Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Who the heck uses wechat or Alipay in the US other than Chinese tourists?
People who buys stuff from AliExpress, that would be one.

If you go to Asian market, you can directly pay with Chinese Yuan with AliExpress.

You can get paid for ads if you publish videos on Chinese social media or video sites like YouTube alternatives.

Chinese Americans or Chinese international students paying each other back for outings or bring things from the US to China or the other way around.

Reactions: MrJeffreyGee

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, the NYSE just said "nah, we won't delist Chinese business in response to Trump's execute order. So there's no guarantee this new ban will actually be enforced.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
But then you have this....so who knows what to believe?

It's not just social media that's destroying generations, universities are responsible, as are the lame stream media.
I believe this is created by Steve Bannon and a Trump supporting Chinese billionaire

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
81,283,485 can all agree Trump is the worst thing to happen to America. I can’t wait for his Twitter to be deleted after he leaves office. Biden will roll back this order just like the others dealing with idiocy and petty ness
Sure, because people vote based on what's in your head. Not a Trump fan (but because people who dislike him make such ridiculous statements I sometimes play one on TV) but if not for CV19 he would have cruised to an easy reelection on the heels of the best economy in ages. But thats not what happened. An elected president who helped make ground breaking peace deals in the Middle East is unlikely to rank among the worst things to happen in the US for very few Americans outside the small group which lost their minds over a 1990s Democrat being elected in 2016.

Also the Supreme Court has made it harder to role back executive orders so now all of them can be litigated. So, it may not be so easy in the future.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Conspiracy theorists spin anything they can into their favour. You'd think there is a mass cult following an orange man in a certain part of the world...... ?
I know my fellow Americans have empathy when they call their opponents cultists. Its a reminder of how we all love our neighbors and treat their differing views with respect. Thanks for restoring my faith in the public.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
China should be cut off from the rest of the world. They are disgusting. I used to live there for 8 years, and they are more disgusting than you can imagine.
I am taking it you accidently ate gutter oil and got sick like me? I love the people I've met there absolutely hate the government though. If mainland China was like Taiwan in an alternate history scenario the world woud be a better place.

Reactions: Cleartz

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
I am taking it you accidently ate gutter oil and got sick like me? I love the people I've met there absolutely hate the government though. If mainland China was like Taiwan in an alternate history scenario the world woud be a better place.
That's how I read his comment, nothing to do with being a racist, rather more that the government are disgusting - which they are, nothing more than dictators.

You've got to love how so many people are quick to call "racist". That word has lost all meaning as it's being thrown around like confetti.

Reactions: Cleartz

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
But then you have this....so who knows what to believe?

It's not just social media that's destroying generations, universities are responsible, as are the lame stream media.
The NY Post is basically the US equivalent of the British Daily Mail.

Both are gutter trash rags.

It might be "mainstream", but it's utter garbage and design to numb the brains of their readers.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
First link says
"Just in case you don't know. Dr Montagnier has been rolling downhill incredibly fast in the last few years. From baselessly defending homeopathy to becoming an antivaxxer. Whatever he says, just don't believe him,"

Did some googling, turns out, it's true. He's gone off to the deep end:
"Montagnier is promoting wild theories with little scientific basis, and now he is taking advantage of vulnerable parents (see his appeal here) to push a therapy of long-term antibiotic treatment for autistic children."
"Montagnier hasn't been able to publish this in a proper journal, for a very good reason: it's nonsense. He claims that quantum field theory - an area of physics in which he has no qualifications - explains how electromagnetic waves emanating from DNA can explain not only autism, but also Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, Lyme disease, and rheumatoid arthritis"

I can't find any info of the doctor in the second link.

I'm going to file this under "BS" until someone more credible says otherwise.
While all very interesting points, I can’t see how this has to do with WeChat being banned in the US anymore ?

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Huh? As far as I understand this, this is only banning US companies to not use those Chinese-backed payment systems. How many US retailers actually support Wechat Pay/AliPay? And what does this have to do with Chinese Americans communicating with Chinese citizens?

Think other businesses other than your local CVS. My company uses those types of payment systems (in addition to the normal payment choices) because we do business with China, and they are prevalent there. If you want a piece of the pie you need to offer those options for your customers.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
The NY Post is basically the US equivalent of the British Daily Mail.

Both are gutter trash rags.

It might be "mainstream", but it's utter garbage and design to numb the brains of their readers.
Aren't they all - the guardian is the worst ever for this - hence my comment that you can't rely on what the lame stream media wish to tell you - in order to get to the truth you have to go on an adventure and get the full picture from the horses mouth, otherwise you are just given the writer of the articles point of view, and what they want you to believe.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
why does the transition from one president to the next take so long in the US? It gives them way too much time to be like SCREW YOU before leaving the office.
It took a poor loser with a power complex to test the Constitution in ways never seen before in the history of the US.
Hopefully, some amendments will be made that will disallow future poor losers / power-hungry dictators to pull the same crap.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yeah, but how many of them are the walking dead, and how many of them had their vote flipped, or didn't vote in the first place?

