Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I'd argue that it's the West that has been way more hostile towards China - which in turn is more hostile to the West.

The relationship was fine during Obama's years. It turned ugly during Trump MAGA years.

No they don't. Way to spread fake news.

First, it was the US that provoked Russia to attack Ukraine through NATO expansion, which the US promised it wouldn't. It's got nothing to do with China.

And no, China does not enable NK. You can blame the US for the Korean War that created NK. China doesn't want anything to do with NK.

China is not the country that is a war machine. I'll let you guess which country is.
I think it's time to go "backtoschool"

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Hm - "better" can be very subjective. We, in West have a tendency to judge other countries by our standards - but those standards changed over our history and are also based on the resources & limitations of our countries. Is it really fair to judge a country that has been trying for less than 50 years to bring up the standard of living of their 1.5 billion people to a country with only 300 million people and which has had 300 years to get to its current standard of living?

I'm not making excuses for China's repression of various minorities in their country - but perhaps we should look a bit more at our own history before casting stones. E.g. China's repression of the Uyghurs is but child's play compared to what the US did to the native Americans or the West's use of slavery to benefit their countries.

China has nearly accomplished in 50 years, what took those countries centuries. It raised more people out of abject poverty than the entire populations of the US and Europe combined. Yes, the country has human rights issues and we don't like its non-democratic system of government. But there's no denying its success either. And what country is without problems? We chastise the Chinese for their treatment of the Uyghurs - yet here at home in the US, we allow 20,000+ of our citizens to be killed by guns every year. We lost 2 million+ people to Covid because our leaders thought that drinking bleach will cure it. Our children need armed teachers because they're afraid of the next mass shooting. China has none of those issues. Their children are safe in schools and nobody dies in mass shootings; despite being a 5 times bigger country, they had 1/10th people die from covid. Mass transit and telecom technology in China far outclasses the decrepit systems we have in this country. Medicine & medical treatment is far cheaper there than here. Literacy and educational levels are much higher.....and, finally, let's speak of the military threat China supposedly poses: as far as I know, China has never fought a war outside its borders - US: Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Lots of talk by US military haws about how China is accelerating military spending. But if you look at any data, it shows the US still outspending China by 4 to 1.

Sorry for this lengthy response.
Finally, some objectivity here.

So much media propaganda and Trump MAGA has screwed with people's minds about China.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
China has never fought a war outside its borders - US: Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Lots of talk by US military haws about how China is accelerating military spending. But if you look at any data, it shows the US still outspending China by 4 to 1.
Throughout history, China has mostly only defended herself. First, it was the Mongols. Then it was the British (Opium Wars). Then it was the Japanese.

Even when China had the highest GDP in the world a few hundred years ago, it did not invade countries.

Meanwhile:

1679928452925.png

Reactions: zakarhino

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The rot inside Apple runs deep. It's only just getting exposed. Apple hasn't really moved the needle in terms of groundbreaking technological advances besides Apple Silicon for a decade and all the while hemorrhaged billions making movies and TV shows that have no long-term revenue-generating potential.

Apple's inability to ship an EV after close to a decade of development speaks volumes of Tim Cook's (in)ability to lead.

I said it before and I say it now. Get rid of him before it's too late.
Excellent! “Apple is doomed!” has returned. It’s been a quiet decade without it. 😂

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Hm - "better" can be very subjective. We, in West have a tendency to judge other countries by our standards - but those standards changed over our history and are also based on the resources & limitations of our countries. Is it really fair to judge a country that has been trying for less than 50 years to bring up the standard of living of their 1.5 billion people to a country with only 300 million people and which has had 300 years to get to its current standard of living?

I'm not making excuses for China's repression of various minorities in their country - but perhaps we should look a bit more at our own history before casting stones. E.g. China's repression of the Uyghurs is but child's play compared to what the US did to the native Americans or the West's use of slavery to benefit their countries.

China has nearly accomplished in 50 years, what took those countries centuries. It raised more people out of abject poverty than the entire populations of the US and Europe combined. Yes, the country has human rights issues and we don't like its non-democratic system of government. But there's no denying its success either. And what country is without problems? We chastise the Chinese for their treatment of the Uyghurs - yet here at home in the US, we allow 20,000+ of our citizens to be killed by guns every year. We lost 2 million+ people to Covid because our leaders thought that drinking bleach will cure it. Our children need armed teachers because they're afraid of the next mass shooting. China has none of those issues. Their children are safe in schools and nobody dies in mass shootings; despite being a 5 times bigger country, they had 1/10th people die from covid. Mass transit and telecom technology in China far outclasses the decrepit systems we have in this country. Medicine & medical treatment is far cheaper there than here. Literacy and educational levels are much higher.....and, finally, let's speak of the military threat China supposedly poses: as far as I know, China has never fought a war outside its borders - US: Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Lots of talk by US military haws about how China is accelerating military spending. But if you look at any data, it shows the US still outspending China by 4 to 1.

