Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I currently have an iPhone XS Max, Space Grey, 512GB, and it works just fine, 94% battery capacity according to the battery health section in settings, no issues at all, has AppleCare+ renewed, monthly, so I can just cancel it if I want too. Now I'm intrigued by the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, I like the new design, currently I have my XS Max in a custom 49ers case that I got from Fanatics I think, could have been shop49ers.com, can't remember, but basically same place, since all the merch between Fanatics, NFL Shop, & shop49ers are the same inventory, anyway, I like the new design, I never had an iPhone 4 or 5, or the SE, I started off in April the year after the 6/6+ launched, got the 6+(had the 6 for 3 days, had serious issues with my eyes, nausea, and headaches, so took back to get the 6+).

I absolutely love the bigger iPhone's, and 6.7 Inches is a great size IMO, I love my 6.5 Inch XS Max, but I love the idea of the extra .2 Inches, maybe not as noticeable to some, but maybe it will be to me.

Anyway, the only things that are keeping me from purchasing one is the fact that the XS Max is basically flawless, I don't take much pictures, and I wished Apple made a 1TB iPhone, cause I fill up my XS Max, with movies and tv shows, and music.

I know the new chip in it is likely much faster than the one in the XS Max, and battery life is probably better.

So I'm really on the fence about this, I originally said I'd wait till 2021 to see what Apple brings out, but I'm now 50/50, if it was in 1TB it'd be a no brainer. But idk if it's a good idea, especially if they do bring out a 1TB iPhone in 2021, I'd either keep the 12 Pro Max or give it back and get the new 2021 Pro Max, I've never traded an iPhone back in, I've always kept it for the 2 yrs on financing, I know AT&T doesn't do ATT Next Every Year unless you pay $5 a month.

Anyway, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Trying to decide myself also!

I have an 8+ that has 83% battery health. The battery is annoying me, and I barely make it through the day. I know I could just get a new battery. Everything works pretty well. I definitely do not like the fact that I would be giving up touch ID. I work in schools and have to have my face mask on all day.

I'm in South Dallas and wonder if I would see the benefits of 5g. I'm sure the camera would be better, but to my untrained eyes, would the pics really be that much better?

Hopefully I can make up my mind in about 5 days haha.

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If your phone is working great why not wait. There are rumors a 1tb might come next year. I’m holding out for a 120hz screen.
Yeah, even though I'm 50/50, mainly due to seeing the new iPhone's in videos on YouTube, and boy do they look amazing, I'm leaning towards waiting a year, but still on the fence.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Trying to decide myself also!

I have an 8+ that has 83% battery health. The battery is annoying me, and I barely make it through the day. I know I could just get a new battery. Everything works pretty well. I definitely do not like the fact that I would be giving up touch ID. I work in schools and have to have my face mask on all day.

I'm in South Dallas and wonder if I would see the benefits of 5g. I'm sure the camera would be better, but to my untrained eyes, would the pics really be that much better?

Hopefully I can make up my mind in about 5 days haha.
Same here Lol.

I forgot about 5G, meant to add that, having 5G would be nice, but I've heard ATT's LTE is faster than their 5G, I apparently have 5G in my area, not sure if it's true 5G or that 5Ge.

Reactions: maverick22

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
Yeah, even though I'm 50/50, mainly due to seeing the new iPhone's in videos on YouTube, and boy do they look amazing, I'm leaning towards waiting a year, but still on the fence.
If you are on at&t they have a sweet deal on trade ins this year. By next year you would have paid off the Max I think. Id.go for it. Or choose from the other three but mainly the 12 pro

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
Same here Lol.

I forgot about 5G, meant to add that, having 5G would be nice, but I've heard ATT's LTE is faster than their 5G, I apparently have 5G in my area, not sure if it's true 5G or that 5Ge.
I dont kmow about their low band 5g but their 5g+ is nice if its in your city and you can find it. They don't have any info on it but what cities like mine that should have it. Im just glad Verizon came to my city after the iphones launched with low band and UWB here :) At&t is of no help if a customer wants to know where they can experience 5g+ .it's pathetic

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I currently have an iPhone XS Max, Space Grey, 512GB, and it works just fine, 94% battery capacity according to the battery health section in settings, no issues at all, has AppleCare+ renewed, monthly, so I can just cancel it if I want too. Now I'm intrigued by the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, I like the new design, currently I have my XS Max in a custom 49ers case that I got from Fanatics I think, could have been shop49ers.com, can't remember, but basically same place, since all the merch between Fanatics, NFL Shop, & shop49ers are the same inventory, anyway, I like the new design, I never had an iPhone 4 or 5, or the SE, I started off in April the year after the 6/6+ launched, got the 6+(had the 6 for 3 days, had serious issues with my eyes, nausea, and headaches, so took back to get the 6+).

I absolutely love the bigger iPhone's, and 6.7 Inches is a great size IMO, I love my 6.5 Inch XS Max, but I love the idea of the extra .2 Inches, maybe not as noticeable to some, but maybe it will be to me.

Anyway, the only things that are keeping me from purchasing one is the fact that the XS Max is basically flawless, I don't take much pictures, and I wished Apple made a 1TB iPhone, cause I fill up my XS Max, with movies and tv shows, and music.

