Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I like being able to view media with HDMI on big TV screen over puny laptop screen.
It is possible to connect your laptop to the TV. IIRC, don't you have a 2020 MBP? The pre-touchbar retina MBPs(2012-2015) had HDMI ports on them, as do the current 14" and 16"

If so, https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-Pixelbook-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07THJGZ9Z

That's the first I found on Amazon, but I'm sure there are others at different price points if you hunt around including the official Apple one. A lot of USB-C docks also have HDMI out-I have a cheap one in my office that does, and I drive a second monitor off it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It is possible to connect your laptop to the TV. IIRC, don't you have a 2020 MBP? The pre-touchbar retina MBPs(2012-2015) had HDMI ports on them, as do the current 14" and 16"

If so, https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-Pixelbook-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07THJGZ9Z

That's the first I found on Amazon, but I'm sure there are others at different price points if you hunt around including the official Apple one. A lot of USB-C docks also have HDMI out-I have a cheap one in my office that does, and I drive a second monitor off it.
Nah just use the camera it’s cheaper.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

But yes my signature says 2020 MBP.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

Just presenting an alternative.

SD cards are NOT intended for long term storage. They tend to not be rated for a lot of read-write cycles the way storage installed in computers or intended for semi-permanent use with them(like in external HDDs/SSDs) is.

Regularly accessing the storage on your camera or camcorder to play it back on your TV is a recipe for failure of the card and/or corruption of the specific file. Maybe you can do it 500 times and it will be fine, but it could just as easily happen the first or second time. And, again, even if the card is fine, repeatedly accessing it for playback can easily corrupt it.

There's a reason why many of us have specific processes for card handling, and why those processes are often designed for the camera to write the file, the computer to read and copy it, and then hand the camera a "blank slate" the next time the card is used.

Aside from that, if you ever have any reason to use your computer for a Powerpoint presentation or whatever, having a means of connecting this is invaluable.

Last thing-your signature says you have an Apple TV. If your videos are saved on your computer(since you mentioned having them backed up) can you not Airplay them to your Apple TV?

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

SD cards are NOT intended for long term storage. They tend to not be rated for a lot of read-write cycles the way storage installed in computers or intended for semi-permanent use with them(like in external HDDs/SSDs) is.

Regularly accessing the storage on your camera or camcorder to play it back on your TV is a recipe for failure of the card and/or corruption of the specific file. Maybe you can do it 500 times and it will be fine, but it could just as easily happen the first or second time. And, again, even if the card is fine, repeatedly accessing it for playback can easily corrupt it.

There's a reason why many of us have specific processes for card handling, and why those processes are often designed for the camera to write the file, the computer to read and copy it, and then hand the camera a "blank slate" the next time the card is used.

Aside from that, if you ever have any reason to use your computer for a Powerpoint presentation or whatever, having a means of connecting this is invaluable.

Last thing-your signature says you have an Apple TV. If your videos are saved on your computer(since you mentioned having them backed up) can you not Airplay them to your Apple TV?
Yes the Appletv takes the place of an HDMI cable. I have my media backed up so not worried about the card going corrupt. If it happens it happens. I won’t lose the files. My photos and videos are all on my computer.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I can’t buy a 256GB card and move the old files from the 64GB card to it and view them on Vixia with new card? I like viewing video on camcorder so I can view on TV with HDMI.
Suppose you bought a 256GB card. How do you propose to write files to that card, unless you also buy an SD card reader that connects to your computer?

Suppose you also bought an SD card reader. Now you have to read the 64GB card and write to the 256GB card, while maintaining the exact structure of the original card. That means copying the 64GB card while it's connected to the computer, in a way that preserves the exact structure, so you can eject the 64GB card, insert the 256GB card, and finish copying things over.

Disk Utility can certainly do this copying, using a disk-image file as the interim storage. Maybe Finder could it, just by copying the 64GB "disk" to your Desktop, then copying the resulting folder after you swap cards in the SD card reader. I've definitely done a Finder copy of files to an SD card, and they were reviewable in my camera, so it's not impossible, but you'll probably need to do some planning and some testing.

