Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
For good measure, here is aluminum silver vs titanium white/silver
EEPGTNTU4AEf_F7

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Titanium is a bit darker. That said, platinum doesn’t look that different from silver.

jhmaughan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
Apple specs show the exact same weight for SS and Ti cases. I hope that’s not correct. Have the brushed finish Ti on order and would prefer it be noticeably lighter than SS.
That is throwing me off too. I was all ready to get the titanium anticipating the lighter weight but was surprised to see identical weights. Not sure where else to verify that.
Titanium
SS
Aluminum
Click on tech specs to see the weights.

Reactions: Sticman and wlossw

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
That is throwing me off too. I was all ready to get the titanium anticipating the lighter weight but was surprised to see identical weights. Not sure where else to verify that.
Titanium
SS
Aluminum
Click on tech specs to see the weights.

I have seen a couple of hands on where they claim the Titanium feels lighter, guess we will find out. Weight really doesn't bother me either way, but hoping it is a bit lighter.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I am debating between the SS and Titanium models, there is a 100.00 difference between the 2. I currently have a 42mm Series 3 SS. Will all apple stores have them to try on on the 20th?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I am debating between the SS and Titanium models, there is a 100.00 difference between the 2. I currently have a 42mm Series 3 SS. Will all apple stores have them to try on on the 20th?

Yes. Big debate for me as well, but ordered the Titanium to try something new, if I don't like the look, will go back to SS.

Reactions: Porterhouse

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've been wanting brushed steel since the beginning for the same reason, but I'm skipping titanium because of the warmer hue of the metal, which may not match my bracelet. Looks great on a rubber strap, though.

Yeah I have to see it in person. In the picture above the titanium looks very much like brushed SS, but I'm sure that's in perfect lighting.
[doublepost=1568282575][/doublepost]
My interest is peaked being it’s only $100, and you get an extra band. I have a SBSS.

But why titanium? No one is talking about it. In what way will it be better?

To me the black SS vs Titanium look exactly the same. I like the weight of SS over the sport I used to have. I imagine the titanium would feel light again.

The black SS and titanium look completely different to me. I have a black SS and it's very shiny and smooth, the black titanium looks very matte and rough/brushed almost like a bare metal anodized finish. I agree on how nice a heavy watch is and often miss the heft of my mechanical watches when wearing an AW.
[doublepost=1568282700][/doublepost]
Here’s a pretty good look at the space black titanium at the 4:13 mark for those interested.

Oh wow the black titanium does look sharp!
[doublepost=1568282800][/doublepost]
I chose Titanium because Sia is made of Titanium. Its more of a novelty then anything but it is a pretty unique metal with some interesting properties. I've had the SSSB for the last 2 watches and decided to go Ti black due to the DCL and I don't want my partner to know I got a new watch lol. I really would have like Black ceramic. As far as hardness some grades are harder and some are softer then SS. Grade 5 is definitely harder then SS but who knows what apple will use.

If they did ceramic in colors I'd be tempted to go for that, something like a gunmetal grey would be really sweet looking.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
What a shame no titanium bands! This does give a good contrast on the SS vs titanium as I believe the link bracelet matches the SS pretty decently. I may be starting to veer back towards a SS AW, have to see them in person. My dream would be simply a brushed SS version.

Capture.JPG

Although interestingly enough the SS looks darker than the link bracelet, just not as dark as the titanium. I've never seen this combo in real life though so not sure how subtle the mismatch is, but it certainly looks more pronounced on the titanium model. 2nd pic below is the SS case.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Bones13

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
I had SS Apple Watch (1). Liked took, was too heavy. When it landed face down on a concrete floor, I got a series 3 AW in aluminum, a few months before AW4 came out, I was bummed to see the new display improvements.

I resolved to get AW5 if something new called to me. Titanium was the trigger. I perform total hip and knee replacements, with titanium being the major metal in total hips. Oh, that and the improved cardiac monitoring, and the always on screen...

Silver Ti AW with the grey sport loop. My son has no qualms about getting the AW3. Said delivery 9/20 when I ordered.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

FYI for that $100 you get a special color sport band with the Ti watches, and they come with a two year warranty vs one year for the others. On the other hand, AppleCare+ is $5/mo instead of $4/mo, but can be retained for three years in total.

Most folks believe the specs are a typo and we'll see what the reality is when watches hit the streets. Anecdotal comments from a couple reviewers suggest the Ti is definitely lighter than the SS.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I thought titanium looked like aluminum, but only because Apple's product shots of it were terrible during the keynote. Also using the web configurator there is barely a difference from straight above. Actually seeing other angles of it, you can actually see the brushed finish.

I like Apple's high end models (including the ceramic) but my main issue is that they don't release any high-end specific bands anymore. The SS bands look like they should match the titanium pretty well, but it would be nice if Apple had titanium specific options.

Reactions: wlossw

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I was ready to get the titanium I’ve the SS in the UK but the AC+ price difference isn’t worth it and I just can’t take the risk of owning an Apple Watch with AC.
I would have jumped for the titanium if the monthly AC was available in the UK.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I was ready to get the titanium I’ve the SS in the UK but the AC+ price difference isn’t worth it and I just can’t take the risk of owning an Apple Watch with AC.
I would have jumped for the titanium if the monthly AC was available in the UK.

Remember you get 2 years standard warranty and 3 years of AC+ with Hermes and Edition watches for the extra price.

Reactions: deeddawg

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
What a shame no titanium bands! This does give a good contrast on the SS vs titanium as I believe the link bracelet matches the SS pretty decently. I may be starting to veer back towards a SS AW, have to see them in person. My dream would be simply a brushed SS version.

View attachment 857574

Although interestingly enough the SS looks darker than the link bracelet, just not as dark as the titanium. I've never seen this combo in real life though so not sure how subtle the mismatch is, but it certainly looks more pronounced on the titanium model. 2nd pic below is the SS case.

View attachment 857575

Yeah, that’s what I was saying above. All the pics I’ve seen show the titanium to be the typical warmer titanium color, which won’t blend seamlessly with my links bracelet.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
In those comparison pictures above, the silver difference is more noticeable than the black to me. The TT silver has a color to it. The black one looks just ever so slightly darker and I'm guessing up close the brushed sheen will be noticeable.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I went with the Black Ti. If when I get it I don't like the look or find out there are issues I will exchange it for the SSBS. The Ti models have already slipped until sept 30 where it looks like the SS models are still available for the 20th

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would opt for the titanium, it would be strictly for the space black for the DLC coating. Also, it looks like it offers some type of protective finish against fingerprints/smudges. Black isn’t as difficult to pair is some others think, as I was able to be fairly custom with my space black stainless Apple Watch.

Reactions: diamornte

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Just looked at the price for the titanium with a sport loop in the UK and it’s an eye watering £799!! Wow. Nice finish on the case though.

agreed!! When I went to apple store earlier and the guy pointed out the titanium one is £100 dearer I was so tempted.... then I realised the AppleCare + is another £100!!!! So it’s actually £200 dearer. The AppleCare pushes it over £1k and I just can’t do that on a watch. Regardless of the sport band and awesome titanium! Shame for the money it doesn’t come with it included.

even if it was a monthly thing I would do it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.