Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
No it was more like 8 hours. My camera is set to FULL HD and I have shot 2 hours of video in 4 years. I have 6 hours left.
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 11.22.47 AM.png

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
MiniDV is still a digital format and there is nothing wrong with it. It just takes longer to import. The video quality is more about the codec you use and not the hardware. Sure newer sensors look better but the detail is in the amount of compression in the raw data.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
MiniDV is still a digital format and there is nothing wrong with it. It just takes longer to import. The video quality is more about the codec you use and not the hardware. Sure newer sensors look better but the detail is in the amount of compression in the raw data.

I had mini DV for a long time, but before that I used VHS-C for also a long time.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I had mini DV for a long time, but before that I used VHS-C for also a long time.
VHS-C was a horrible Frankenstein standard that's only purpose was to be compatible with VCR's

Hi-8 was a better format but Sony locked in down like they do most everything else they own.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
VHS-C was a horrible Frankenstein standard that's only purpose was to be compatible with VCR's

Hi-8 was a better format but Sony locked in down like they do most everything else they own.
Yes when I upgraded to mini DV I saw the difference. But even my own HD based camcorder is much better than mini DV.

That camcorder no longer reads tapes. It did have a memory slot for taking photos. 128MB sd card.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes when I upgraded to mini DV I saw the difference. But even my own HD based camcorder is much better than mini DV.

That camcorder no longer reads tapes. It did have a memory slot for taking photos. 128MB sd card.
The media format doesn’t matter. It’s the sensor. A $70,000 camera using DV tape will look better than a cheap camera using solid state memory.

Reactions: jwolf6589

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There are so called stand alone card duplicators available that may do the trick. The ones I've happened to see can do 10 copies at a time and cost $500+. Some, I think, will adjust to duplicating smaller sized SD card to larger size, but not sure about special formats off hand.

I've had SD cards in prosumer video and outdoor field cameras that last forever, 10 year old cameras with their original cards. These are good quality Lexar or SanDisk brands. I don't think I've ever had a problem. Lower quality cards seem do not be robust enough and can fail without warning.

Those that like belts and suspenders will change cards often and use multiple cameras. I found infant mortality to be more frustrating with that card replace approach, however.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Wow people seem to get pretty heated about things.

Short answer, as I'm sure you've deduced, is yes you can do it, you may need to put files in a place the camera recognizes it, and you might risk file/card corruption. Proceed as you see fit.

Do you have iCloud storage? Seems like it would be an overall better experience to view on your phone versus the camera, and more convenient to Airplay from your phone versus Mac.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Wow people seem to get pretty heated about things.

Short answer, as I'm sure you've deduced, is yes you can do it, you may need to put files in a place the camera recognizes it, and you might risk file/card corruption. Proceed as you see fit.

Do you have iCloud storage? Seems like it would be an overall better experience to view on your phone versus the camera, and more convenient to Airplay from your phone versus Mac.
I’d airplay if I was going from Mac to TV. But appletv has the photos app which I use often to view photos and videos on large TV. However the problem with the phone is that it overheats in hot sun and battery does not last as long as Canon. Also Powershot display is better in direct sunlight over iPhone screen.

StephanieSy

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2021
I want to move my videos back to my phone but the problem is there is no settings of moving videos from sd card back to the phone

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There are a couple ways to do that. You can use AirDrop or iTunes I think. There is also iCloud drive where you can sync your photos library over several devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.