Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That is the consequence of pompous talk. Apple does it, and consequently they get to hear about how they fail to live up to it too. If they had just kept their mouth proportional to their real-world actions, no one would be talking about all of this. That lack of guts to live by what they say, is what causes all the hubbub.
I say they (Apple) keep talking, keep doing and we’ll all have our take on this. Good thing Apple seemingly doesn’t listen to MR, and does what it does. “Pompous” is subjective anyway, it’s in the listening.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I say they (Apple) keep talking, keep doing and we’ll all have our take on this. Good thing Apple seemingly doesn’t listen to MR, and does what it does. “Pompous” is subjective anyway, it’s in the listening.

Its a shame they don't do. But that does not mean everyone just roll over and accept the status quo. Many recent examples show where things snowballing from social media have resulted in real pressure to force companies to do the right thing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its a shame they don't do. But that does not mean everyone just roll over and accept the status quo. Many recent examples show where things snowballing from social media have resulted in real pressure to force companies to do the right thing.
I’m glad apple marches to the beat of its own drum. Let the MR posters pick Apple apart and call Apple hypocritical; people will criticize and people will defend…but apple will do what it does. The status quo is being challenged by apple….as is what apple has done in 14.5.

Last edited:

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I love having these super fast modern devices with their gorgeous screens so I can have the fullest enjoyment of apps forcing me to watch a full screen ad usually a deceptive one about a junk game which almost always make it purposefully annoying to close out of it.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I’m glad apple marches to the beat of its own drum. Let the MR posters pick Apple apart and call Apple hypocritical; people will criticize and people will defend…but apple will do what it does. The status quo is being challenged by apple….as is what apple has done in 14.5.

I feel quite to the contrary that Apple not get too high on its own farts and begins to live up to some of its own proclamations. Challenging the status quo would be actually putting out a statement on what's going on in China - which they have utterly failed so far.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yet Tim Cook tries to portray Apple otherwise at every opportunity......
I guess I figured most people could read between the lines when it came to CEO speak. He’s competent, he’s gonna say the right things when he needs to and make decisions based on whats best for the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I feel quite to the contrary that Apple not get too high on its own farts and begins to live up to some of its own proclamations. Challenging the status quo would be actually putting out a statement on what's going on in China - which they have utterly failed so far.
Internal communications, Tim Cook doesn't seem to discuss specific locations and incidents. He doesn't publicly single out New York, but leave out California. He is doing what he should be doing, which, as per his prerogative is addressing general issues. I feel he is doing what he should be doing and has to be mindful, he is running a trillion dollar corporation and don't go around pissing people off. This includes the US, EU, China etc.

Now maybe mtneer can take up the slack on whatever it is felt that Tim Cook is leaving out. But to each our own ideas, thoughts and opinions.

But as I said earlier, I'm glad Apple doesn't take a cue out of the MR pagebook. That Apple ship would have sunk a long time ago.

Reactions: DNichter

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Internal communications, Tim Cook doesn't seem to discuss specific locations and incidents. He doesn't publicly single out New York, but leave out California. He is doing what he should be doing, which, as per his prerogative is addressing general issues. I feel he is doing what he should be doing and has to be mindful, he is running a trillion dollar corporation and don't go around pissing people off. This includes the US, EU, China etc.

Now maybe mtneer can take up the slack on whatever it is felt that Tim Cook is leaving out. But to each our own ideas, thoughts and opinions.

But as I said earlier, I'm glad Apple doesn't take a cue out of the MR pagebook. That Apple ship would have sunk a long time ago.

As I said, too many people have gotten high on Apple's farts. On some cursory research, one can find multiple instances where Apple has taken a stand on societal principle issues within specific states in the US:

Whether one agrees with Apple or not, they at least showed a record of taking a stance. Now all I am asking Apple and its boosters is that let's get some consistency in these so-called "principles" and apply it to a situation where it is not so easy to do it. Otherwise its quite dishonest on their part to incessantly put out holier-than-thou statements on "fundamental rights" and such.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As I said, too many people have gotten high on Apple's farts. On some cursory research, one can find multiple instances where Apple has taken a stand on societal principle issues within specific states in the US:

Whether one agrees with Apple or not, they at least showed a record of taking a stance. Now all I am asking Apple and its boosters is that let's get some consistency in these so-called "principles" and apply it to a situation where it is not so easy to do it. Otherwise its quite dishonest on their part to incessantly put out holier-than-thou statements on "fundamental rights" and such.
Notice I used the word "seems". That term "seems" leaves open the possibility of specific conversations around specific events. And Tim Cook is absolutely allowed to pick and chose what he want to communicate and they don't need MR forum posters to vet what is being said; especially with broad sweeping topics that is at hand in the United States where Apple is headquartered.

Conversely because there was commentary about legislation doesn't mean Apple or Tim Cook is under any obligation to comment on any further topics; or he may at some point comment on another topic at hand. This entire conversation about whether Apple talked about this but didn't discuss that is frankly, disingenuous.

Especially in an thread that is discussing the advertising effects of ios 14.5.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Notice I used the word "seems". That term "seems" leaves open the possibility of specific conversations around specific events. And Tim Cook is absolutely allowed to pick and chose what he want to communicate and they don't need MR forum posters to vet what is being said; especially with broad sweeping topics that is at hand in the United States where Apple is headquartered.

