Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has praised his company's "symbiotic relationship" with China during his first visit to the country in the last three years.

tim-cook-china-2023.jpg
Tim Cook shares a photo of his visit to Apple's Wangfujing store via Weibo

In his first visit since the pandemic began in 2020, the Apple chief gave a keynote speech over the weekend at the China Development Forum, where he said he "could not be more excited" to celebrate Apple's 30th anniversary in the country, where the company makes the vast majority of its iPhones.

"Apple and China . . . grew together and so this has been a symbiotic kind of relationship," said Cook, according to a report by the Financial Times.

Cook was among several U.S. tech company chiefs in Beijing, where the forum has been billed as an opening-up party after three years of lockdowns and restrictions as a result of President Xi Jinping's strict zero-Covid policy, which heavily impacted Apple's operations and led to a shortage of iPhone 14 models during the holiday period.

According to the FT report, Cook avoided mention of tensions between the U.S. and China during his keynote, which occurred during a session about technology and education, and instead talked up the millions of iOS developers in the country, as well as the success of its Apple stores in the region.

Bloomberg on Monday reported that Cook went on to meet China's minister of commerce Wang Wentao. "Both sides exchanged views about Apple's development in China and stabilizing the industry supply chain," according to a statement given to the outlet by Wang's ministry. Wang also reportedly told Cook that China will continue to open up and provide good services to foreign firms including Apple.

Apple last month released its financial results for the quarter ending in December, reporting a roughly 5% decline in revenue compared to the year-ago quarter. Apple cited a "challenging environment" that included iPhone supply issues due to COVID lockdowns in China, which hampered its ability to ship devices to customers.

China's smartphone market finished 2022 with an annual shipment of 287 million units, a year-on-year decrease of 14% and the first time since 2013 that the country's market shipment has fallen below 300 million units, according to a report by Canalys. Apple reached an all-time-high market share of 18% for the year, despite growth for the fourth quarter dropping by 24% due to supply issues, said the report.

Apple has been trying to diversify its supply chain outside of China to reduce its reliance on the country and mitigate the impact of geopolitical unrest, with Vietnam, and more recently India, emerging as important locations for supply chain expansion and investment.

Article Link: Tim Cook Praises Apple's 'Symbiotic Relationship' With China During Beijing Visit

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
>"Apple and China . . . grew together and so this has been a symbiotic kind of relationship,"

If I was China, I would be extremely concerned. China views themselves as being independent from western companies. If Tim Cook believes that China needs Apple to survive, it almost seems like he's daring China to kick Apple out.

I hope that quote won't come back to bite Apple.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
>"Apple and China . . . grew together and so this has been a symbiotic kind of relationship,"

If I was China, I would be extremely concerned. China views themselves as being independent from western companies. If Tim Cook believes that China needs Apple to survive, it almost seems like he's daring China to kick Apple out.

I kind of hope it does come back. Not because I want Apple to fail, but because I want Apple (and any other company) out of China as soon as possible.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

China seems to be definitely wagging the dog. I always thought moving manufacturing there was a huge mistake. But the investor class seems to get what they want?

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Tim always had a way with words. Apple is in a very tight spot given its dependence on the CCP to continue allowing it to manufacture and export. As our relationship with China becomes more confrontational, and it should given current circumstances, Apple’s position becomes that much more precarious. Behind the scenes, he may be very helpful to TikTok. Personally, I think it should be banned in the US.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wow... So should we be concerned?

I remember years ago, there was a lot of talk about 'secret chips' being included in/on devices and boards made for US companies. Chips that people (who claimed to know) couldn't place as needing to be there.

What ever happened with all that? Was it secret chips, was it China manufacturers adding tracking and RAT back doors, or was it all conspiracy theorists hoping to spook people.

I remember it was 'a thing', and even Wired, as I remember, got in on it. I never consciously heard anything more about it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Tim always had a way with words. Apple is in a very tight spot given its dependence on the CCP to continue allowing it to manufacture and export. As our relationship with China becomes more confrontational, and it should given current circumstances, Apple’s position becomes that much more precarious.

China has them, and far too many other corporations in this country 'by the short hairs'. If China ordered the cessation of all manufacturing for any US entity, they could drive this country into the ground, and that shows how shortsighted the drive for 'profit over anything' was. It's too late now, far too late to change it...

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
China seems to be definitely wagging the dog. I always thought moving manufacturing there was a huge mistake. But the investor class seems to get what they want?
Governments aside, isn’t China really the only manufacturing company that can handle millions of orders with high expectation of quality for small electronic devices?

Is India doing well? Could Taiwan or Japan or (gasp!) the US do this, and keep quality and prices the same? 🫣

Genuine question for discussion.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Governments aside, isn’t China really the only manufacturing company that can handle millions of orders with high expectation of quality for small electronic devices?

Is India doing well? Could Taiwan or Japan or (gasp!) the US do this, and keep quality and prices the same? 🫣

Genuine question for discussion.

America DID do amazing things. America pioneered the microchip, and did amazing things with it. I toured a decommissioned navy vessel a few years ago, and was struck that everything was 'made in America'. Things that 'people' say America can't do anymore. Too many people have been beating the drums for America losing its dominance in manufacturing and high tech, and it's all just entrenched investors realizing that they would lose money if manufacturing was moved back on shore. Billions has been made because the prices haven't gone down but the cost of goods sold has plummeted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.