Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
This question has not been asked. Okay if I were to buy a new SD Card for either Mr. Powershot or Canon Vixia is there a way to transfer all the current media back to the card? I have almost 2 hours of video on my Vixia, and 400 shots on my Powershot. I might think of upgrading the SD cards since memory is so dirt cheap right now. I like being able to view the media when I am alone with Canons on the field or on a trip and not being limited to MacBook Pro thanks.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Card readers make this a fast and easy operation.

With that said, SD cards(and really any kind of small removable media like this) aren't a great idea for long-term storage. You're far better off to copy the contents of them to your computer/an external hard drive/cloud storage then format the card(in camera).

Just the act of reading the card on your computer CAN corrupt the file system, and IMO transferring over is asking for trouble. Many of us are very particular about our card handling for this reason. When I pull the photos from one particular project off the card, I then format it(usually I back the card up 2-3 different ways, but that's a different discussion) and file it away to be cycled around again. Just to be sure, I often format the card in-camera as soon as I stick it in.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Card readers make this a fast and easy operation.

With that said, SD cards(and really any kind of small removable media like this) aren't a great idea for long-term storage. You're far better off to copy the contents of them to your computer/an external hard drive/cloud storage then format the card(in camera).

Just the act of reading the card on your computer CAN corrupt the file system, and IMO transferring over is asking for trouble. Many of us are very particular about our card handling for this reason. When I pull the photos from one particular project off the card, I then format it(usually I back the card up 2-3 different ways, but that's a different discussion) and file it away to be cycled around again. Just to be sure, I often format the card in-camera as soon as I stick it in.
Can what I am asking about be done or not? Want the same contents on a new SD card just more storage. I don’t read the card on my computer as I use USB cable instead.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Can what I am asking about be done or not? Want the same contents on a new SD card just more storage. I don’t read the card on my computer as I use USB cable instead.
I told you how to do it. Use a card reader.

Yes it’s still a bad idea however, but I don’t see how to do it without one considering that cameras will no longer mount as a readable/writable volume like older Nikons would

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I told you how to do it. Use a card reader.

Yes it’s still a bad idea however, but I don’t see how to do it without one considering that cameras will no longer mount as a readable/writable volume like older Nikons would
But how do I know the new SD card would read in the same camera if I mounted on the computer? I want to avoid computer mounting so perhaps there is no SAFE way to do what I ask.

I use a USB cable and this is not the same as a card reader.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
But how do I know the new SD card would read in the same camera if I mounted on the computer? I want to avoid computer mounting so perhaps there is no SAFE way to do what I ask.

I use a USB cable and this is not the same as a card reader.
Format the new card in camera and it will work.

If you refuse to use a card reader then no, you can not do it. If you’re willing to put aside your seeming unwillingness to use a card reader, you can do it.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal

If you refuse to use a card reader then no, you can not do it. If you’re willing to put aside your seeming unwillingness to use a card reader, you can do it.
Follow what bunnspecial said, Format the new SD cards in camera first so the cameras can set up folders and all that. Then just copy your videos/photos into the same folders the original SD had them in. You will not be able to just do this in camera because 1. you would at least a dual card slot and 2. the camera to have an option do copy from one SD card to another within the camera settings which for sure wouldn't be there unless you had dual slots or internal memory in the camera.

Reactions: Clix Pix

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you have a spare unused SD card, you can do some trials.

First, put the unused card in your camera and format it there. This is to ensure that the camera will be able to read it. The logic behind this is that the camera should be able to correctly read and write any card it's able to format. If it can't format it, then maybe there's a problem with the brand of the card, or its capacity. Some older cameras will balk when given very large cards. Basically, there were no such cards in existence when the camera was made, so they don't know how to deal with the unexpected capacity.

Second, if you have something other than the camera that will read and write cards, you can remove the card from the camera, put it in the other device, and see what happens. As a test, shoot a couple of photos on the newly formatted card, so you have something to look at in the other device.

If you don't have anything else that will read SD cards, then your only option is to try reading and writing to the card while it's in the camera, connected to your computer. Do this on the spare card, not the card that has important images on it. You'll basically need to read the instructions on how to write things from a computer to your camera, or just look it up in the camera manual (or camera software manual) to see if that's possible. It might need specialized software, i.e. something other than Image Capture. The Canon website has manuals for cameras and software.

