Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solrunner

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Does the sapphire glass do any better at hiding fingerprint oils than the Ion-X Glass? Seems like the oleophobic coating gradually wore off of my S4 aluminum and I have to often wipe the face to remove the cloudy fingerprint smudges. I wonder if the oleophobic coating on the sapphire is better or will wear off just like ion-x.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does the sapphire glass do any better at hiding fingerprint oils than the Ion-X Glass?

Nope (I’ve owned both with the Ion and Sapph). The purpose of the Oleophobic coating is really just for a ‘minor scratch resistance’ and smudges. But no matter what, it really depends on The oil Composition from someone’s hand that creates more of a cloudy look on the display.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Does the sapphire glass do any better at hiding fingerprint oils than the Ion-X Glass? Seems like the oleophobic coating gradually wore off of my S4 aluminum and I have to often wipe the face to remove the cloudy fingerprint smudges. I wonder if the oleophobic coating on the sapphire is better or will wear off just like ion-x.

No, but it cleans off much easier IMO with no threat of scratching the screen. But the trade off is glare when in direct sunlight.

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Went swimming at my friends house yesterday, got out and went to go use the bathroom. When I went to go open the pool gate, my watch fell about 5 feet onto concrete. My heart dropped. Thankfully but sadly this is what happened.. Is it ridiculous to file a AC claim for just this? ??

A9B8E805-0E86-4E8E-818B-48148313A371.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Went swimming at my friends house yesterday, got out and went to go use the bathroom. When I went to go open the pool gate, my watch fell about 5 feet onto concrete. My heart dropped. Thankfully but sadly this is what happened.. Is it ridiculous to file a AC claim for just this?

View attachment 948054
That must have been so annoying but seeing as it’s on the back, I wouldn’t bother. The watch is rapidly losing value anyway so paying an excess fee to have it repaired when it’s not something that is seen, for me is pointless. Are you ok knowing it’s damaged or does it bug you?

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
That must have been so annoying but seeing as it’s on the back, I wouldn’t bother. The watch is rapidly losing value anyway so paying an excess fee to have it repaired when it’s not something that is seen, for me is pointless. Are you ok knowing it’s damaged or does it bug you?
It’s slightly hurts me just knowing I finally went all out and bought the most expensive model. But honestly I wouldn’t have seen the damage had I not decided to deep clean it today. I’ll probably be okay, I do love the overall titanium lightness and feel.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Went swimming at my friends house yesterday, got out and went to go use the bathroom. When I went to go open the pool gate, my watch fell about 5 feet onto concrete. My heart dropped. Thankfully but sadly this is what happened.. Is it ridiculous to file a AC claim for just this? 😅🥺

View attachment 948054

I wouldn’t use an Apple Care claim for that. As long as the sapphire display didn’t shatter and/or crack, that’s all that matters.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
How's everyone's natural titanium watch holding up? I'm considering going this route for the S6 as my last 2 watches (S3 and current S4) are both SS space black. I really liked them, they hold up great and when wiped down look brand new. I always like the the shiny SS but it shows all those micro scratches and that would drive me crazy. So I was looking more into the natural Titanium. How does the Space black Titanium hold up just as well?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I really hope their is a Titanium AW 6, but who knows as they change up these Edition versions every year. It has been my favorite so far.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
How's everyone's natural titanium watch holding up? I'm considering going this route for the S6 as my last 2 watches (S3 and current S4) are both SS space black. I really liked them, they hold up great and when wiped down look brand new. I always like the the shiny SS but it shows all those micro scratches and that would drive me crazy. So I was looking more into the natural Titanium. How does the Space black Titanium hold up just as well?
My natural Titanium is still nearly pristine. I have a single, faint scratch along the lower band connector probably caused by a scrape with a metal lug. I used a soft cloth and polished it with a little pressure and the blemish is nearly invisible. I’m quite pleased by the Ti durability.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Mine is doing well as well...a few scratches but those were taken care of with a little scrubber.

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
My natural Titanium is still nearly pristine. I have a single, faint scratch along the lower band connector probably caused by a scrape with a metal lug. I used a soft cloth and polished it with a little pressure and the blemish is nearly invisible. I’m quite pleased by the Ti durability.
Mine is doing well as well...a few scratches but those were taken care of with a little scrubber.
"Nearly pristine" is my experience too. I wear my natural Ti AW6 all day, and I bump it into gym equipment and door handles maybe once a week. Up to now (after a bit less than year), I have had five very minor scratches I could easily rub off with a plastic eraser. The sapphire glass is completely flawless, too – very much in contrast to my aluminum Series 3, whose "Ion-X" glass caught a number of very visible scratches in the first year. I am happy to recommend it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
"Nearly pristine" is my experience too. I wear my natural Ti AW6 all day, and I bump it into gym equipment and door handles maybe once a week. Up to now (after a bit less than year), I have had five very minor scratches I could easily rub off with a plastic eraser. The sapphire glass is completely flawless, too – very much in contrast to my aluminum Series 3, whose "Ion-X" glass caught a number of very visible scratches in the first year. I am happy to recommend it.

