Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you wait, the biggest upgrades are probably going to be Mini-LED screen, and a more energy efficient 5G-capable modem.

I have an XR, and can wait. My wife owns the original iPhone SE (SE 1.5, after Apple did a quiet upgrade of the storage options). My phone is around 2 years old. My wife’s is 3.5 years.

I actually want to trade my XR in and buy the 12 Mini, but if the Mini came with a better 5G modem, then it may actually become useful as a 5G phone. Right now though, I don’t know. Maybe, but possibly not.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If you wait, the biggest upgrades are probably going to be Mini-LED screen, and a more energy efficient 5G-capable modem.

I have an XR, and can wait. My wife owns the original iPhone SE (SE 1.5, after Apple did a quiet upgrade of the storage options). My phone is around 2 years old. My wife’s is 3.5 years.

I actually want to trade my XR in and buy the 12 Mini, but if the Mini came with a better 5G modem, then it may actually become useful as a 5G phone. Right now though, I don’t know. Maybe, but possibly not.
I don't quite understand the 5G Modems, is it Intel or Qualcomm? Wasn't apple working on their own, or did they partner with someone, I thought I read that a while back, might have been something totally different though, was like a year or so ago after the 11 was announced.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’m pretty sure it’s all Qualcomm. The issue is that Apple isn’t using the newest, and more energy efficient, 5G modem that they make due to the time of its release (early 2020), and Apple’s long development and testing process didn’t allow for new hardware to be introduced.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I currently have an iPhone XS Max, Space Grey, 512GB, and it works just fine, 94% battery capacity according to the battery health section in settings, no issues at all, has AppleCare+ renewed, monthly, so I can just cancel it if I want too. Now I'm intrigued by the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, I like the new design, currently I have my XS Max in a custom 49ers case that I got from Fanatics I think, could have been shop49ers.com, can't remember, but basically same place, since all the merch between Fanatics, NFL Shop, & shop49ers are the same inventory, anyway, I like the new design, I never had an iPhone 4 or 5, or the SE, I started off in April the year after the 6/6+ launched, got the 6+(had the 6 for 3 days, had serious issues with my eyes, nausea, and headaches, so took back to get the 6+).

I absolutely love the bigger iPhone's, and 6.7 Inches is a great size IMO, I love my 6.5 Inch XS Max, but I love the idea of the extra .2 Inches, maybe not as noticeable to some, but maybe it will be to me.

Anyway, the only things that are keeping me from purchasing one is the fact that the XS Max is basically flawless, I don't take much pictures, and I wished Apple made a 1TB iPhone, cause I fill up my XS Max, with movies and tv shows, and music.

I know the new chip in it is likely much faster than the one in the XS Max, and battery life is probably better.

So I'm really on the fence about this, I originally said I'd wait till 2021 to see what Apple brings out, but I'm now 50/50, if it was in 1TB it'd be a no brainer. But idk if it's a good idea, especially if they do bring out a 1TB iPhone in 2021, I'd either keep the 12 Pro Max or give it back and get the new 2021 Pro Max, I've never traded an iPhone back in, I've always kept it for the 2 yrs on financing, I know AT&T doesn't do ATT Next Every Year unless you pay $5 a month.

Anyway, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
An option to consider is going with the IUP and having the choice to upgrade for next year’s release after 12 months or continue making payments until paid off. Since your phone is paid off, sell or trade in to Apple.

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 8+ and I’m upgrading this Friday to the iPhone 12 Pro Max. It doesn’t matter if it’s Touch ID or Face ID, since I work at a school and majority of the time have disposable gloves on.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I hate paying 12 months and then sending it back.

Why? Something such as the iPhone Upgrade program eliminates this big debate. If you think the next phone is underwhelming then keep paying payments on the phone you already have and you'll eventually own it. If the next phone is amazing it's easy to upgrade and keep paying the payments that you're used to.

An option to consider is going with the IUP and having the choice to upgrade for next year’s release after 12 months or continue making payments until paid off. Since your phone is paid off, sell or trade in to Apple.

Exactly. Either option of keeping the phone and eventually owning it or upgrading is easy once you decide.

Reactions: beach bum

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If you don't severely crave the better battery and cameras, don't upgrade. I'm with Xs Max too and I don't feel like upgrading even next year, I'm waiting for major features to be compiled so that when I upgrade it will be well worth it (it's not for now)

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I don’t think that’s true at all. The phone feels different in your hand, and even in a case it looks different. You can still appreciate the design with a case on

What’s there to appreciate? It’s a screen. With a notch. Looks the same in a case as any prior phone. This has always been the case pretty much lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DanTSX and alpi123

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
What’s there to appreciate? It’s a screen. With a notch. Looks the same in a case as any prior phone. This has always been the case pretty much lol.

