Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Just realized that I have a doctors appointment on the 13th(man I hate Friday the 13th's, except the movies Lol), might be holding off till 2021 if/when they add 1TB to the lineup, wonder if it'd be either 128GB/256GB/1TB option, or 128GB/512GB/1TB options, or if they may finally go to 4 options, 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
My X is still working nicely.
I‘ll order a 12 Pro Max 256 Gold this Friday, but I‘m not sure I can justify 1.6k€ (incl. AC+) for basically the same phone. I know it‘s much more powerful. I know it has better cameras.

But it‘s still basically the same phone.

My wife still has a 7, and when I asked her if she wants my X when I get the 12 Pro, she just said „whatever...“.

iPhones have been brilliant since the A10, and are still running nicely.

Reactions: Crazyj414

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Same boat I have my XsMax 256 in mint condition. Battery @ 100% due to a apple care trade( no cost) due to a Bluetooth issue. Went to check out the 12 pro for a color choice for the max. Left store a little underwhelmed. I did the glossy silver (white) glass on my XsMax vs the 12 Pro frosted mate glass. I was only considering it for the generous ATT trade in on my max.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Well the new phones are going to be the design for the next 3 or so years so I'd say go for it. Performance, display, materials, aesthetic, cameras are all A1. I'd say go for this year's Pro Max and check back in 2 years.

Reactions: G5isAlive

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I didn’t see you mention taking photos. So if the camera improvements aren’t that interesting to you I would wait. The 1 TB rumored for next year sounds more valuable to you. I believe the XS offered a bump in storage to 512 GB. So if Apple keeps with that pattern we should see 1 TB next year. There isn’t a wrong choice so just enjoy the possibilities.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Notice how no one reacted to your post? The people who post on macrumors are usually enthusiasts who see a smartphone and other tech products as a multifaceted assistance to their life and a means to an end. Some enjoy the aesthetics of their precision milled products like my 12 pro in gold that looks and feels like a piece of jewelry. I’m surprised that as much as you have posted on these forums that you would have a boring bland outlook. That’s fine for you but why deflate other people from the enjoyment of these devices? It’s almost as if you’ve just wasted your time here or spent too much time here that you’ve reached the point of becoming a party pooper.
This years iPhone 12 feels more premium compared to other years, I definitely seconds the idea that it’s like jewelry. Apple did a great design. I know it’s a rehash of the iPhone 4 and 5 but it’s top that and more.

Reactions: beach bum

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Agreed - two days for me. Returned the 12 Pro, back on 11 PM.

I almost did the same thing, but just this morning it clicked for me. I don’t know what it was, but it just did. This become what you iPhone 5s was. That was my favorite iPhone to date. Mine 11 pro wasn’t the max, so not a huge difference in size, but the size change was perfect. I don’t know, but I am starting to absolutely love this 12 pro.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Is the holiday return policy now in effect? Meaning purchases now can be returned through January.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Every day it seems my decision is changing...Currently have the 11 PM which is fine but have always upgraded every year. This is the first time where its even been a question of whether or not its worth it. I guess I have two days to figure it out.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I'm still on contract for another 15 months lol.. but even if I wasn't.. I don't think I would get the 12 for two possible reasons:

1. I'm still content with my phone. Sure its not the newest, but its still good.
2. I'm not sure the 12 is worth it. I think the phone that I want is the one that comes after the 12, since this new/old design will be with us for a few gens, I'm assuming. I usually buy the S models anyways..

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
it’s not financially sensical to upgrade from XS Max to 12 (any) when the XS Max is covering all your needs - with exception of 1TB storage.

You’re better off waiting for the 2021 iPhones - as in, you’ll get more bang for your buck in your upgrade next year.

The 12 models will keep you happy. It just doesn’t make much sense for your situation.

Reactions: JUCJ85

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Honestly don't waste your money upgrading from what you have. You would be spending a lot of money for VERY little improvement. No 120Hz screen, MagSafe is not particularly impressive, Plus 5G is in its infancy. I have an iPhone 11 Pro and I couldn't bring myself to WASTE 1K, I even considered going to the max to justify the change. At the end of the day though its just not worth it for me. Maybe next year if there is anything noteworthy. Instead I spent 1K on a SS Apple Watch with SS link bracelet so Apple still got my money :)

Reactions: JUCJ85

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Trying to decide myself also!

I'm sure the camera would be better, but to my untrained eyes, would the pics really be that much better?

The biggest change you would notice is in low light level shots... night time, or in the shadows, really cloudy days lol. Apple has done a lot of work to improve on low light level shots. Stabilization is also better but whether that is important to your use case, again low light, or moving while taking shots. Other improvements might be more subtle to you.

Reactions: maverick22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.