Conversely because there was commentary about legislation doesn't mean Apple or Tim Cook is under any obligation to comment on any further topics; or he may at some point comment on another topic at hand. This entire conversation about whether Apple talked about this but didn't discuss that is frankly, disingenuous.

Especially in an thread that is discussing the advertising effects of ios 14.5.

That would be tenable if Apple just stuck to iOS 14.5 and its benefits. No, they had to throw in some vainglorious fluff. Quoting the OP -

"...Cook reiterated Apple's longstanding belief that privacy is a "fundamental human right""

Apple and its boosters can't obfuscate & deflect its conduct behind ifs and buts. Apple staked a categorical stance which at least, so far, seems to be disingenuous.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That would be tenable if Apple just stuck to iOS 14.5 and its benefits. No, they had to throw in some vainglorious fluff. Quoting the OP -

"...Cook reiterated Apple's longstanding belief that privacy is a "fundamental human right""

Apple and its boosters can't obfuscate & deflect its conduct behind ifs and buts. Apple staked a categorical stance which at least, so far, seems to be disingenuous.
However the purview of the government, any government, to get to your private data overrides that fundamental right. But it doesn’t override the massive data collection and selling of your private data by private corporations. Perhaps that is the talking point and not the spin on that statement.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
However the purview of the government, any government, to get to your private data overrides that fundamental right. But it doesn’t override the massive data collection and selling of your private data by private corporations. Perhaps that is the talking point and not the spin on that statement.

They clearly put out statement criticizing laws when they don't like it, as evidenced in the links in post 114 above. So, it's disingenuous to say that somehow when something is under the purview of a government, then Apple gets to play dead. They clearly have chosen to speak when it is risk free and have chosen the craven path when its not so free of risk. Its not much of a principled stand.

Reactions: siddavis

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019

I think this needs to be taken within the context of discussion. Apple can only control what's within it's power to ensure the users of their products are sufficiently protected/informed as far as privacy in concered. The same iOS 14.5 will be available to all Apple's customers worldwide. What the US customer uses will be what their China customers uses. In this context, Apple is consistent and I don't see any obfuscation in this.

As pointed by others, Apple has to operate within the local laws where they operate in. As long as there are demands for Apple's products and services, it is stupid of them to leave money on the table.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think this needs to be taken within the context of discussion. Apple can only control what's within it's power to ensure the users of their products are sufficiently protected/informed as far as privacy in concered. The same iOS 14.5 will be available to all Apple's customers worldwide. What the US customer uses will be what their China customers uses. In this context, Apple is consistent and I don't see any obfuscation in this.

As pointed by others, Apple has to operate within the local laws where they operate in. As long as there are demands for Apple's products and services, it is stupid of them to leave money on the table.

That would be totally reasonable if Apple qualified their statement by saying that their "principles" only go as far as whoever they can sell down the river for money. It could have even been OK if they hadn't incessantly beaten their chest about their "principles" or just put out a demure press release or two. But they take every opportunity to thump their "principles" and therefore, I believe, thoroughly deserve to be called out about it.

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
That would be totally reasonable if Apple qualified their statement by saying that their "principles" only go as far as whoever they can sell down the river for money. It could have even been OK if they hadn't incessantly beaten their chest about their "principles" or just put out a demure press release or two. But they take every opportunity to thump their "principles" and therefore, I believe, thoroughly deserve to be called out about it.
Well, and again in this context, Tim Cook was in an interview and being asked questions. It is free advertising so might as well go with corporate marketing speak. All CEOs does that.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Well, and again in this context, Tim Cook was in an interview and being asked questions. It is free advertising so might as well go with corporate marketing speak. All CEOs does that.

Not all CEO's have chosen to be silent and complicit. Quite a few have withdrawn entirely from China and others have taken stances recently that led to furore in Chinese social media. But they have done something....

In any case morals are not relative.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They clearly put out statement criticizing laws when they don't like it, as evidenced in the links in post 114 above. So, it's disingenuous to say that somehow when something is under the purview of a government, then Apple gets to play dead. They clearly have chosen to speak when it is risk free and have chosen the craven path when its not so free of risk. Its not much of a principled stand.
You’re making a false equivalency. It’s disingenuous to make a comparison to some broad legislation compared to the issue of “privacy”. In general, Tim Cook has every right to pick and chose what is communicated. You can criticize him, the next person can disagree with that criticism. And so it goes.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
You’re making a false equivalency. It’s disingenuous to make a comparison to some broad legislation compared to the issue of “privacy”. In general, Tim Cook has every right to pick and chose what is communicated. You can criticize him, the next person can disagree with that criticism. And so it goes.

And of course you are free to like them, no matter what. But my condemnation of Apple is still unchanged. I want them to take at least some baby steps towards reflecting on their own silence and the complicity it breeds to what's happening. And maybe, if it's possible a tinge of conscience lights up somewhere, then they do something about it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And of course you are free to like them, no matter what. But my condemnation of Apple is still unchanged. I want them to take at least some baby steps towards reflecting on their own silence and the complicity it breeds to what's happening. And maybe, if it's possible a tinge of conscience lights up somewhere, then they do something about it.
Having differences makes the world go around. China manufactures what percent of the worlds goods? I’ll wager most have some goods manufactured in China. The do as I say and not as I do is amazing.

Tim is entitled to chose his words. Im glad he does what he thinks needs to be done, but it’s never enough for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.