Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Nice, but what's that red dot upper left. Is that Mars?

i'm pretty certain it's just lens flare from the lighthouse
[automerge]1570112992[/automerge]
If this is night mode, why are there shadows? Night mode does not use a flash.

there was a light source to the left (headlights). the flash wouldn't make it that far lol the lighthouse is like 100 yards away on a small island.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK

there was a light source to the left (headlights). the flash wouldn't make it that far lol the lighthouse is like 100 yards away on a small island.
It is Lens Flare. Look at the red arc coming off the lighthouse. It cuts perfectly at 0 degree running up and along the line. The red dot is then the extremity of the Lens Flare cutting point.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
It is Lens Flare. Look at the red arc coming off the lighthouse. It cuts perfectly at 0 degree running up and along the line. The red dot is then the extremity of the Lens Flare cutting point.

yeah i solved the image with astrometry.net and then checked sky safari - there's no bright red star there.

had to chop off the lighthouse since it wouldn't solve with the rocks and stuff in the field; the star extractor thought there were a bunch of extraneous stars all in the rocks...

Reactions: Beards

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Ok thanks, I thought, maybe, you captured the red planet, or some meteor. Very cool photo by the way.

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I have a few night mode shots as well that have those lens flare artifacts.... is it normal to have those?

bether

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2016
Wow! Really great night sky photos made by iPhone 11 pro. I did photo of Orion constellation by iPhone XR.
20A8FFF2-4A94-49D7-B829-7EE07DCEDF97.jpeg

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
It’s ok, but you still can’t focus on the moon...just a big hazy ball in the sky. Still need a DSLR.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It’s ok, but you still can’t focus on the moon...just a big hazy ball in the sky. Still need a DSLR.

I noticed that as well. You would think that the various lunar features visible even with the naked eye would give the Focus pixels something to lock on to. My guess is that the Moon’s magnitude, set against the completely black background causes the issue.

Reactions: akash.nu

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Handheld or on a tripod? Interesting that you were able to do this with the branches in the frame. Focus on infinity?
Handheld... Press & Hold the sky as near as you can to the Moon until you see AE/AF Lock appear at the top of the screen. Then let go and quickly repress on the exposure control and drag it right down until the moon no longer shines bright. Now you have AE/AF Lock and Exposure set..... Take the shot, job done. 👍

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I’m going up north to Payson Arizona today camping, there’s some spectacular views of the stars.

Is there any thing I should know before I take these photos that I have to do to the camera settings?

I would truly appreciate it.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’m going up north to Payson Arizona today camping, there’s some spectacular views of the stars.

Is there any thing I should know before I take these photos that I have to do to the camera settings?

I would truly appreciate it.
Honestly just having a tripod of any quality will do you the most justice. No matter how steady the hands, the phone can detect the slightest movement which will decrease the exposure time. With the tripod, you can manually slide the exposure time to a maximum 30 seconds which will make a difference.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
So I took my hand at trying some Astrophotography pictures while I was up north this weekend.

The moon was full and very bright I don’t think my pictures came out as good as it could have. Seems the moons light over exposed things. You can even see the reflection of the moon on the leaves, making some tress look like a Christmas tree.

I’m still impressed that these are pictures taken in complete darkness with an iPhone camera none the less.

205DF60B-E03A-41D9-BB43-198D98D10589.jpeg
E853DFE2-57E3-4543-800A-14FAE83C47EF.jpeg

This one was just a three second shot straight up in the air holding it by hand.

7215ACE2-5C36-425E-8CEC-4FA927D912EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
So I took my hand at trying some Astrophotography pictures while I was up north this weekend.

The moon was full and very bright I don’t think my pictures came out as good as it could have. Seems the moons light over exposed things. You can even see the reflection of the moon on the leaves, making some tress look like a Christmas tree.

I’m still impressed that these are pictures taken in complete darkness with an iPhone camera none the less.

View attachment 869237
You nailed it with this one... but what happened to the EXIF data?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Not even close to shots made buy guys earlier in this tread, but nevertheless I am really impressed with iPhone night shots (fire on the first shot is just my cigar, that I was smoking in the time of making shot, accidentally did get in shot).
View attachment 865896 View attachment 865898
Thanks for warning about cigar. Though it was a gamma ray burst heading our way. Was already kissing my kister goodby.

Reactions: AbhiAchShan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.