Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nchiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2021
Dallas, TX, USA
61D5594C-7B23-43AB-9435-D74256A5A579.jpeg
4B1C963F-5E28-4020-AB08-ED12A583C48F.jpeg
102771CB-CE69-4330-AE26-1E6067734797.jpeg

Mine broke after 9 months of regular use (off/on once a day to charge), and AppleCare refused to care.
I get that it’s a physical part that will get daily wear and tear, but Apple sport bands I’ve had in the past at least offer a couple years of use before the glue holding the metal nub gives out (which I think is reasonable), but the solo loop breaking in less than a year and AppleCare not covering it is disappointing/wrong.
When I went to replace it, I thought $50 for another Apple brand solo loop that will give me 9 months of use, or a solo loop knock off from a big box retail site (albeit cheaper quality, less perfect fit) at $15 for a 2 pack? At that rate, as long as each of these bands lasts at least a month and a half, they will have out performed Apple's solo loop.
Also convenient how Apple sells them exclusively and doesn't let customers leave reviews for products (and how they remove negative Yelp reviews)...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
There have been other threads on this forum with the same issue. I would try to go to an Apple store in person and see if you can find a sympathetic employee that will exchange it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The band breaking isn't what I'd consider normal wear and tear.

Stretching, color fade, sure. Something like the above? Nope. Apple should replace that since it should still be covered under 1 year warranty.

Bandream

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021
United States
That's definitely a defect, not a problem in design. Notice where it tore, it was right by the connecting metal where the silicone is thinnest. I don't think the silicone used in the batch that made your band was mixed right.

For what it's worth, I've had to get 2 bands replaced by Apple. One was just for little dots of dust i could see in the fluoroelastomer. They replaced both with no questions asked.

Try contacting them again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.