Unless your plan includes a way to write files to the 256GB card, I don't see how only buying the card will be enough.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Suppose you bought a 256GB card. How do you propose to write files to that card, unless you also buy an SD card reader that connects to your computer?

Suppose you also bought an SD card reader. Now you have to read the 64GB card and write to the 256GB card, while maintaining the exact structure of the original card. That means copying the 64GB card while it's connected to the computer, in a way that preserves the exact structure, so you can eject the 64GB card, insert the 256GB card, and finish copying things over.

Disk Utility can certainly do this copying, using a disk-image file as the interim storage. Maybe Finder could it, just by copying the 64GB "disk" to your Desktop, then copying the resulting folder after you swap cards in the SD card reader. I've definitely done a Finder copy of files to an SD card, and they were reviewable in my camera, so it's not impossible, but you'll probably need to do some planning and some testing.

Unless your plan includes a way to write files to the 256GB card, I don't see how only buying the card will be enough.
If its gonna be that complex I may just keep my 64GB card as it may not work anyways, or I have to do some tests which will require me buying more than one SD card. I guess when my 64GB card is filled with video then I need to buy a new card which cannot view the old files.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

According to a google search SD cards last 10 years with normal usage. I have had my SD card in my Vixia for 4 years so I am a long ways away from it going bad.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If its gonna be that complex I may just keep my 64GB card as it may not work anyways, or I have to do some tests which will require me buying more than one SD card. I guess when my 64GB card is filled with video then I need to buy a new card which cannot view the old files.
Can you clarify which parts you consider complex?

From the beginning, multiple people said that you'd need an SD card reader to connect to your computer. Is that something you consider complex?

You were also told that you'd need to have the correct format on the SD card, and the correct structure of files and folders. The correct format can be obtained by formatting the card in your camera. Others posted that step. In my first post I outlined how you could test the card, and possibly write to the camera. That could be seen as complex, but only when compared to using an SD card reader. Anyway, that was post #8, so nothing has changed from then to now; trying to do it without a card reader will definitely be complex. The rest of what I wrote in post #8 still holds true.

After that point, you focused on whether a 256GB card would work in the camera or not. After getting sufficient details (i.e. model number and specs), a careful reading of the camera specs strongly suggest that an SDXC card is very likely to work in your Vixia. However, you didn't acknowledge when I pointed out that the Vixia needs certain card speeds, so you might want to review the user manual for those details before any card purchase.

You still seem to be focused on the card itself, rather than on the process as a whole.

One crucial step in the process is, and always has been, writing the existing media files to the new card. Without a card reader, or without software that can upload files directly to your camera, I really don't see any alternatives.

It boils down to simple logic: you need to somehow write files to the new card. Absent that, you're stuck.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Can you clarify which parts you consider complex?

From the beginning, multiple people said that you'd need an SD card reader to connect to your computer. Is that something you consider complex?

You were also told that you'd need to have the correct format on the SD card, and the correct structure of files and folders. The correct format can be obtained by formatting the card in your camera. Others posted that step. In my first post I outlined how you could test the card, and possibly write to the camera. That could be seen as complex, but only when compared to using an SD card reader. Anyway, that was post #8, so nothing has changed from then to now; trying to do it without a card reader will definitely be complex. The rest of what I wrote in post #8 still holds true.

After that point, you focused on whether a 256GB card would work in the camera or not. After getting sufficient details (i.e. model number and specs), a careful reading of the camera specs strongly suggest that an SDXC card is very likely to work in your Vixia. However, you didn't acknowledge when I pointed out that the Vixia needs certain card speeds, so you might want to review the user manual for those details before any card purchase.

You still seem to be focused on the card itself, rather than on the process as a whole.

One crucial step in the process is, and always has been, writing the existing media files to the new card. Without a card reader, or without software that can upload files directly to your camera, I really don't see any alternatives.

