Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
A watch like that, yes. Looks great beat up. However an Apple Watch is more a piece of tech that requires interaction with the screen. No different than a cell phone that’s scratched and dinged up. Looks like crap.
[doublepost=1568594755][/doublepost]
Titanium is generally lighter and stronger than steel. I believe titanium is weaker when it comes to torsional forces, which are not of concern when it comes to watches.

I disagree. I’m still wearing a SS Series 0 on the links bracelet, and, after four years, it has zillions if little scratches all over it, yet it still looks great. It’s really no different than my Rolex watches in that regard. Stainless steel just looks good with some “patina.” Titanium, maybe not. It’s been a common complaint with titanium watches in the past.

Attachments

• 7F9B3B99-48AC-404F-81C3-03700F9B4EA3.jpeg
    7F9B3B99-48AC-404F-81C3-03700F9B4EA3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 622

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Alright, I have some decisions to make. I’ll sleep on it for 48 hours before I decide, lol
I gotta see the Titanium in person before I decide but as of now, I’m leaning towards SS for the sole reason that I prefer the high gloss polished look.
[doublepost=1568602045][/doublepost]
I disagree. I’m still wearing a SS Series 0 on the links bracelet, and, after four years, it has zillions if little scratches all over it, yet it still looks great. It’s really no different than my Rolex watches in that regard. Stainless steel just looks good with some “patina.” Titanium, maybe not. It’s been a common complaint with titanium watches in the past.
Ok, ok, the SS body wears nicely over time, I’ll give you that but I was referring more to the screen. IMO looks terrible with scratches, deep grooves, chips, dings etc.

Reactions: douglasf13

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I gotta see the Titanium in person before I decide but as of now, I’m leaning towards SS for the sole reason that I prefer the high gloss polished look.
[doublepost=1568602045][/doublepost]
Ok, ok, the SS body wears nicely over time, I’ll give you that but I was referring more to the screen. IMO looks terrible with scratches, deep grooves, chips, dings etc.

I agree about the screen.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The screen. That sapphire is tough. Granted, it’s not pure sapphire and instead sapphire-coated glass, but I’ve never gotten scratches.
Ah ok. Yeah, I envy my wife’s scratch free screen on her S4 Hermès. Meanwhile, I got the Aluminum because I case my tech stuff anyway and I regret every minute of it. Got a lot of scratches on my screen edges even with a case and screen protector which I believe was caused by the rubbing from removing and replacing of the cases I use (all soft material by the way)

Next go around is def gonna be a naked SS or Titanium.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Stainless is very durable. Has anyone cracked a stainless AW?

If you’re talking about hardness, scratch-wise, it depends on the titanium and coatings they use.

To be honest, coming from the mechanical watch world, it strikes me as odd that anyone worries about scratches on a watch. That’s part of the character, and I’ve never worried about it on a steel mechanical watch. They usually end up being more valuable being unpolished with scratches all over them. This scratched up watch sold for $17.8 million:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fhylabauer%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F10%2FPaul-Newman-Rolex-Daytona.jpg
Isn’t that Paul Newman’s original Daytona? Beautiful timepiece.

Reactions: douglasf13

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Stainless is very durable. Has anyone cracked a stainless AW?

If you’re talking about hardness, scratch-wise, it depends on the titanium and coatings they use.

To be honest, coming from the mechanical watch world, it strikes me as odd that anyone worries about scratches on a watch. That’s part of the character, and I’ve never worried about it on a steel mechanical watch. They usually end up being more valuable being unpolished with scratches all over them. This scratched up watch sold for $17.8 million:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fhylabauer%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F10%2FPaul-Newman-Rolex-Daytona.jpg

Get out of here with that line of argument.

People are worried about resale. This is disposable tech we're talking about. Scratches screw your resale value. No-one's hoarding a bunch of scratched up AW5's to sell for millions later in life. Or why don't you take your scratched up AW5 and give it to your son when he graduates. Enjoy your dad of the year mug :D

The stuff you read on MR sometimes..

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Get out of here with that line of argument.

People are worried about resale. This is disposable tech we're talking about. Scratches screw your resale value. No-one's hoarding a bunch of scratched up AW5's to sell for millions later in life. Or why don't you take your scratched up AW5 and give it to your son when he graduates. Enjoy your dad of the year mug :D

The stuff you read on MR sometimes..

Aside from the aesthetic worry about getting scratches on a watch, which is what I was referring to above, the only reason to worry about resale is if you're replacing the thing every year, which I'm not doing. Now, I'm replacing my Series 0 with a Series 5, so I'm sure that's outside of the norm at a four year replacement rate, but replacing every other year is quite common. As you say, upgrades every year are killing the planet. :D

Let's say we're talking about an aluminum Series 3 bought two years ago for $399. They're now available new for $199. I'm seeing them go used in great condition for $150, and I'm seeing them go for $89 in relatively bad shape with cracks and scratches. Am I really going to worry daily about scratches on an externally worn device, simply so that I can make an extra $30-$60 in a couple of years? :rolleyes: Granted, the advantage of the steel models is that at least the scratches can be polished out, should someone want to spend the time or money to do so.

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I do agree you cannot compare an AW which is just a piece of disposable electronic equipment to say a SS Daytona. Most people have no interest in Patina on an AW or iPhone etc.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Resale on the Apple Watch is terrible. [...] the only reason to worry about resale is if you're replacing the thing every year

Speaking for myself...

When contemplating the purchase of a piece of technology I simply don't consider anticipated resale amounts. What matters to me is the net cost of today's purchase relative to the increased capabilities I expect to gain.

Setting any personal expectations today for what resale value might be in a year or more is merely setting oneself up for disappointment when the market doesn't do things just how you thought it would.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I do agree you cannot compare an AW which is just a piece of disposable electronic equipment to say a SS Daytona. Most people have no interest in Patina on an AW or iPhone etc.

My point is that there's a special kind of OCD that seems to be prevalent with tech buyers, and we're going to drive ourselves crazy worrying about it on a wrist-worn device. I remember everyone stressing out about getting little micro scratches all over the chrome bezel of the iPhone 3G, and I didn't get that, either. It's like the guy who buys a brand new Jeep and then worries about taking it off-road, because he may scratch the paint. :confused:

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Will these be available in stores on launch day?

Anybody's guess. Chances there will be some. Or maybe not.
71BqyBQVb3L._SY550_.jpg

[doublepost=1568662408][/doublepost]
I sure hope so. Because they are not available online until the middle of November!! Argh.

Last year after deciding I didn't care for the Nike+ S4, I was able to find a SBSS in-store via iStockNow within 2-3 days despire 3+ week lead times for delivery orders. Just need to keep watching for local stock.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I sure hope so. Because they are not available online until the middle of November!! Argh.
I ordered it and it says November delivery, but I’ll go there Friday morning just in case. Then I’ll have to ask myself if it’s worth waiting 2 months just for a titanium case. But Apple usual under promises and over delivers.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What does everything think about number of matching strap options for the titanium vs SS? I have a feeling things won't match as nicely with titanium as SS but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

uttrekr

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Athens, TX
I ordered it and it says November delivery, but I’ll go there Friday morning just in case. Then I’ll have to ask myself if it’s worth waiting 2 months just for a titanium case. But Apple usual under promises and over delivers.

November delivery - arguments about Titanium aside - it must be popular. I got off the fence and pulled the trigger Sunday and got the last week of October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.