Bolded:

Not to sway the topic away from the thread, but when I first purchased the aluminum Apple Watch when it launched in 2015, I literally wore it for a day and I remember I was covering my Stainless grill with a cover and Just barely grazed the side of the grill with the watch, I remember looking down and I could see this faint hairline scratch on the display. Within the same day, I took the watch off my wrist, unpaired it from the iPhone and sold it on eBay, just because I was disappointed it scratched that easily. I agree the stainless paired with the sapphire, I would gladly paid three times over what the cost just to have the sapphire, which is never scratched over I’ve owned over the years. (I’ve had five stainless Apple watches, all of them I sold in pristine condition with zero markings on the display.)

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
I wish my sapphire SBTi held up like my regular watches with sapphire. Picked up another scratch tonight lifting up our washing machine to check under it. Screen scrubbed against the tile floor and I heard the crunch. It now has a light scuff on the upper curve of the screen. Not as bad as the one in the corner that you can catch a fingernail on, but it’s disappointing nonetheless. Apple must not use the same quality sapphire as the normal watches I have.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I wish my sapphire SBTi held up like my regular watches with sapphire. Picked up another scratch tonight lifting up our washing machine to check under it. Screen scrubbed against the tile floor and I heard the crunch. It now has a light scuff on the upper curve of the screen. Not as bad as the one in the corner that you can catch a fingernail on, but it’s disappointing nonetheless. Apple must not use the same quality sapphire as the normal watches I have.

I believe it’s a thin sapphire layer on top only.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

To be fair in your post, you said you “Heard the crunch”, which sounds like it wasn’t like some sort of type of rubbing or abrasion against the tile floor, it almost sounds like you had an impact of weight from the washer on your wrist. I don’t think maybe the sapphire is to blame here, as there’s so many scenarios that our wrists come in contact with every day, which how can we possibly ‘blame’ the sapphire for so many different scenarios that may or may not scratch your watch. I think it’s important that we take in account of everything that the Sapphire does very well, but certainly isn’t guaranteeing surviving every possible instance either.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Went swimming at my friends house yesterday, got out and went to go use the bathroom. When I went to go open the pool gate, my watch fell about 5 feet onto concrete. My heart dropped. Thankfully but sadly this is what happened.. Is it ridiculous to file a AC claim for just this? ??

View attachment 948054
Don’t pay to get it fixed. It is very minor. You can get the series 6 or wait another year for the next watch, as you continue to wear what you have now.

Reactions: jazz1

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
To be fair in your post, you said you “Heard the crunch”, which sounds like it wasn’t like some sort of type of rubbing or abrasion against the tile floor, it almost sounds like you had an impact of weight from the washer on your wrist. I don’t think maybe the sapphire is to blame here, as there’s so many scenarios that our wrists come in contact with every day, which how can we possibly ‘blame’ the sapphire for so many different scenarios that may or may not scratch your watch. I think it’s important that we take in account of everything that the Sapphire does very well, but certainly isn’t guaranteeing surviving every possible instance either.

I understand what you’re getting at and I don’t expect sapphire to be indestructible. The high quality sapphire will still crack or shatter if drop. But I can assure you there was no impact. Maybe “crunch” was the wrong word to use. I was just trying to get the front of the washer up slightly to adjust the feet. I had my hand palm up under the front edge and rotated my wrist to try and lift it. I didn’t realize my watch was that close to the tile and the rotation brought the screen into contact with the tile. I could hear it drag against it maybe is more accurate. So while there was no impact, there was some pressure from my arm as the screen scraped against the tile. And it was enough to scuff it. Just bummed me a bit as it didn’t seem hard enough to damage the screen (plus I didn’t think tile would be hard enough. I expected scratches on the case, not the screen) and I was mad at myself as I usually will take it off to avoid damage while working on something.

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Odds of another Ti being released tomorrow? I'd put them at extremely low unfortunately. :(

Just judging by online chatter, it doesn't sound like a ton of these sold and Apple likes to mix up the "Edition" models year to year. I really hope they still have one, but I'm not optimistic.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Odds of another Ti being released tomorrow? I'd put them at extremely low unfortunately. :(

Just judging by online chatter, it doesn't sound like a ton of these sold and Apple likes to mix up the "Edition" models year to year. I really hope they still have one, but I'm not optimistic.
There wasn’t much chatter about titanium last year was there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.