Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'm definitely getting a silver titanium, I'm impressed it's only $100 more. I love my SS, but always wished it had that brushed look my Rolex has. I've heard that many think the titanium just looks like the aluminum one, but to me they look very much different, I enclosed comp pics below. I don't like the black one at all as that one does look like the aluminum version.

So who else is springing for the titanium version!??

Silver Titanium:
titanium.JPG

Black Titanium:
black.JPG

Aluminum to compare:
alum.JPG

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Wow, I like that black titanium over my current black stainless. Is titanium any tougher than stainless, especially in black?

Reactions: Sikh

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
My interest is peaked being it’s only $100, and you get an extra band. I have a SBSS.

But why titanium? No one is talking about it. In what way will it be better?

To me the black SS vs Titanium look exactly the same. I like the weight of SS over the sport I used to have. I imagine the titanium would feel light again.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Titanium in a watch doesn’t generally present any “upgrades” over the stainless steel. The weight, while lighter, doesn’t equate to an actual improvement and the cost of Ti in this amount is negligible versus the stainless steel. It’s certainly not a stronger material as steel is generally harder than Ti. What we are paying for is mostly the allure of titanium and maybe some added costs on Apple’s end given the process for these presumably does vary from either of the previous materials.

I’m still going to get the silver titanium one.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'm definitely getting a silver titanium, I'm impressed it's only $100 more. I love my SS, but always wished it had that brushed look my Rolex has.

I've been wanting brushed steel since the beginning for the same reason, but I'm skipping titanium because of the warmer hue of the metal, which may not match my bracelet. Looks great on a rubber strap, though.

Reactions: dabotsonline

MFDoom

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Given this is all speculation since none of us have it in our hands yet, but if you had a black SSB link bracelet, will that really look good on the SB Titanium watch case? I looked at the Create your Style pictures, but I can't tell if it is fashionable. Thoughts?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wow, I like that black titanium over my current black stainless. Is titanium any tougher than stainless, especially in black?

I'm the opposite ( :) ) - I prefer the glossy finish of my SB Stainless Steel to the matte finish of the SB Titanium.

But why titanium? No one is talking about it. In what way will it be better?

Titanium is lighter than Stainless Steel and those who were allowed to wear both (the Ti and the SB SS Hermes) noted the Ti felt lighter. This might improve the taptic feedback feel, as well (it is more pronounced on Al watches than SS due to the lighter weight).

Given this is all speculation since none of us have it in our hands yet, but if you had a black SSB link bracelet, will that really look good on the SB Titanium watch case?

Looking at my SB SS Link Bracelet, it's more of a matte finish than glossy so I expect it will match well. Maybe see if someone has posted a SB Aluminum watch with the SB SS Link Bracelet as that should be in the general ballpark.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Plus you get a second band with the titanium models, a special color sport-band. Dark grey for the black one, and I think a lighter gray for the silver.

View attachment 857428

At only $50 more than the sport loop option, I may want to get the titanium with the leather loop and sell or gift my series 4 to someone.

Tough choice... I am really tempted by the "always on" functionality. It is possibly my biggest annoyance with the watch coming from fairly nice, traditional watches.

Reactions: deeddawg

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I chose Titanium because Sia is made of Titanium. Its more of a novelty then anything but it is a pretty unique metal with some interesting properties. I've had the SSSB for the last 2 watches and decided to go Ti black due to the DCL and I don't want my partner to know I got a new watch lol. I really would have like Black ceramic. As far as hardness some grades are harder and some are softer then SS. Grade 5 is definitely harder then SS but who knows what apple will use.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Torn between Titanium white/silver and Titanium Space Black... I ended up ordering both and will have to see in person... The Ti SB looks great when paired with the Space Black Link Bracelet, but other than that, not sure what else this will pair up with...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t know why Apple doesn’t make the Hermes in titanium.

I’m guessing exclusivity, keep in mind, Hermes is very much involved in terms of Apple using _their_ branding, and it could be just easier for manufacturing just to use a stainless model, being it’s one of the most expensive Apple Watches offered for a boutique item.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I’m guessing exclusivity, keep in mind, Hermes is very much involved in terms of Apple using _their_ branding, and it could be just easier for manufacturing just to use a stainless model, being it’s one of the most expensive Apple Watches offered for a boutique item.
Agreed, but the titanium is just $100 more than the stainless steel model, and is likely more “exclusive.” I think most Hermes buyers would be willing to spring the extra $100. I get why the ceramic is separate, though.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
The one that interested me as a SBSS S4 wearer is the Space Black Titanium but let’s be honest the brushed look I’m sure is attractive but from more than 18 inches away will ANYONE be able to tell this watch from the cheap Space Gray aluminum? They look identical!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
In looking at photos, the Titanium looks more grey than black, and definitely because of the matte finish, quite different from my beloved space black stainless steel; it appears to me that the Hermes is more like my current Space Black, truly black, and would look nicer with my black link bracelet that I've had since the beginning..... I can see that this is one of those situations where I will need to visit the store and actually see both items in person before making any decisions.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
The one that interested me as a SBSS S4 wearer is the Space Black Titanium but let’s be honest the brushed look I’m sure is attractive but from more than 18 inches away will ANYONE be able to tell this watch from the cheap Space Gray aluminum? They look identical!
Have you been pleased with the band offerings that pair well with such a black sleek model?

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Have you been pleased with the band offerings that pair well with such a black sleek model?

If you are referring to my SBSS I admit I tend to wear it mainly with sports bands and loops which all work well, and if I want to dress it up I go with leather bands that have black lugs. I really like the polished black and it is essentially scratch proof which I love but after a S0, S3, and S4 with it I am ready for a change. To be honest I’d consider space gray aluminum if it had sapphire but of course it doesn’t. I like the look of the space black titanium but in photos more than 18 inches away it looks nearly identical to space gray aluminum which kind of makes me wonder the worth of paying $850.

Reactions: diamornte

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
If you are referring to my SBSS I admit I tend to wear it mainly with sports bands and loops which all work well, and if I want to dress it up I go with leather bands that have black lugs. I really like the polished black and it is essentially scratch proof which I love but after a S0, S3, and S4 with it I am ready for a change. To be honest I’d consider space gray aluminum if it had sapphire but of course it doesn’t. I like the look of the space black titanium but in photos more than 18 inches away it looks nearly identical to space gray aluminum which kind of makes me wonder the worth of paying $850.
Totally agree with the last part - it does look identical - ish - on the other hand, the aluminum models also don’t have sapphire glass. I’m concerned Aluminum silver looks similar to the titanium white also, but in videos the titanium does have a reflective sheen to it not seen in aluminum.

Reactions: techpr

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Hmmm...
EEPEH7gVUAE-0Ip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.