Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Holy smokes, they disappeared pretty quick!

Actually, lol I got to the site and realized after I had selected it to buy, and was about to check out, that I had just purchased an Apogee Duet as part of a recording package from a friend. It's more than enough for my needs. Thank you! I'm not sure what I would have done with it once I got it home though. I can't believe they make such amazing sounding components for such low prices and in they're in So Cal at that. I thought I'd need one for recording libe fifs, but the Apogee has that covered so well. Any other suggestions from things you own by them?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Actually, lol I got to the site and realized after I had selected it to buy, and was about to check out, that I had just purchased an Apogee Duet as part of a recording package from a friend. It's more than enough for my needs. Thank you! I'm not sure what I would have done with it once I got it home though. I can't believe they make such amazing sounding components for such low prices and in they're in So Cal at that. I thought I'd need one for recording libe fifs, but the Apogee has that covered so well. Any other suggestions from things you own by them?

Hey! Back from a fun, family trip :)

Everything they make reviews really well, I love the physical design, materials, I like they're a small business in Cali, easily communicated with, etc.

Nothing really specifically, I do want to score a Loki, it's a small desktop EQ, same footprint as the Modi/Magni/Vali, so stacks nicely on the desktop.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Hey! Back from a fun, family trip :)

Everything they make reviews really well, I love the physical design, materials, I like they're a small business in Cali, easily communicated with, etc.

Nothing really specifically, I do want to score a Loki, it's a small desktop EQ, same footprint as the Modi/Magni/Vali, so stacks nicely on the desktop.

Schiit just came out with two new Magni amps.

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh a quick FYI ...

On MacOS when you're using an external DAC, you lose global system based volume control, meaning you're controlling volume at the amp (standalone, speakers). You can intercept the stream, encode it with a different volume value, and then pass that to the DAC, there's a couple of "hacks" to do this, but they've involved two different apps, one of which hasn't been updated for years.

So the single, up-to-date, install and it works is Sound Control by Static Z Software, It's a paid app, so I'm currently using the 14 day free trial, and so far, so good, clean install, adds a menu item for control, and ... tada! My global volume control via my Das Keyboard control knob works again! Is it worth $11.99 (with a discount code)? Maybe. Probably? We'll see :p

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Hi Ya'll. I just wanted to let you know, For a nice lil' Christmas surprise, (not). I was watching Santana Live at Montreux (2011), through my Schiit Magni 3 driving my Yamaha HS8's, and a low hum began in my left speaker, then quickly became much louder, then the smell of smoke and burning electronics. The Magni Burned up on me!!!

I was shocked, given all they talk about their protection, but being a tech myself since 1978, somethings just go down on their own, without any reason other than the elements they were put together with, but a 2 year warranty is fantastic, so I'll be sending it back tomorrow, and picking up a couple new items just because they're so darn inexpensive, I can't help myself:). Thank you all for turning me on to this company, they're so amazing.

Question. Does anyone here have the Vidar Amplifier? It seems like a great fit for my L Series JBL Studio Monitors.

Happy Holidays to everyone, may you get every lil' thang' you dreamed of!

• Sad
Reactions: HeadphoneAddict
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.