Sorry for this lengthy response.
Not to disagree with a lot you mentioned (particularly with USA facts since I'm European) but the first 2 countries of your list are exactly countries were China did fight wars abroad.
Who do you think the US really fought in Korea?
We could also include Tibet.
I don't wish anything bad for China but it would be in the West best interest to progressively untangle itself from China.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Not to disagree with a lot you mentioned (particularly with USA facts since I'm European) but the first 2 countries of your list are exactly countries were China did fight wars abroad.
Who do you think the US really fought in Korea?
We could also include Tibet.
I don't wish anything bad for China but it would be in the West best interest to progressively untangle itself from China.
How many wars do you think the US has fought in its short 300 year history? How many war crimes do you think the US committed?

Should Apple leave the US?

To me, it seems like China has been a better model than the US.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
How many wars do you think the US has fought in its short 300 year history? How many war crimes do you think the US committed?

Should Apple leave the US?

To me, it seems like China has been a better model than the US.
Probably a lot (wars and crimes like everyone else) and so what?

It still would be in the West best interest to progressively separate itself from China.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Probably a lot (wars and crimes like everyone else) and so what?

It still would be in the West best interest to progressively separate itself from China.
Fine. Just don't say that the US is benevolent. The US is clearly the bully and the worser evil of the two.

Hence, based on the logic of forum posters here, Apple should exit the US as soon as possible.

Alpha God Vonn

Suspended
Sep 20, 2021
Apple still thinks they can get away with ever increasing Chinese government hostility towards western world and continue to provide their hardware and software in that country?
At some point, the political cost would be too big to bear and Apple may have no choice but to Leave. Not today, but I don’t know when.
Dude quit buying into all the media madness. Behind closed doors both corporations the USA & China are working together. Divide & concur is the oldest game in the books. It’s chess not checkers .

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
I'd argue that it's the West that has been way more hostile towards China - which in turn is more hostile to the West.

The relationship was fine during Obama's years. It turned ugly during Trump MAGA years.
Down to Obama's kids waving Chinese flags when the President of China arrived. The Obamas were so clueless to protocol that they didn't realize (or care) that the First Family waving the flag of another country, especially a Communist one, is a big no-no. Sycophants the lot of them.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Down to Obama's kids waving Chinese flags when the President of China arrived. The Obamas were so clueless to protocol that they didn't realize (or care) that the First Family waving the flag of another country, especially a Communist one, is a big no-no. Sycophants the lot of them.
Oh f sakes. It's a friendly gesture. Learn to be tolerant of others in the world. I know the tolerance of others is hard for the MAGA crowd and all...

Reactions: ninecows

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Oh f sakes. It's a friendly gesture. Learn to be tolerant of others in the world.
Oh, please. What Obama knew about protocol and world affairs couldn't fill a thimble.

I recall a debate in 2012 between Obama and Romney. Romney was asked who he thought was the biggest threat to world security and he said "Russia." Obama laughed at him and said that "He (Romney) had an old Cold War mentality. The world has changed…" and Russia wasn't a threat.

Well,…

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
The one country we could do with a little less involvement with, at least until they learn how to treat their own citizens better.
So you have not understood anything about human and especially Chinese psychology. Or you just don’t care.

If you want to change their standpoint you need to make friends with them. Or at least talk politely to them. Keep the negativity out of public. Not humiliate them in public As is being done now.

What the US government is doing right now is giving China every excuse to make even better friends with Putin and I don’t see a reason for that unless you really want a 3rd world war.

Reactions: senttoschool

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Oh, please. What Obama knew about protocol and world affairs couldn't fill a thimble.

I recall a debate in 2012 between Obama and Romney. Romney was asked who he thought was the biggest threat to world security and he said "Russia." Obama laughed at him and said that "He (Romney) had an old Cold War mentality. The world has changed…" and Russia wasn't a threat.

Well,…
Both were wrong. Seems to me that US foreign policy and the expansion of NATO is just as much a threat

• Disagree
Reactions: MacProFCP

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Finally, some objectivity here.

So much media propaganda and Trump MAGA has screwed with people's minds about China.

Quite an ironic statement, tied up in one sentence. In the very near future, the whole world will see the real truth about who truly runs the world and pulls all of the strings, and how it's all catastrophically crashing down as we speak. Their millennia of control is finished, but the end game has to play out, and it is at a very rapid pace. There will be a period of suffering, but it's going to be glorious when it's all said and done, and everyone will wonder how and why they didn't see it before.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Quite an ironic statement, tied up in one sentence. In the very near future, the whole world will see the real truth about who truly runs the world and pulls all of the strings, and how it's all catastrophically crashing down as we speak. Their millennia of control is finished, but the end game has to play out, and it is at a very rapid pace. There will be a period of suffering, but it's going to be glorious when it's all said and done, and everyone will wonder how and why they didn't see it before.
This is the kind of hate the mass media has bred.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: swamprock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.