Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
While true that phones have matured and innovation has stalled....perhaps ‘By Innovation Only’ shouldn’t have been on the invite? That seems a bit pompous for what I watched unveiled today.

No, just Apple innovation has stalled.

Others manufactures are shipping 5G devices, in-display fingerprint readers, 50x camera zoom, ToF sensors, extreme low light camera features, and yes, reverse wireless charging.

Apple is standing here trying to promote a battery and an 18W charger as Pro features.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
No, just Apple innovation has stalled.

Others manufactures are shipping 5G devices, in-display fingerprint readers, 50x camera zoom, ToF sensors, extreme low light camera features, and yes, reverse wireless charging.

Apple is standing here trying to promote a battery and an 18W charger as Pro features.
Lol that is more than fair. I was trying not to sound too judgmental. I’m with ya.

Reactions: sammy2066

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Their phones cost more or the same as 5g phones...

Not an argument to my point. It would only make it more expensive then it already is considering Samsung charges $300 more for there 5G S10+.

They only recently did the agreement with Qualcomm for modems so wasn't going to make this year.

And still there is the problem of 5G networks not being available to even a small percentage of people. So you want to add something thats inefficient and won't do a damn thing for majority of people?

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Pretty sure this topic is posted around this time each year. No phones are innovating like they used to, the technology has plateaued.

Get over yourself.

Absolutely it has. Otherwise I wouldn't be using my 8 Plus a 3rd year.

No way I'd go 3 years with an iPhone 4... but as you said... the tech has plateaued.

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
So what’s the excuse for using the same design? I suppose we going to blame 5g and USB C for that too?

Fingerprint sensor I suppose that’s asking for too much. These are basics that some £400 phones have.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Have you seen the Huawei, Samsung and one plus phones?

Apple can’t even add 5g or USB C to their phones ffs.
5G is virtually non-existent for another year. Apple usually waits a year for next gen cellular netowrking tech to mature. Nothing new. USB-C inferior to lightning on a mobile device and I am not sure why all of these geeks keep screaming for it. Lightning is a better more durable connector! Get over yourself. Apple doesn't serve you exclusively. There is a reason they get 99% customer satisfaction on iPhone every year!

Reactions: DevinNj

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Are the new phones more expensive than the XS/XS Max were? I can’t remember what last years pricing was.

All 3 should be lower, which they are not.
They are using recycled parts/plastic/materials/whatever they keep preaching about!! That alone should lower all 3 phone prices

Reactions: Never mind

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
They are using recycled parts/plastic/materials/whatever they keep preaching about!! That alone should lower all 3 phone prices
Plateau would indicate remaining the same, which I believe they have? Not lowering.

Calisunshine901

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016

So they should lower the prices because they're being environmentally friendly?

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
UK prices have gone up by £50!

I suppose that’s for the 18 watt charger!
[doublepost=1568141959][/doublepost]
5G is virtually non-existent for another year. Apple usually waits a year for next gen cellular netowrking tech to mature. Nothing new. USB-C inferior to lightning on a mobile device and I am not sure why all of these geeks keep screaming for it. Lightning is a better more durable connector! Get over yourself. Apple doesn't serve you exclusively. There is a reason they get 99% customer satisfaction on iPhone every year!

Alright Mr Cook, calm your knickers. Don’t start throwing satisfaction surveys at me. What next you gonna tell me about 18 watt chargers and free Apple TV for a year.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019

What’s the point of adding 5G when it’s not even out in significant numbers yet?

Even if you don’t light Lightning connector, billions of other users still use it and have no issue with it.

Your dissatisfaction appears to be a personal issue, not an Apple leadership one.

Reactions: jagolden

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Maybe because the Pound is down a lot vs. the US Dollar this year? No couldn't be that could it?
Exactly currency conversion is everything. Same reason iphones are expensive in places like India etc. The currency conversion since Apple is a US company and uses the USD.

Let's not forget the 10% tarrifs this year too (I dont know if they ate them in these new phones or not, too complex to figure out)

And 5G? Seriously? Where can you actually USE 5G? In the 2 cities where if your back to it the signal is gone? That is why thre are only like 2 or 3 5G phones out, companies experimenting with a low volume model.
It's not mature tech and wont be widespread available for AT LEAST a year from now probably more.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

And where am I supposed to use this 5G besides very localized areas right now? 5G would just be draining the battery with no benefits for me. Next year is when 5G coverage will be wider. Complain then if 2020 iPhone doesn't have it.

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
What’s the point of adding 5G when it’s not even out in significant numbers yet?

Even if you don’t light Lightning connector, billions of other users still use it and have no issue with it.

Your dissatisfaction appears to be a personal issue, not an Apple leadership one.

Have you heard of a saying called future proof?

When you spend over 1200 on a phone you expect it to have the latest features. Just because 5G isn’t available everywhere now doesn’t mean it will be in a years time. Most people keep their phones longer than ever so yes the phone should be future proof.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I tend to agree with the OP and some posts here:

1. The invite name was certainly hyperbolic - features announced today are iterative at best, and have been around in products from other manufacturers
2. With all those cameras and focus on photography and videos, how on earth is 64GB going to be sufficient for anyone?
3. Still a 5W charger with the iPhone 11 is regressive (not innovative at all)
4. Let’s not forget, this design is still old, and ugly. Generally it grows on my after the keynote, but not this year.
5. Fully agree with most people here that 5G support is pointless at this time, given adoption rates and battery drain.

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I tend to agree with the OP and some posts here:

1. The invite name was certainly hyperbolic - features announced today are iterative at best, and have been around in products from other manufacturers
2. With all those cameras and focus on photography and videos, how on earth is 64GB going to be sufficient for anyone?
3. Still a 5W charger with the iPhone 11 is regressive (not innovative at all)
4. Let’s not forget, this design is still old, and ugly. Generally it grows on my after the keynote, but not this year.
5. Fully agree with most people here that 5G support is pointless at this time, given adoption rates and battery drain.

Exactly.

It’s not just the 5g people keep chiming on about.

You telling me it’s so hard for the Apple design team to come up with a new design? 64GB should be abolished it shouldn’t exist on a phone unless you offering unlimited cloud storage with it. Hyping up the event as innovative and then serving up that dross.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Apple gets lucky in my case, since I need to upgrade my old SE this year. I will appreciate the camera improvements, since I'm going on a japan trip and like to do some hobby video projects in my free time.

That being said though, if I had anything like an iPhone 8, I definitely wouldn't upgrade. Theming this keynote as "by innovation only" is pathetic and proved the doubters over here right, that they're going to pull a huge marketing stunt to cover up for their lack of competence. I'm quite certain that the press will share this attitude and hopefully rip them apart for it.
Apple has the rare opportunity to use their brand power and associated trust to offer customers good value without making them crack their head over technical details. Well.. today they switched to the Dark side and misused exactly that power.

Key takeaway today: I'm still happy software wise, but hardware wise it's best to stick with whatever you have for as long as you can. Apple just isn't delivering nowadays anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.