Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Does the iPhone 11 have this ? Or just the pro?
I have the XR so gonna download the nightcap app.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
374d6121e0b7fb98e0c3adda29ee2c71.plist

This was handheld while watching a penguin parade in Australia.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
has anyone checked out "milkycam" on the app store? it's an alignment and stacking program. the UI is super awful but it does work. i haven't figured out all the settings cause it is kind of a mess. but i did make a halfway decent image of orion.

that other star might be a planet, i think they are all kind of lined up by venus right now. could be jupiter.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Taken with my iPhone 11 Pro Max in Sedona, Arizona (a dark sky community; we were there for the Perseid meteor shower, among other things) a couple of months ago. I just propped the phone up against a flashlight and set Night Mode to 30 seconds. Aquila at the top. Saturn and Jupiter to left of center. Sagittarius and the center of the Milky Way Galaxy just above pine tree at bottom. Tail of Scorpius to right of that, with open clusters M6 and M7 barely visible. I may have to actually buy a tripod...

IMG_4963.jpg

Last edited:

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
WOW! Beautiful photos. This makes me excited for the 12 Pro Max. And somewhere where I can find a moderately dark sky outside of Phoenix. I have a small flexible tripod (Gorillapod style) I could set on top of the car to test with. I'd love to tinker with some astrophotography.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Wow, the lack of noise is incredible. I assume this is straight out of camera, no real other post processing?

Straight out of camera is a lot more grayish in the skies and stars aren’t as bright due to gray sky noise.
Just the Vivid cool filter to keep the skies blue and increased contrast, and brightness to make the stars pop without sacrificing the natural color temperature of the moonlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.