Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks, much appreciated. Perhaps I took that wrong and if I did, I apologise. Anyway, I didn’t have much luck, so decided ceramic again. lol

It‘s all good man, I was just interested in the pictures. I know the natural Ti is kinda delicate but I was just wondering if maybe your definition of „scratches“ was different than mine. But these examples you posted I would certainly have returned as well.

@ Relentless Power
Thanks man, you are a very welcome „voice of reason“ in the Apple Watch threads!

Reactions: 44267547

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Here’s hoping Apple returns the space gray ceramic for the Series 6!

I'd love to see ceramic in different colors. I'm kind of tired of black as my last AW was a SBSS, beautiful but I don't see a ceramic black looking much different. I'd love to see a really nice gunmetal grey ceramic, maybe just a tad darker/deeper than the space grey.

Otherwise I have to say I still love my Ti, even with the Achilles heel of it's finish. With that titanium brush I can keep up with any scratches and can verify there are no ill effects, no color changes or other issues other than really fine and almost imperceptible swirling.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I'd love to see ceramic in different colors. I'm kind of tired of black as my last AW was a SBSS, beautiful but I don't see a ceramic black looking much different. I'd love to see a really nice gunmetal grey ceramic, maybe just a tad darker/deeper than the space grey.

Otherwise I have to say I still love my Ti, even with the Achilles heel of it's finish. With that titanium brush I can keep up with any scratches and can verify there are no ill effects, no color changes or other issues other than really fine and almost imperceptible swirling.

I used to have the Series 3 grey ceramic and it was quite nice. However, really enjoying the white ceramic with tan leather loop, just pops. Anyway, enough ceramic talk on here...

Reactions: spinedoc77

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The only advice I could probably Offer after looking at that link you provided, I would _not_ use that ‘Refinishing pad’ on the space black titanium, because it would damage/scuff the DLC coating. But I imagine for the natural finish titanium, that shouldn’t be an issue, aside from removing the fingerprint coating from the factory.

5l4PN1X

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
It’s weird. Because there are three stores in in my region, none of which carried the ceramic Apple Watch Series 4, but now with the Ceramic Series 5, it’s been in stock since the September launch, but only two of the three stores carry the natural titanium, but not the space black Ti. To say the least, Apples allocation process is never consistent, it’s almost like they make it difficult on purpose.
No store carried a ceramic Apple Watch Series 4. The Series 4 was never offered in ceramic.

Reactions: jaytee86

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone provide updates after ~4 months of wear and tear? Any good patina? Any ugly scars?

My natural TI looks the same as the day I got it, according to my eyes at least. It did get a few whacks that don't seem to have left any permanent damage. I hit a painted wall so hard it left paint on it that I just wiped/gently picked off.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
DCF7C06B-1A8D-4700-9677-0DF94CB4B152.jpeg
love the SBTI version. Really like the band that came with it. Nice combo!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Now that everyone has had these for a while how are they holding up?

I’d like to know as well. More specifically, the space black titanium, how the DLC coating is actually sustaining over the course of time, say compared to how the space black stainless DLC coating is almost impervious the scratches. I still opted for the stainless in the past, the titanium might be my next choice if Apple offers it for the Series 6. (The ceramic is nice, but I’m not sure if I want to spend that much on a smart watch given the resale value and how they are released every 12 months.)

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
FWIW, after a few months, my natural titanium is still flawless. Best AW I ever had. It's shiny in a more subtle way than the silver SS and just as versatile wrt using all sorts of straps. Also the weight is perfect, not as heavy as the SS, not as airy as the Aluminum.

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
Mine got two scratches – one on the first day, and then one one week later – but I could easily get both off completely by passing over them with a plastic eraser. Both body and glass flawless for three months now. Love it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine got two scratches – one on the first day, and then one one week later – but I could easily get both off completely by passing over them with a plastic eraser. Both body and glass flawless for three months now. Love it.

like, a plastic eraser off a pencil? That’s a really interesting/easy way of removing the scratches if that’s possible. Just curious what you used specifically, as I think that would be really helpful for others to know, especially if it’s a common household item like a regular eraser, if that’s what I think you’re referring to.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I’ve had my sbti since they came out and pretty reckless with it. I don’t see a single scratch anywhere but not looking for them with a loupe either. Love it!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My natural Ti is holding up well. I’ve bumped it numerous times and any imperfections seem to come off with a tiny bit of light rubbing with a wet cloth.

The only mark I can see is a very small mark that won’t come off right above the connection point where it might be rubbing or something. It’s not noticeable unless you really examine it closely in strong light.

Overall I love it and highly recommend it.

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
Now that everyone has had these for a while how are they holding up?

My SB Ti has held up great. Almost 3 months now and I wear it everywhere. I love the unique grey band and that's the band I wear all the time now.

No scratches and the screen is in perfect condition despite me accidentally hitting it against the door frame hard. Twice.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
It's interesting to hear so many people with the natural titanium no scratches. I've had made since launch day and I've got a few marks along the device. In all honesty though, after a few weeks of ownership, I stopped caring. The watch still looks great and IMO provides a more premium look than the aluminum without the flash of the SS.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Natural Ti here. One slight scratch on the bottom, but you can only see it in bright sunlight. And a small ding on the top. I could try to buff it out with one of the numerous ways mentioned but never remember to do so. In other words, they are so minor that I don't notice unless I look hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.