It boils down to simple logic: you need to somehow write files to the new card. Absent that, you're stuck.

When I do this I will yes need to buy a SD Card reader. I thought that SD cards would die easily, however a google search showed that they normally last 10 years. I am not yet full with video but the day will come when I will be and by then I need to buy a SD card reader and do this transfer. Perhaps its not as complicated as I made it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
When I do this I will yes need to buy a SD Card reader. I thought that SD cards would die easily, however a google search showed that they normally last 10 years. I am not yet full with video but the day will come when I will be and by then I need to buy a SD card reader and do this transfer. Perhaps its not as complicated as I made it.
This is one advantage of practicing with a spare unused card. You can do things with it that don't risk any files on important cards. In other words, you can learn how things work with little or no risk of losing data. Familiarity dispels much initial complexity.

A lot of things appear complex when written out in complete detail.

As an exercise, try writing out the complete list of every step you perform when you pull images off your camera. Include every step, including things like plugging the USB cable into each device, exactly where to plug it in, what kind of cable to use, and so on. Do the same thing with the software you use. Write it as if you're telling someone who's never used a Mac before. You'll need details on how to locate the software, how to launch it, what to do next, what to try if the camera doesn't appear, and so on.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I like being able to view media with HDMI on big TV screen over puny laptop screen.
You can display from your laptop to TV on HDMI OR if it is a smart TV or you have an AppleTV or firestick, you can screen cast / airplay to the tv from it.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

What about this one with an HDMI output AND USB ports AND card reader built in. Ticks all the boxes for you

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
You can display from your laptop to TV on HDMI OR if it is a smart TV or you have an AppleTV or firestick, you can screen cast / airplay to the tv from it.
Even though I can screencast I still prefer using the HDMI cable on Vixia or Powershot when I need to view on TV.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
What about this one with an HDMI output AND USB ports AND card reader built in. Ticks all the boxes for you

Hmm… I do need a SD card reader especially for my security camera which takes micro cards. Perhaps I should put this on my to buy list. Cheaper than buying the apple adapters.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes its nice to be able to use this Camcorder with a 57X zoom (something phones lack), has a battery that lasts a long long time, and will, not overheat in sunlight conditions.
Is 57x digital zoom or all optical? It seems way to high for that model.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Is 57x digital zoom or all optical? It seems way to high for that model.
Referring to the PDF manual available here ("Manuals" button):

On page 212 is [Zoom Type]. For the "three types of zoom" it shows [32x Optical], [57x Advanced], and [1140x Digital].

My interpretation of that info, absent any other details, is that it probably has a 32x optical zoom, and "Advanced" is some kind of composite of optical and digital. If it actually had 57x optical zoom, why wouldn't the "Optical" type be 57x?

The PDF has a password, so I can't copy the descriptive text out, and I'm too lazy to type it in again.

The sensor has 1920x1080 resolution, see pp. 268-269.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

On page 212 is [Zoom Type]. For the "three types of zoom" it shows [32x Optical], [57x Advanced], and [1140x Digital].

My interpretation of that info, absent any other details, is that it probably has a 32x optical zoom, and "Advanced" is some kind of composite of optical and digital. If it actually had 57x optical zoom, why wouldn't the "Optical" type be 57x?

The PDF has a password, so I can't copy the descriptive text out, and I'm too lazy to type it in again.

Good camera as I use it all the time.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

That's what I'm thinking as well. What is 32x in 32mm equivalent.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I was gonna buy a card reader but changed my mind. Google says my SD cards should last 10 years with normal usage so I have a long time before cards go bad. I also have more than 6 hours of video to shoot with Vixia before card runs out at FULL HD setting.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I was gonna buy a card reader but changed my mind. Google says my SD cards should last 10 years with normal usage so I have a long time before cards go bad. I also have more than 6 hours of video to shoot with Vixia before card runs out at FULL HD setting.
I thought you only have a 64 gb card? At full HD that is only 4 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.