Once you've written something to the SD card from the computer, unplug the cable and see if you can review the images using just the camera. If it works, you can try more images, or maybe some movies instead of still images. Basically, if you want to review something in the camera, upload it from the computer and see what happens. Since it's all happening on the spare SD card, you can't hurt anything.

It's entirely possible that there's no way to write images to the in-camera SD card using just the computer. It depends on the camera and the software. Find out by looking on the Canon website.

If there isn't any way to write to the camera, then the only option is an SD card reader. I have a Transcend model from years ago that still works great. It's easy to find them on Amazon or other vendors, and they are not expensive.

If you have an SD card reader for the computer, then you should always slide the write-protect tab on the SD card to the NO-WRITE position before putting the card in the card reader. Although not entirely fool-proof, this will prevent things like Spotlight indexing from happening, because macOS will not normally try to index read-only media.

In general, cameras require a certain structure of folders and files in order for the content to be reviewable in the camera. You will need to maintain that structure, including following naming conventions, if you expect to transfer files for in-camera review. In other words, whatever the original structure of files and folders is, maintain that exactly, and it should be readable in-camera.

If you aren't sure whether you're correctly maintaining the structure, then do a trial run with your spare SD card. If it works, great, you've confirmed what works. If it doesn't work, then you should explain exactly what you did, and folks here may be able to suggest other things to try.

If you don't have any spare SD cards at all, then it might be prudent to look in your camera's manual and find out what the largest capacity card is that was recommended at the time. Buy one of those, or something smaller.

I strongly suggest working through several trials with a spare unused SD card before attempting anything with a card containing valuable data. Always practice on something safe. Oh, and take notes on what works and what doesn't work.

FWIW, this is the same strategy as one would use when writing any storage media M on any digital device D. If it's a USB tape drive on a Raspberry Pi, or a CF card connected to an iPad, work things through with spare storage media, and try things to see what happens.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Follow what bunnspecial said, Format the new SD cards in camera first so the cameras can set up folders and all that. Then just copy your videos/photos into the same folders the original SD had them in. You will not be able to just do this in camera because 1. you would at least a dual card slot and 2. the camera to have an option do copy from one SD card to another within the camera settings which for sure wouldn't be there unless you had dual slots or internal memory in the camera.
A question. Will my Canon Vixia which I bought in 2018 recognize a 128 or 256GB memory card?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

I may have to buy one for this task.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
A question. Will my Canon Vixia which I bought in 2018 recognize a 128 or 256GB memory card?
Here's what I did.

I searched on just the keywords canon vixia, and more than a dozen different model numbers appeared. Here's Canon's list:

It's unclear exactly which models were available in 2018, or if more than one was available, which one you bought. You should probably look at your unit, write down the exact model number, and search for that specific model.

Once you have it narrowed down to a specific model, you can download the user manual from the Canon website. Or maybe the specifications list for your model will have that info.

Each of the various SD specs (SDHC, SDXC, etc.) have a range of supported capacities. Sometimes cameras are able to do better, but not always.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Here's what I did.

I searched on just the keywords canon vixia, and more than a dozen different model numbers appeared. Here's Canon's list:

It's unclear exactly which models were available in 2018, or if more than one was available, which one you bought. You should probably look at your unit, write down the exact model number, and search for that specific model.

Once you have it narrowed down to a specific model, you can download the user manual from the Canon website. Or maybe the specifications list for your model will have that info.

Each of the various SD specs (SDHC, SDXC, etc.) have a range of supported capacities. Sometimes cameras are able to do better, but not always.
HFR800. I have the manual but it says 64GB. But then again I got the camera in 2018 when 64GB was the standard so I have no idea if it will accept a 256GB card.

It says nothing about larger SD cards being accepted.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
HFR800. I have the manual but it says 64GB. But then again I got the camera in 2018 when 64GB was the standard so I have no idea if it will accept a 256GB card.

It says nothing about larger SD cards being accepted.
Did you check the link?

When I visit the link you provided and scroll down, I see an expandable item that says:
Record Video Directly to a Removable SD Memory Card

When I expand it, I see this:
sd.png

If I then download the user manual, it also says that SDXC cards are supported.

From the Wikipedia link I provided above, SDXC is listed as a min of 32GB and a max of 2TB.
2TB is identical to the "2048 GB" shown in the screenshot above.

The user manual also lists some speed classes for SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. You should look at those, too.

