Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
agreed!! When I went to apple store earlier and the guy pointed out the titanium one is £100 dearer I was so tempted.... then I realised the AppleCare + is another £100!!!!

Did he fail to mention that the warranty is for two years on the titanium model rather than one year, and the AppleCare+ is a total of three years rather than two?

It's unfortunate y'all don't have the pay-by-month option.

Reactions: sparkie1984

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Did he fail to mention that the warranty is for two years on the titanium model rather than one year, and the AppleCare+ is a total of three years rather than two?

Is that definitely the case in the UK? No he didn’t mention that!!!

That would make it a bit easier to stomach but still a lot of money to front up. Man I wish we had pay monthly
[doublepost=1568318119][/doublepost]

You are quite right :)

I have just looked it up

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You are quite right :)

I have just looked it up

Whew. I figured the UK would be the same but also figured you'd go check.

Also not sure if it matters to you but the titanium models also come with a Dark Grey or Light Gray Sport Band depending on which color watch you choose. This is in addition to whatever band you configure it with. So for my SB Titanium it'll come with both a sport loop and sport band.

May not make any difference to you though.

(Also double check if that's the case in the UK, it is in the US. :))

Reactions: sparkie1984

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Specs have been updated on Apple’s website.

44mm case weights:
  • 36.5g Aluminum
  • 41.7g Titanium
  • 47.8g Stainless Steel

Thanks for posting. Those numbers make more sense.

+5.2g from Aluminum to Titanium, +6.1g from Titanium to Stainless Steel.

FWIW - Ceramic is listed as 46.7g

EDIT: So that means SS is 14.6% heavier than Ti -- likely enough to notice but not something that'd by itself cause me to choose Titanium.

Last edited:

jxfo

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
Sweden
Having second thoughts about getting the Alaskan Blue Sport Loop for the Ti after ordering the green iPhone 11 Pro as well. Probably not going to match at all. Those of you with Ti and the green iPhone on pre-order, which band are you getting?

Thinking I'll sell the Alaskan Blue, use an old white or grey Sport Loop instead and get the Saddle Brown Leather Loop to mix things up.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thinking I'll sell the Alaskan Blue, use an old white or grey Sport Loop instead and get the Saddle Brown Leather Loop to mix things up.
Remember that your titanium watch comes with a coordinating exclusive-color Sport Band in the box, as well as the ordered sport loop.

Reactions: jxfo

jxfo

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
Sweden
Remember that your titanium watch comes with a coordinating exclusive-color Sport Band in the box, as well as the ordered sport loop.

Yeah, that's true. Forgot about that one. It'll definitely go well with the phone.
Looking forward to seeing all this new gear IRL now.

Reactions: deeddawg

adaone

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Having second thoughts about getting the Alaskan Blue Sport Loop for the Ti after ordering the green iPhone 11 Pro as well. Probably not going to match at all. Those of you with Ti and the green iPhone on pre-order, which band are you getting?

I’m sitting this round of iPhone out, but would’ve gotten it in green. I ordered my Ti watch with the pine green band since I think it works well with the hue of the titanium, and would match the phone

jxfo

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
Sweden
I’m sitting this round of iPhone out, but would’ve gotten it in green. I ordered my Ti watch with the pine green band since I think it works well with the hue of the titanium, and would match the phone

Nice choice, it'll look great. I've never worn a Sport Band for an extended period myself - do you find it to be as comfortable as the Loop?

adaone

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Nice choice, it'll look great. I've never worn a Sport Band for an extended period myself - do you find it to be as comfortable as the Loop?

I've tried, but never bought a sport loop. I'll admit the loops are more comfortable being continuous and fabric-based. Similar to how I prefer my Milanese Loop a lot of times since it's a single piece, not that Sport Bands are uncomfortable. But for everyday wear, the Sport Bands are my go to. Don't have to worry about liquids, can be easily cleaned, and not that I have evidence, but I don't have to worry about the fabric snagging or showing threads.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Not really understanding the comments of not wanting the Titanium model because it looks too much like the Aluminum. First off, and obviously this is my opinion, but I don’t think they look anything alike. Secondly, you’re paying for the actual material and the properties associated with it. You can polish Aluminum and it will look very similar to the Stainless Steel, but will you get the same properties?