Unless the truth comes out with regards to this whole election mess, I can see years of unrest - it needs to be resolved one way or the other.

Do you think Biden would be interested in investigating all the evidence if he gets in?
What "truth" would actually make people happy? The truth is no evidence of tampering or fraud has been found. The burden of proof is on those that are claiming there is fraud. 60 court cases have shown there is no fraud.

The facts are, if people are told often enough the sky is green and grass is blue, then pretty soon a sufficient number of people who can't think for themselves will believe it.

Maybe we should go back to the 2016 election and claim it was fraudulent?

EDIT: Actually there has been election fraud. It was attempted by Trump on his phone call to GA Sec of State, trying to strong-arm him into "finding" 11,780 votes to flip the vote there. That is actual evidence that you can't dispute.

Last edited:

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'm not stuck in my ways - for the record, I don't like Trump - but I also don't like the media who are using the situation to their advantage - I want the truth and I think that people deserve the respect not to be lied to by the lame stream media.

What is really pissing me off is the amount of misinformation that is being presented as factual - I don't really care that much if Biden wins, as long as he won fair and square - like I say, I think we all deserve to be told the truth, and this whole voter fraud situation bothers me as the amount of evidence that is being refused to be investigated thoroughly is concerning.

The way I look at it, why wouldn't you allow a controlled and thorough investigation if you have nothing to hide - surely you would welcome it so you could make your accusers look foolish and proven wrong?
Because no amount of investigation would change the minds of Trump followers. Any investigation that didn't go in Trumps favor would be classified as fraudulent or "rigged". The sad fact is, even Trump appointed judges have disallowed lawsuits based on lack of evidence, but even that is not good enough.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
What "truth" would actually make people happy? The truth is no evidence of tampering or fraud has been found. The burden of proof is on those that are claiming there is fraud. 60 court cases have shown there is no fraud.

The facts are, if people are told often enough the sky is green and grass is blue, then pretty soon a sufficient number of people who can't think for themselves will believe it.

Maybe we should go back to the 2016 election and claim it was fraudulent?

EDIT: Actually there has been election fraud. It was attempted by Trump on his phone call to GA Sec of State, trying to strong-arm him into "finding" 11,780 votes to flip the vote there. That is actual evidence that you can't dispute.
I wonder what those muppets think about the latest numbers from Georgia? They stole the elections the second time? :rolleyes:?

• Haha
Reactions: alfonsog

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
why does the transition from one president to the next take so long in the US? It gives them way too much time to be like SCREW YOU before leaving the office.
The inauguration actually use to be in May (or maybe March, can't quite remember). It was moved forward to January 20th back in the 1800s

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
"Signs Executive Order." Of course, because actually rolling up your sleeves and legislating is just too hard.

Good riddance, Creamsicle.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Do you think Biden would be interested in investigating all the evidence if he gets in?
Are you really that naive? The election was decided two months ago. Out of fifty-plus lawsuits Trump’s minions have filed, they've only won what, one? two? - one that that merely said that they could have observers stand a bit closer, and another that disallowed a handful of provisional ballots.

In front of the courthouses (and all over conservative “news” outlets) they loudly proclaim fraud, but when they go inside the courtroom, where lying has consequences, they never allege fraud.

Today’s circus event will let a bunch of Republican members of Congress curry favor with Trump’s supporters (at the mere cost of trying to overturn the results of a lawful and properly conducted election), but the result is pre-ordained - all Pence gets to do is open the envelopes and read the results. Just like someone presenting at the Oscars or Grammys - they’re reading a name, not making the decision.

I sincerely hope that those Senators and Representatives participating in trying to overturn the election face actual consequences for their conduct.

The election was properly conducted. Trump and a lot of his followers have made all sorts of wild accusations, but have brought forth no actual verifiable evidence - if the fraud is as widespread as they allege, then real verifiable evidence should be plentiful. Where is it? Why haven’t they introduced it in court, in the past two months. None of their supposed evidence has withstood scrutiny.

Making allegations is easy, if you don’t have to back them up - I allege that xnsys has murdered at least 50 people - now, you prove me wrong. See how easy that is? There are way more than 50 unsolved murders in the world, and xnsys has been alleged to have committed many murders, it’s obvious that xnsys must be responsible for most of them. Now, prove that you haven’t committed all those murders. If you really feel that you haven’t committed all those murders, then you should be willing to put everything else on hold for months or years while you conclusively prove that you didn’t do them. That’s reasonable to ask, isn’t it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.