Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Long story short picked up the S23 ultra and I love it. I have been with the iPhone since 2007 and I recently sold my 14 Pro Max and picked up an S23 Ultra, my thinking was I am going all in on this and giving the Android the best possible chance without being tempted to pick my iPhone up every 5 minutes. The problem is, it’s happening anyway.

Yes, I am missing the iPhone because it’s all i’ve really been use to for the past 10+ years, but also it’s the app eco system. So many apps that I lived on are not available or are HEAVILY lacking on the Android. Carrot, Bear, Fantastical, Apollo, whilst there are alternatives there is nothing quite like the apps I use on the iPhone. Another issue I have is with the damn apple hardware I have around the house, Apple Watch, HomePod and AirPods, all just sitting gathering dust because of this decision, which I knew was going to be an issue anyway and had accepted that, but the reality is much different to the idea of it.

So these are things I am battling with at the minute, and what’s making it difficult is just how great the S23 Ultra is. Every notion I had about the Android (aside from the apps) has been completely turned on their head. I use to think of Android as being janky, stuttery and feeling more like a computer than a phone, and I couldn’t be more wrong. Speaking of my S23u, it’s extremely smooth, responsive and even feels faster than my old iPhone 14 Pro max if you can believe that. The display, camera and speakers are all extremely A++ and the little tweaks you can make to your phone to make it work for you, is astounding. The all day battery life doesn’t hurt either.

So I hope you guys see and understand my predicament, and believe me, I know how unbelievably fortunate and first worldy this issue is, but this is the dilemma and I am just looking for some advice on what you think I should do : )

All my friends/family are also iphone users, so you guys are all I can turn to lol

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's tough I know and I know if i had to choose one it would be iphone for sure. It's my main daily driver due to the preference of IOS, ecosystem and imessage which I use in all my devices.

I think you have to decide what do you enjoy most and what fits your daily life better. Based on your post I feel the iphone does.

bigup

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
United Kingdom
There is no denying Samsung did a a great job with the S23 Ultra.

My issue is, my kids have iphones and I have them on my find my iPhone app, I Pay for icloud+ which we all share etc

Also integration with my MacBook Air, ipad, apple watch, air pod pro, powerbeats pro and air tags is just so easy and convenient, and i also prefer Apple Car play to Android Auto.

I run every day so use my Apple Watch for that too

Safe to say im well hooked into the eco system.

I did actually order an S23 Ultra, had it a day but returned it due to the Gmail notifcation delays it had, an ongoing android issue thats been around for years which they cannot seem to fix (not saying it was an S23 issue) but in comparison Apple to Google apps so much better. It was a beast of a phone i have to admit.

Still using 13 Pro Max since launch, I intend to buy the 15 pro max this year.

I think as im getting older its more the connivence aspect that keeps me with Apple, gone are the days when I used to flash custom kernals/Roms to android phones to get that extra oomph from it.

Reactions: rillrill

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Long story short picked up the S23 ultra and I love it. I have been with the iPhone since 2007 and I recently sold my 14 Pro Max and picked up an S23 Ultra, my thinking was I am going all in on this and giving the Android the best possible chance without being tempted to pick my iPhone up every 5 minutes. The problem is, it’s happening anyway.

Yes, I am missing the iPhone because it’s all i’ve really been use to for the past 10+ years, but also it’s the app eco system. So many apps that I lived on are not available or are HEAVILY lacking on the Android. Carrot, Bear, Fantastical, Apollo, whilst there are alternatives there is nothing quite like the apps I use on the iPhone. Another issue I have is with the damn apple hardware I have around the house, Apple Watch, HomePod and AirPods, all just sitting gathering dust because of this decision, which I knew was going to be an issue anyway and had accepted that, but the reality is much different to the idea of it.

So these are things I am battling with at the minute, and what’s making it difficult is just how great the S23 Ultra is. Every notion I had about the Android (aside from the apps) has been completely turned on their head. I use to think of Android as being janky, stuttery and feeling more like a computer than a phone, and I couldn’t be more wrong. Speaking of my S23u, it’s extremely smooth, responsive and even feels faster than my old iPhone 14 Pro max if you can believe that. The display, camera and speakers are all extremely A++ and the little tweaks you can make to your phone to make it work for you, is astounding. The all day battery life doesn’t hurt either.

