Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I have a titanium now and don’t want to go titanium again.
Is it because (pure) Titanium scratches too easily? I want to avoid this issue by going for DLC on Ti. But if you have other reasons for switching materials, I’d be interested to learn about your reasons for that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is it because (pure) Titanium scratches too easily? I want to avoid this issue by going for DLC on Ti. But if you have other reasons for switching materials, I’d be interested to learn about your reasons for that.

The Natural titanium includes a fingerprint resistant coating, which offers some minor protection at best, some have claimed that the natural titanium scratches easily and others have said they dropped theirs on a hard surface without damage. [Obviously your mileage may vary.] I would say of all the Apple Watch cases, natural titanium is the most divisive, because it’s been claimed to be extreme with durability or scratched with little effort.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
The titanium is a tough buy. I have Garmin stuff and their regular titanium definitely scratches. I’ve also seen a guy on YouTube completely remove scratches with a cloth on a titanium Apple Watch, so maybe it’s not a huge issue.

Probably the biggest negative for me is that I turn these things every year. Sometimes I get frustrated with the battery and don’t even keep the Apple Watch for a year. The resale on titanium is rough, really rough, like not far from the aluminum.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I love the idea of ti. It’s a cool novelty but this isn’t an omega etc. It’s an electronic tool I’ll update every year. I think the look of the graphite SS and it’s band look way nicer then my aw5 sbti with its gray band and matte black case. But I still cant get the ti out of my head. Wait that’s Kylie. Sia is more Titanium lol.
The titanium is a tough buy. I have Garmin stuff and their regular titanium definitely scratches. I’ve also seen a guy on YouTube completely remove scratches with a cloth on a titanium Apple Watch, so maybe it’s not a huge issue.

Probably the biggest negative for me is that I turn these things every year. Sometimes I get frustrated with the battery and don’t even keep the Apple Watch for a year. The resale on titanium is rough, really rough, like not far from the aluminum.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
There's no mention of display material anywhere. They mention the back (ceramic/sapphire except for S3), but not the displays. I'm assuming (hoping? haha!!) that SS/Ti will be sapphire like before. Even Apple Chat couldn't confirm.

strange there's no specific mention on Apple's site, but according to Slashgear, they asked Apple:
"Update: Apple tells us that the Series 6 aluminum version uses Ion-X glass, while the stainless steel and titanium versions use a sapphire crystal. All models have a ceramic and sapphire crystal back."

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
strange there's no specific mention on Apple's site, but according to Slashgear, they asked Apple:
"Update: Apple tells us that the Series 6 aluminum version uses Ion-X glass, while the stainless steel and titanium versions use a sapphire crystal. All models have a ceramic and sapphire crystal back."

Just look on the back of the watch. See if it says "SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL"

Reactions: ANDJOE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I know your post is from Friday, but That would be accurate. The Ion-X glass is the basic standard display material for the aluminum Model only.

applewatchcollector

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Do not hesitate to get Titanium. I got the light gray in Series 5 thinking I would get a Stainless Steel soon after and rotate and never got around to getting the Steel.

Pros
  1. you don’t have to worry about finger prints
  2. tough to scratch, mine looks new and I‘be put it through a lot
  3. looks close to Aluminum Silver so any band you like in that finish will go really well with this watch
  4. also works with darker bands because it is gray after all
  5. lighter than Stainless you can work out in it (I also have a Nike for working out and sometimes I don’t bother switching them out since the weight difference is barely noticeable
  6. extremely comfortable for all day wear due to the weight
  7. while others don’t know it’s titanium you do, and you will feel good about it (if you are from the mechanical watch world you know what I’m talking about)

Cons
  1. if you like the heft of mechanical watches on your wrist this watch is too light (go with Stainless which feels like a real mechanical watch)
  2. does not work well with leather bands other than the Leather Loop (since it doesn’t have a silver connector for it to stand out against the body of the Titanium)

Having said all this, with Series 6 I went with Stainless Silver as I miss my Classic Buckles and Hermès bands. I literally haven’t worn them in a year, so it’s a whole new experience going back to them. Although, my silver stainless has already picked up scratches and I know that within a year it’s going to look terrible compared to new (unless you like that beaten up, worn look which I know a lot of mechanical watch people are into).

TLDR: do not worry about the finish of the Titanium, it will last MUCH better than stainless steel.

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Can always throw a leather conditioner on it. I did that in the past with some leather phone cases and it worked well. Apply, let it sit, wipe excess and let it dry.
update.... These bands do not patina like cases. Ive tried everything.

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Over the course of time, The oils from your hands should naturally create a patina on the band? Am I right? Or am I missing something here?
Its a different type of leather. It must be coated or bonded. It doesn't absorb liquids or oils it seems.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
A little late but I've joined the club. Upgraded from a series 2 and it's so much faster and the screen size is amazing.
unnamed.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.