I disagree. The phone feels different. You can see the difference after using a phone for a whole year and then changing.

Reactions: Otflyer

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
All right people let’s keep making this point ad nauseam about putting on a case and the color, design, not mattering. I’m a special kid because I actually take mine outside the case when I’m at home and I actually enjoy the feel, look, and color of it. Yes it happens! especially for me since I get the Apple leather cases with the cut out at the bottom, I always slip the case off and on because it’s not in a vault like otter box. I only buy cases that I can easily take off without struggling.

That sounds bizarre. It’s just a phone dude. When I’m home it goes on charger and I don’t even think about it.

Reactions: DanTSX

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I disagree. The phone feels different. You can see the difference after using a phone for a whole year and then changing.

Ok. If you say so. It’s just a phone. Spend hundreds upgrading. It feels different. Lol.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
If your phone is working great why not wait. There are rumors a 1tb might come next year. I’m holding out for a 120hz screen.
So many have hopes of a 120 Hz iPhone. I have the 2018 iPad Pro with 120 Hz and just got the 12 Pro iPhone 60 Hz. I don’t notice any difference in screen refresh rate going back and forth from IPad to iPhone. Maybe it’s just the way I use my device’s.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Yup. Design wise, if in a case, it’s the same thing until they remove the notch.

There are cases for the 11 and older with flat sides if that’s what you want.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I also came from an XS Max that was nearly flawless except for a crackling speaker that I was too lazy to go get checked out. I now have the 12 Pro which I will be returning for the 12 Pro Max but its definitely a nice upgrade. The new design is great (even in a case), the Pacific blue color is beautiful, noticeable difference in camera quality, night mode and ultra wide are awesome and with the Qualcomm modems I get much better signal in areas that struggled before so for me its worth it so I say go for it especially if you can get a good trade in deal.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
That sounds bizarre. It’s just a phone dude. When I’m home it goes on charger and I don’t even think about it.
Notice how no one reacted to your post? The people who post on macrumors are usually enthusiasts who see a smartphone and other tech products as a multifaceted assistance to their life and a means to an end. Some enjoy the aesthetics of their precision milled products like my 12 pro in gold that looks and feels like a piece of jewelry. I’m surprised that as much as you have posted on these forums that you would have a boring bland outlook. That’s fine for you but why deflate other people from the enjoyment of these devices? It’s almost as if you’ve just wasted your time here or spent too much time here that you’ve reached the point of becoming a party pooper.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Ok. If you say so. It’s just a phone. Spend hundreds upgrading. It feels different. Lol.
You could be a good counselor for my brother in law who practically buys a new Porsche almost every couple years. Just tell him this, dude it’s just a car! It has 4 wheels that roll on the ground like any other car! It drives different? Dude! It’s all in your mind. And then throw in a couple of lol’s afterwards for good effect

• Haha
Reactions: doboy

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
So many have hopes of a 120 Hz iPhone. I have the 2018 iPad Pro with 120 Hz and just got the 12 Pro iPhone 60 Hz. I don’t notice any difference in screen refresh rate going back and forth from IPad to iPhone. Maybe it’s just the way I use my device’s.
I want butter-smooth frames when I'm doom scrolling.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
I also came from an XS Max that was nearly flawless except for a crackling speaker that I was too lazy to go get checked out. I now have the 12 Pro which I will be returning for the 12 Pro Max but its definitely a nice upgrade. The new design is great (even in a case), the Pacific blue color is beautiful, noticeable difference in camera quality, night mode and ultra wide are awesome and with the Qualcomm modems I get much better signal in areas that struggled before so for me its worth it so I say go for it especially if you can get a good trade in deal.
Why are you returning your 12 Pro for 12 Pro Max? What is the trigger? Thx

Reactions: G5isAlive

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Why are you returning your 12 Pro for 12 Pro Max? What is the trigger? Thx
I just miss the bigger screen. I thought I wanted to downsize but after having the XS Max for 2 years I guess I’m just too used to it. Also I would like better battery life because the 12 Pro is just average.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
We probably won’t see 5G in the Capital district for a while.
Yeah, sucks for sure, I saw 5G on their site, but knew it was 5Ge.

I can't do the iUP, I don't have great credit, made some mistakes in the past, paying off debt through a debt relief program. Plus I think you need a credit card, I asked them when they introduced it if I could use my debit card that had the CC logo on it, they said no, unless they changed things.

Reactions: nybear31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.