Rather than relying on a possibly outdated manual, you should download the latest manual and use that.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Did you check the link?

When I visit the link you provided and scroll down, I see an expandable item that says:
Record Video Directly to a Removable SD Memory Card

When I expand it, I see this:
View attachment 2000560

If I then download the user manual, it also says that SDXC cards are supported.

From the Wikipedia link I provided above, SDXC is listed as a min of 32GB and a max of 2TB. 2TB is identical to the "2048 GB" shown in the screenshot above.

The user manual also lists some speed classes for SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. You should look at those, too.

Rather than relying on a possibly outdated manual, you should download the latest manual and use that.
Wow I did not know this. I overlooked it. If it will take 2TB then it will take 256GB thank you sir!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The main thing I did was to carefully read the current specs, once you'd identified the exact model.

If the original manual mentions SDXC at all, then it would logically follow that SDXC capacities would work, unless it specifically says otherwise. I have no way of looking in the original manual, so maybe you can check that.

Looking only at the SD/SDHC/SDXC table of min and max capacities on Wikipedia, SDHC tops out at 32GB. That means anything more than 32GB would have to be SDXC, so if 64GB is listed in the original manual, it could only be an SDXC card.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The main thing I did was to carefully read the current specs, once you'd identified the exact model.

If the original manual mentions SDXC at all, then it would logically follow that SDXC capacities would work, unless it specifically says otherwise. I have no way of looking in the original manual, so maybe you can check that.

Looking only at the SD/SDHC/SDXC table of min and max capacities on Wikipedia, SDHC tops out at 32GB. That means anything more than 32GB would have to be SDXC, so if 64GB is listed in the original manual, it could only be an SDXC card.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 6.24.47 PM.png

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Yes its nice to be able to use this Camcorder with a 57X zoom (something phones lack), has a battery that lasts a long long time, and will, not overheat in sunlight conditions.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Looked at the SD cards in my Canons.

Vixia is using SDXC and Powershot SDHC.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Looked at the SD cards in my Canons.

Vixia is using SDXC and Powershot SDHC.
All that tells you is what card is in there now. It doesn't tell you what the highest capacity is.

For example, the Vixia will work with SDHC cards. So if it had an SDHC card in it, you might jump to the conclusion that SDHC is the max capacity. This would be an error.

If you want to find what the max for the Powershot is, apply the same process as for the Vixia.
Be sure to employ current data and careful reading.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
All that tells you is what card is in there now. It doesn't tell you what the highest capacity is.

For example, the Vixia will work with SDHC cards. So if it had an SDHC card in it, you might jump to the conclusion that SDHC is the max capacity. This would be an error.

If you want to find what the max for the Powershot is, apply the same process as for the Vixia.
Be sure to employ current data and careful reading.
SDXC cards will fit both the Powershot and Vixia. Its just my Sony Voice recorder that can only accept SDHC cards (32GB). I did look at the manual for all three devices.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As mentioned above:
Get a USB card reader.
Very handy to have.
They're cheap, too.

You DO NOT want to keep your photos & videos "on an SD card" (on a permanent basis).
SD cards can be an unreliable place on which to store things. Sometimes, they will just "go bad" and lose everything (but that's true of all drives).

You want to keep you data on the computer or connected drive (to the computer).
And you also want A BACKUP DRIVE (two backups are better) for the primary storage drive.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As mentioned above:
Get a USB card reader.
Very handy to have.
They're cheap, too.

You DO NOT want to keep your photos & videos "on an SD card" (on a permanent basis).
SD cards can be an unreliable place on which to store things. Sometimes, they will just "go bad" and lose everything (but that's true of all drives).

And you also want A BACKUP DRIVE (two backups are better) for the primary storage drive.
I have two backups of my media.

Reactions: Fishrrman

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I think the OP is way over thinking this one. He has multiple back-ups. Use a new card for current stuff, if he wants to view old material from that camera simply swap in the old card, then swap back once he's done that.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I think the OP is way over thinking this one. He has multiple back-ups. Use a new card for current stuff, if he wants to view old material from that camera simply swap in the old card, then swap back once he's done that.
I can’t buy a 256GB card and move the old files from the 64GB card to it and view them on Vixia with new card? I like viewing video on camcorder so I can view on TV with HDMI.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As mentioned above:
Get a USB card reader.
Very handy to have.
They're cheap, too.

I like being able to view media with HDMI on big TV screen over puny laptop screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.