Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
While he admitted not knowing how to use a computer, he is the first Pope to use Twitter, and his old iPad was auctioned for $30,500 last year.

Nope. That was Benedict.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/12/world/europe/vatican-pope-twitter/

He did use an iPad to post the tweet.
_64723735_64723565.jpg

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Apple is accused of operating multiple subsidiaries in Ireland to avoid paying higher taxes outside the United States, where it earns just under 60% of its revenue. Apple books its taxes in Ireland using low operating costs, allowing it to pay a foreign tax rate of only 1.8%, according to the report.
Isn't this mixing up two things? Europe doesn't care about US taxes, Europe cares about EU taxes. They don't like that Apple is trying to game EU nations against one another...

Keeping profits outside the US is a different issue, and one that the EU is probably perfectly happy with.

Reactions: Night Spring

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
You missed the joke..... The church does very well avoiding paying taxes also ;)
Not only that! They receive also taxes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax
[doublepost=1453493642][/doublepost]
Am I missing something? They're not creating an app development center in AMERICA?
Which part of America? In the U.S. big companies and also smaller companies have their own "app developer centers". Why should Apple reinvent the wheel in the U.S.?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Vatican City is far from "meaningless".
They are the capital of the still fully functioning Roman Empire.
The Vatican Bank is the biggest inthe world and the Vatican Library surpasses Alexandria.

By the way, way is Il Papa giving Tim Cook a Masonic handshake ....

You got it. They are both charter Illuminati, after all.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Does the 1.4 million includes developers who created a single app (or even just registered as developers)? The definition of "job" is a little sketchy here.
The definition of job creation is always sketchy. If the dev who only made one app worked every day in the same cafe, allowing that cafe to hire another waiter, for example, then that's two jobs. Or two fractions of a job, depending on how you count and which fraction of the job gets credit for creating it.

Always take "created x jobs" with a grain of salt. "Employs x workers" is only marginally more well defined...

Reactions: yaxomoxay

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So meaningless that its diplomacy has been used for decades, last but not least to put the US in contact with Cuba for one of the most important diplomatic exchanges in modern history.
[doublepost=1453487911][/doublepost]

Lol. Without wishing to get too OT I think you're vastly overstating the Pope's significance there and especially it being "one of the most important diplomatic exchanges in modern history". That comment is laughable.

Just because the US finally got over its spat with Cuba that the rest of the world got over and stopped caring about decades ago hardly qualifies as important on the world stage currently, let alone "most important diplomatic exchanges in modern history". You can thank the confluence of the switch to Raul Castro and Obama who is more diplomatic than recent US presidents for this. Fidel probably couldn't forgive the US for trying to kill him so many times, and I probably wouldn't either.

The Pope is powerful among those unfortunate enough to be afflicted by a particular strain of The God Delusion, nothing more and nothing less. In the world of geopolitics, Vatican City and its religion have never been less influential "in modern history".

I doubt there are many other world leaders willing to meet Tim Cook unless signicant investment is involved.

Last edited:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
They probably discussed global warming.
The pope and Cook are pretty much the same. Surely Tim knows how to meet the people of its kind. You want to believe they are religious people he's meeting with, the other is called reverend. I would not get into that part.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
Gays are Evil, Pope preached not that long ago and yet they all smiling, shaking hands chitchatting.

Love it. I'm glad I live in this century.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Must be something American. I just don't get it.

Is this Vatican 2.0? Does the Pope own a white iMac? Is this why Apple made earbuds white? Is there a vote-a-Pope app and does it smoke? Are they all lizards? Does Dan Brown know? Questions, questions...

I'd rather be American and question things than be a gullible European serf and look down on Americans questioning things.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
The Pope? Seriously, why?!

This is also an example of how money can overcome stated attitudes towards sexual preferences until, of course, the money goes away when the stated attitudes will return. This is also an example of the complete falseness of smiles and handshakes. You might note that both parties have lost the ability to smile instead going for a type of strained grimace that could be loosely interpreted as a long forgotten friendly, facial greeting. The eyes, of course, retain their ability to beam out the underlying devious, devilish malice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.