Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Im not sure what you mean in the first part. But I went ahead and used the Erase option and formattted it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Sounds like progress. Notice the GUID Partition Map is selected. The Journaled option is unnecessary.

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 4.30.20 PM.png

Notice that this partition is below the device. You want to choose the device, most likely, rather than the existing partition on the device.

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 4.29.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 4.29.48 PM.png

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
My next question. How do I download Snow Leapord from the link you posted to the computer. There are 4 different download tabs and I dont want to press the wrong one and screw it all up.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
You will want download #2. Use the www link so it will download directly from their server rather than through to***nts etc. Download it onto the MacBook Air then follow the instructions to make a bootable drive.

There will be some differences in the guide and the Mac that you're using because much of the interface has changed recently but if you look around and read options or use the "Help" in the menu bar to type out keywords, you should be able to connect the dots.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Cool its all downloading now. Ill come back with an update or if I have anymore questions for you. Appreciate the help so far man.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Okay lmao im back with another question. I know you said i could connect the dots but I cant for this one. On the website directions is saying there should be a destination and a source box. But all I see is a restore from box.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 84

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
That's one of those changes that makes it confusing switching from old to new UI.

Read the text in that modal window you posted. It says "__ will be erased and replaced with data from the volume below". So the "__" is the destination and the "restore from" field with the pull-down menu would be the source.

Read and double-read before you proceed so you don't have a major oopsie.

If your downloaded Snow Leopard .dmg isn't available in the menu in Disk Utility, just double-click the .dmg to mount it. It will mount as if a drive that is plugged in.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Still giving me error codes

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 88

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I think usually you should "scan image for restore". I think that's the last hurdle and Google will be the quickest help.

I've had such dodgy luck with images. Sometimes it requires a few extra steps and I can't begin to understand what causes these discrepancies.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Newer versions of macOS Disk Utility aren't going to work with these older .DMG files. You're going to need a copy of belanaEtcher or similar program to copy the DMG to external storage.

It works. I just did it.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Can I use that link on my windows computer or does it still need to be on mac to get the file onto the flash drive

Edit: dumb question

Last edited:

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
So after using that link I plugged the drive back into my iMac now this is what im seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 68

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
To boot to a USB drive, you hold Option while booting. This should bring up several drive options. Don't forget to use the Snow Leopard Disk Utility to completely delete the hard drive including that restore partition.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You're all turned around and upside down. You can't boot from an "update" image. Read the previous posts, download Snow Leopard, create a SL USB installer, boot from it, install it, and live your life. If you want to install macOS Catalina, download that installer, create a Catalina USB installer, boot from it, install it, and live your life.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
You're all turned around and upside down. You can't boot from an "update" image. Read the previous posts, download Snow Leopard, create a SL USB installer, boot from it, install it, and live your life. If you want to install macOS Catalina, download that installer, create a Catalina USB installer, boot from it, install it, and live your life.
So I have the choice to install either or? Im sorry im trying to learn the best I can hear and everyones help is greatly apppriciated.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
An update is an addition to an existing install. An installer is a complete system for installing on a blank partition.

It would appear your El Cap is some sort of updater but the SL is a complete system so you are proceeding correctly if you hold Option while starting and find the Snow Leopard installer as an option.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Okay so what im going to do because obviously I did something wrong with the USB. Plug it in. Go to the website where I download Snow Leopard. Download it. Use Balena. Than plug the drive into the back of the iMac. Am i missing any steps. I dont know why im having such a hard time doing this.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Don't you already have Snow Leopard downloaded?

Yes, you use the suggested app to restore the SL .dmg to the USB drive with the Mac OS Extended format using a GUID Partition Map.

Plug it into the iMac. As soon as you press the Power button, hold the Option key on the keyboard until disk icons appear on the display.

Choose the installer that is most likely to be the Snow Leopard image. It isn't always clear, as it may just say "Mac OS X Installer" or whatever but that's the goal.

Once booted into the SL installer, use the Disk Utility to wipe the whole internal HD. Then proceed to the SL Installer.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
when i add snow leopard to that app this error comes up.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 73

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Okay so I have snow leopard installed on the Macbook air already so Im going to go in and reformat the usb and all that and try again.

Shattered68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
Well i finally did the drive right, plugged it in powered it on to the boot screen. Clicked Mac OS X Installer, it spun for 10 minutes than turned off and won’t turn back on… Piece of junk…..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.