So I hope you guys see and understand my predicament, and believe me, I know how unbelievably fortunate and first worldy this issue is, but this is the dilemma and I am just looking for some advice on what you think I should do : )

All my friends/family are also iphone users, so you guys are all I can turn to lol
Hate to say it but in your case, I think you should probably switch back to Apple if you miss your other Apple products. I think breaking away from the Apple services AND hardware poses a double challenge. If it's hard enough to move on from the software side because your friends and family all use iPhone, and you have all your Apple products sitting there calling your name, I think you already know how this experiment will end unfortunately. 😔

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Try to take a still picture of a moving target with your camera, realise you can't due to the shutter lag* and go back to your iPhone.

*I jest slightly because otherwise the S23U is a monster of a phone that does all sorts really well. But if I can't take any non-blurry shots of my kids running around whats the point?

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
My experiment of switching to the s23 ultra and the galaxy watch 5 pro did not last and I’m back with my 14 PM and AW series 7.

My reasons are slightly unique in that I have a vision impairment and have the text size set much larger on my phone plus regularly use the accessibility zoom option. The S23 ultra offered similar options but I did not find them to work as well for my needs. I absolutely could get by with android and it would be accessible for me but a number quirks made me realise just what a good job apple have done on iOS. It’s not perfect, far far from it but for my needs it works better and so I sent back the Samsung. The only thing I do miss is the 10x zoom. I regularly take photos of signs which I can’t read from distance and the 10x zoom was perfect for that, a real good feature for accessibility. But it wasn’t enough to keep me on the Samsung. Hope for a longer zoom range on the 15PM.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
If you're switching platforms, you should stick with the new one for at least a month IMO. Eventually you get used to the "new" way of doing things.

That's been my experience when switching anyways. ✌️
This is very true. I have trucked through several urges to switch back and have been successful fighting them. iPhone 14PM is getting traded in as we speak so no going back now!

Reactions: Harthag and Ludatyk

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Thanks for all the advice. I switched back.

Whilst it may be financially to use both, I have no reason to use 2 phones. Not yet anyway, depends on my relationship with the Mrs.
Did you end up re-buying the 14PM? I haven't sold mine yet just in case; I don't like having a $1000+ gadget sitting around collecting dust though. I think the best thing for all switchers to do, assuming funds are ok, is to buy an older cheap (or used) iPhone to use as the backup for any video sharing, Find My features for kids, etc. That way the transition is less like ripping off a band-aid, lol.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Did you end up re-buying the 14PM? I haven't sold mine yet just in case; I don't like having a $1000+ gadget sitting around collecting dust though. I think the best thing for all switchers to do, assuming funds are ok, is to buy an older cheap (or used) iPhone to use as the backup for any video sharing, Find My features for kids, etc. That way the transition is less like ripping off a band-aid, lol.

Yeah I just bit the bullet, it stung but it’s done lol

Reactions: antiprotest

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Agreed. I have an iPhone 11 for work, although I just use my personal line. I might actually use that phone for work calls from now on just to keep the iOS always there when I get the urge.

Reactions: Harthag

Mr Magoo

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Wouldn’t you like to know
Use both. I Have a budget iphone that still get ios updates and a fun android folding phone. I'm not ditching apple completely just think they have been doing some strange decisions lately. I would've jumped on the macbook pro but no touch bar, and fatter design and a notch to top it off. The notch got me ditching iphone. I'm staying on my MacBook pro 2017 until they slim down and notch is gone. Hopefully Apple jumps on the folding train and gets rid if the notch on their devices.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I use both iPhone and Android, and enjoy the best of both worlds. Nobody told me that I can only use one platform. I use Android for its flexibility, and iPhone for its privacy and security. Life is too short, and it's just a phone/tool. :)

Reactions: 5105973

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I use both iPhone and Android, and enjoy the best of both worlds. Nobody told me that I can only use one platform. I use Android for its flexibility, and iPhone for its privacy and security. Life is too short, and it's just a phone/tool. :)

Yeah I decided on this. Still find this redundant and struggle to know when to use which phone, because I can do everything on the one phone.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Try to take a still picture of a moving target with your camera, realise you can't due to the shutter lag* and go back to your iPhone.

*I jest slightly because otherwise the S23U is a monster of a phone that does all sorts really well. But if I can't take any non-blurry shots of my kids running around whats the point?
Yeah it’s still a problem on s23 ultra, it’s improved but still a problem.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

Tried Good Lock - Camera Assistant ? I believe it's specifically designed to mitigate the shutter lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.