I know the new chip in it is likely much faster than the one in the XS Max, and battery life is probably better.

So I'm really on the fence about this, I originally said I'd wait till 2021 to see what Apple brings out, but I'm now 50/50, if it was in 1TB it'd be a no brainer. But idk if it's a good idea, especially if they do bring out a 1TB iPhone in 2021, I'd either keep the 12 Pro Max or give it back and get the new 2021 Pro Max, I've never traded an iPhone back in, I've always kept it for the 2 yrs on financing, I know AT&T doesn't do ATT Next Every Year unless you pay $5 a month.

What do you normally do with your old iPhones?

AT&T has a trade-in promo. You can get $700 off a 12 Pro Max but that’s only if you give them your XS Max and the credits are for 30 months. If you upgrade before the 30 months you will need to pay off whatever remains due on the 12 Pro Max.

I think we will see a 1 TB iPhone next year. If that’s really important to you, then I would just wait a year.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If you are on at&t they have a sweet deal on trade ins this year. By next year you would have paid off the Max I think. Id.go for it. Or choose from the other three but mainly the 12 pro
My current XS Max is paid off, last payment was in October, so it's been a little over 2yrs, I'm just hesitant due to possibility off a 1TB Pro Max in 2021. I hate paying 12 months and then sending it back.

I dont kmow about their low band 5g but their 5g+ is nice if its in your city and you can find it. They don't have any info on it but what cities like mine that should have it. Im just glad Verizon came to my city after the iphones launched with low band and UWB here :) At&t is of no help if a customer wants to know where they can experience 5g+ .it's pathetic

Yeah, ATT's pretty useless with that, I like them though, I have DIRECTV, so I get discounts, even though I shouldn't, cause I had the older Unlimited Plus, upgraded to Unlimited Elite, still have the $15 off my DTV. Plus they've been great to us, we had some financial issues early on, they let us make payment arrangements, now all caught up. Plus they've let me do numerous Next Plans with them, that's how I got my new (PRODUCT) RED Apple Watch Series 6 Lol.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019

AT&T has a trade-in promo. You can get $700 off a 12 Pro Max but that’s only if you give them your XS Max and the credits are for 30 months. If you upgrade before the 30 months you will need to pay off whatever remains due on the 12 Pro Max.

I think we will see a 1 TB iPhone next year. If that’s really important to you, then I would just wait a year.

What phones qualify for the trade in? The XR?? could loyalty department sweeten the deal?

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

I usually just hand them down to my Mom or Sister, but they just got XS's last month.

If that's the case on the trade in, no way I could afford to pay it off to trade in, I don't make much, on Disability, so I get a set amount each month. If anything, I'd just buy the Pro Max at retail price on ATT Next with the $5 a month to upgrade if I wanted too. But I'm leaning towards sticking with my XS Max, 94% capacity on battery health, no issues, no scratches, or cracks, been in a case since day 1, glass screen protector since day 1.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I usually just hand them down to my Mom or Sister, but they just got XS's last month.

If that's the case on the trade in, no way I could afford to pay it off to trade in, I don't make much, on Disability, so I get a set amount each month. If anything, I'd just buy the Pro Max at retail price on ATT Next with the $5 a month to upgrade if I wanted too. But I'm leaning towards sticking with my XS Max, 94% capacity on battery health, no issues, no scratches, or cracks, been in a case since day 1, glass screen protector since day 1.
Yeah I’d just keep your XS Max honestly. Maybe get the 13 Pro Max next year in 1 TB. ?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
A77251EE-777A-4440-8DBA-9C8667E18105.jpeg 72941F93-5324-41D1-862F-3E823F94954F.jpeg

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
What phones qualify for the trade in? The XR?? could loyalty department sweeten the deal?
iPhone 8 and up qualifies for the trade in deal. It's $800 in credits for the 12 or 12 Pro and $700 for the 12 Pro Max.
iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, iPhone 7, 7 Plus, SE (2nd gen) you get $350.

Last edited:

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
If you put your iPhone in a case then the new design is worthless.
All right people let’s keep making this point ad nauseam about putting on a case and the color, design, not mattering. I’m a special kid because I actually take mine outside the case when I’m at home and I actually enjoy the feel, look, and color of it. Yes it happens! especially for me since I get the Apple leather cases with the cut out at the bottom, I always slip the case off and on because it’s not in a vault like otter box. I only buy cases that I can easily take off without struggling.

Reactions: baking soda

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
2021 will only get us an upgraded iPhone 12 S version.. Same design with some internal upgrades.
2022 will most likely give us a new design

So you probably regret buying it in 21 when they release an all new phone the year after.
I would either buy the 12 now or wait until 22

Reactions: Lwii2boo

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
2021 will only get us an upgraded iPhone 12 S version.. Same design with some internal upgrades.
2022 will most likely give us a new design

So you probably regret buying it in 21 when they release an all new phone the year after.
I would either buy the 12 now or wait until 22
New how so? You mean portless? if so, I'd rather go for the 2021 iPhone if it has a lightning port and 1TB.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017

If you are unsure, don't !
The 'kick' of a new phone lasts for hours (days at best).

The mantra should be to preserve cash!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.