If you’re worried that complete strangers may think you’re wearing the Aluminum model when it’s really Titanium, then the issue is not with the Watch.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
My 40mm titanium black is set to be delivered 30th Oct. So I’m really looking forward to owners opinions on it for the next month.
I’m really hoping it looks well with my 40mm black link bracelet but if not then I’ll put the bracelet up for sale.
With AC+ it’s going to cost nearly £1000 but I really intend to own this one for the three years of AC warranty.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Why does this surprise you?

supposedly alu is the best seller by far. I would think ti being the new material would have enough stock for launch day being that hardcore apple fans might choose to pick it over ss. I can't image its a demand issue must be a issue with apple not making enough vs ss.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
If you’re worried that complete strangers may think you’re wearing the Aluminum model when it’s really Titanium, then the issue is not with the Watch.
Well, some people really want it to be obvious that they have a BETTER model ... lol.

I do wish the Ti model was polished, though - I don't really care if it looks like the SS when polished, but I've always preferred polished to brushed because polished finishes are really easy to maintain.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well, some people really want it to be obvious that they have a BETTER model ... lol.

I do wish the Ti model was polished, though - I don't really care if it looks like the SS when polished, but I've always preferred polished to brushed because polished finishes are really easy to maintain.
Apple finished it differently at least. SS is polished with a high gloss finish. Aluminum is dull/matte with a porous/textured finish and the Titanium is satin with brushed finish

I mean, how many other ways can you present metal, right? Lol

Agreed about the polished.

Reactions: RiverPhoenixx

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Is Titanium harder and more durable than stainless steel? I care about that more than it looking “slightly less premium” (I think it still looks really good)
[doublepost=1568579128][/doublepost]
What a shame no titanium bands! This does give a good contrast on the SS vs titanium as I believe the link bracelet matches the SS pretty decently. I may be starting to veer back towards a SS AW, have to see them in person. My dream would be simply a brushed SS version.

View attachment 857574

Although interestingly enough the SS looks darker than the link bracelet, just not as dark as the titanium. I've never seen this combo in real life though so not sure how subtle the mismatch is, but it certainly looks more pronounced on the titanium model. 2nd pic below is the SS case.

View attachment 857575
Nomad makes a very nice looking titanium band

https://hellonomad.com/products/titanium-band-black-hardware

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Is Titanium harder and more durable than stainless steel? I care about that more than it looking “slightly less premium” (I think it still looks really good)

Stainless is very durable. Has anyone cracked a stainless AW?

If you’re talking about hardness, scratch-wise, it depends on the titanium and coatings they use.

To be honest, coming from the mechanical watch world, it strikes me as odd that anyone worries about scratches on a watch. That’s part of the character, and I’ve never worried about it on a steel mechanical watch. They usually end up being more valuable being unpolished with scratches all over them. This scratched up watch sold for $17.8 million:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fhylabauer%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F10%2FPaul-Newman-Rolex-Daytona.jpg

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

If you’re talking about hardness, scratch-wise, it depends on the titanium and coatings they use.

To be honest, coming from the mechanical watch world, it strikes me as odd that anyone worries about scratches on a watch. That’s part of the character, and I’ve never worried about it on a steel mechanical watch. They usually end up being more valuable being unpolished with scratches all over them. This scratched up watch sold for $17.8 million:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fhylabauer%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F10%2FPaul-Newman-Rolex-Daytona.jpg
Honestly I’ve only ever had very minor scuffs on the stainless steel watch since I’ve been using them since 2015. I’ve had a space black stainless steel one since February and almost looks brand new just a couple light scuffs. Any differences between the titanium one would probably be negligible.

But it’s lighter, I’m definitely interested in that aspect. If Apple came out with a titanium band, it would be a no brainer for me.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Honestly I’ve only ever had very minor scuffs on the stainless steel watch since I’ve been using them since 2015. I’ve had a space black stainless steel one since February and almost looks brand new just a couple light scuffs. Any differences between the titanium one would probably be negligible.

But it’s lighter, I’m definitely interested in that aspect. If Apple came out with a titanium band, it would be a no brainer for me.

Yeah, I've wanted a brushed stainless model since day one, so the titanium intrigued me, but it doesn't look like it will match well with my links bracelet.

As far as weight is concerned, since it falls right in between the aluminum and steel models, I can't really see a 5g weight difference being very noticeable.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

A watch like that, yes. Looks great beat up. However an Apple Watch is more a piece of tech that requires interaction with the screen. No different than a cell phone that’s scratched and dinged up. Looks like crap.
[doublepost=1568594755][/doublepost]

Titanium is generally lighter and stronger than steel. I believe titanium is weaker when it comes to torsional forces, which are not of concern when it comes to watches.

Reactions: dannyyankou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.