropped their prices because the government dropped the VAT, as everyone else will do to keep selling their products and pass that savings on to their customers. That's good business. Apple is far from desperate. You really have no idea what you're talking about and you apparently cannot understand the articles you cite.
That’s you. Don’t care about the other countries. Apple is a global company first of all. And guess what. Tim Apple cares especially China. Lol

Reactions: Mendota

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
That’s you. Don’t care about the other countries. Apple is a global company first of all. And guess what. Tim Apple cares especially China. Lol
Yeah, he cares enough that he cut prices when a tax went down and passed the savings on to the customers. ll these price cuts must be bad for business....oh, wait...I'll just leave this here.
https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/09/aapl-growth-record/

The only trouble Apple and Tim are in, is from the armchair CEOs on this message board :rolleyes:.
Apple is doing just fine and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

These camera bump complaints rank right in there with the series 3 Red dot posts. I don't tend to look at the back of the iPhone or the side of the crown on my watch very often. They are all non issues. The issues remain on the uptight posters here. I look at the screen that's where all the action is. Also as for 3D Touch it's all in all about as useful as teats on a bull.

Aside from the mere opinion above:

"If I don’t respond to your quote you’re probably on my ignore list."

I'm quite sure that would just completely ruin my day!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The drama is real though. When you put it the way you did, yes, sounds like a drop in the bucket. When you look at it from perspective of stock value and investors (what matters most), Tim is not doing so well indeed.

On the "drama" of Tim Cook's tenure at Apple: There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of CEOs who'd like to dream of ever doing so poorly. I don't usually bother with clickbait threads like this but since I'm procrastinating on what really matters most to me right now (making a couple jars of super spicy giardiniera made from supermarket veggies to get me through the mud season to my own veggie gardening time) I thought to drop the thought in here that what matters most to Tim Cook is probably not the armchair quarterback plays offered up from us on social media boards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Apple does mull over consumer feedback, the same way I mull over "What's for dinner tonight?" as I scroll past the recipes in any major online newspaper's offerings. I give it its due, in other words. About two minutes a day. Sometimes I hit paydirt. Cool return on my investment of two minutes.

Apple probably figures up consumer feedback --regarding actual innovation-- about the same way, and I wouldn't blame them. It's not like some consumer phoned in one day to suggest Apple invent a Macintosh computer. Even Apple hasn't been sure for awhile now and then about the next great Mac and yet it has been their option to run with it or shrug and move on.

Our part in it was the same part we play now, :rolleyes: to bitch about the price and the lack of innovation while back in the labs the next great thing, whether software or a metal alloy, has been hatching. And gee I don't remember calling Steve to recommend that Apple hurry up and invent the iPod.​

All the blather about overpriced iPhones goes away when one remembers that the iPhone in our hand now is leaps and bounds beyond the perfectly stunning original iPhone of only 12 years ago. You still can't beat Apple on ecosystem and UI. None of that pops out of people's heads for free, it takes design and engineering teams and coders. They don't work for free and so we don't actually want a dirt cheap iPhone, do we?

Whoever is a shareholder pressing Apple's buttons to "innovate more for less" -- to bring something better to market but also drop prices or cut corners on quality is not a friend of Apple gear admirers nor a friend of Apple itself.

Being a shareholder doesn't happen to equate to knowing how a company should behave in its next moves in the marketplace. All Wall Street wants to know anyway is the answer to "are the profit margins up this quarter?" Bah. Behind that thinking is ultimately only the carrion left behind after one too many acquisitions and debt-loading maneuvers and attempts to flip a horse being beaten to death because it can't drag an empty wagon to market one more day and the owner of the wagon hasn't had an original thought since he kept that poor colt when it dropped from the mare.

The only trouble Apple and Tim are in, is from the armchair CEOs on this message board :rolleyes:.
Apple is doing just fine and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

These camera bump complaints rank right in there with the series 3 Red dot posts. I don't tend to look at the back of the iPhone or the side of the crown on my watch very often. They are all non issues. The issues remain on the uptight posters here. I look at the screen that's where all the action is. Also as for 3D Touch it's all in all about as useful as teats on a bull.

Yep, the screen on my XR is the finest thing I've ever laid eyes on. I could read on that thing for hours if Apple hadn't been kind enough to stick the Screen Time feature into the software options. I do prefer a smaller phone, so I did revert to using an SE as my "iPhone for phone calls" but I'm in love with the XR otherwise, almost like an extra iPad mini but takes up less space in my handbag.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
barely find anything innovate for 2 years! They better bring something new this year!!! Maybe an iPhone SE 2

So by Apple making an SE2 would be considered ‘innovating’? I’m not singling you out, however; another post that probably doesn’t understand the full context of what innovating is. And if you want a clear example of what innovation is, look at the AirPods and Apple Watch, both those products have been major sellers for Apple, and have a huge future in front of them.

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
Here's a link to what Tim believes Apple is all about.

"Apple is a 'consumer company' and not a normal tech firm, suggests Tim Cook"
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-and-not-a-normal-tech-firm-suggests-tim-cook

"We believe that technology should be in the background, not the foreground, and that technology should empower people to do things and help them do things they couldn't do otherwise" Cook continued. "We're in the tech industry, but we work at that intersection of technology and the liberal arts and the humanities, and so we make products for people, and so the consumer's and the center of what we do." - Tim Cook

This doesn't sound good for pro users and it's inconsistent with price gouging consumers, but it's an interesting idea.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Here's a link to what Tim believes Apple is all about.

"Apple is a 'consumer company' and not a normal tech firm, suggests Tim Cook"
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-and-not-a-normal-tech-firm-suggests-tim-cook

"We believe that technology should be in the background, not the foreground, and that technology should empower people to do things and help them do things they couldn't do otherwise" Cook continued. "We're in the tech industry, but we work at that intersection of technology and the liberal arts and the humanities, and so we make products for people, and so the consumer's and the center of what we do." - Tim Cook

This doesn't sound good for pro users and it's inconsistent with price gouging consumers, but it's an interesting idea.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. 'Pro users' are typically defined as those people that use their computers, at least in part, to make a living whether that be artists, audio/video editors, film makers, software engineers (like me), etc. Having a focus on letting the tech get out of the way, so what the user interacts with doesn't feel like they're manipulating tech is a good thing for all those folks, IMO.

iCloud is a perfect example. The fact that so many of my apps (Messages, Safari, etc) use a cloud based service to keep things in sync, to keep my messages in all places at all times .. but it does it automatically and without me having even know that it's happening .. is a great example of letting consumers benefit from high tech while still keeping it in the background. It becomes a smooth experience, with great empowerment, but the user isn't tied up in the details of it all. Companies that simply work at building tech place the consumer experience as secondary, and that rarely helps anyone.

I think being focused on the consumer experience first, and building tech to provide all this functionality with that priority is what helps everyone have a more enjoyable and more productive experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.