Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think people are thinking too much about fear based decisions. This is exactly why I jumped the Apple ship. I don't want to base my decision on a phone based on a fear of what I might lose.

Also a few really ignorant posts on iPhone from an iphone user again. Look if you like iPhone and it's "ecosystem" that is great. Good reasons to enjoy the ecosystem. But there are equal reasons to venture beyond the walled garden.

Personally having my tablet and computer be it a Mac or Windows PC give me a notification every time I get a text or email becomes fatiguing. I think having my phone separate is actually a good thing. I don't mind making a text or occasional phone call from those devices when I am doing work on them but using a phone as a phone works better than using a computer/tablet as a phone.

iPhone is great but the 14 was a miss and iOS 16 is a hot mess. Samsung s23 ultra is a better phone than the 14 Pro Max. If you have an iPhone 13 Pro Max then you should just enjoy one of the best iPhones made in a long time. Maybe iPhone 15 will be better with a better chip but I am thinking it might be as far out as the 16 before iPhone makes some serious improvements and refinement with a 3nm chip. Hopefully iOS bugs will be ironed out by then.

If you just switched from iOS give it some time for your fear response to die down and you will see that life will not end without everything connected and without iMessages. You can still text just fine.

To the Apple fans that can't see past their noses give it a rest with your rants of superiority. 2023 is here and most Apple new iOS features have been on Android for a long time. Calm down. iOS is nice and polished but it is not as vastly superior as it once was.

Samsung will give longer OS updates than ever before and resale value on all phones suck right now.
I got my S23 Ultra almost two weeks ago. I am heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem and that makes the whole story more difficult. Actually, I use both an iPhone 14 Pro Max and the S23 Ultra. I enjoy both devices, but I wouldn't sell my iPhone, because I enjoy some features, that I wouldn't want to miss (SMS forwarding, iCloud clipboard, hand-off, etc). My only problem is with the watch. I also got a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and I like it. I have an Apple Watch Series 8 too, and I prefer its design and OS. On the other side the Galaxy Watch 5 is much better when training. Using two watches at the same time is not really helpful :) , so I have to decide which one to keep. Of course I could just keep both and wear them on different occasions, but that is not really the optimal use of these devices. What do you think? I do not plan on giving up on any of my two phones and I also have many other Apple devices, which I will also not give up. Does it make sense to keep the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I got my S23 Ultra almost two weeks ago. I am heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem and that makes the whole story more difficult. Actually, I use both an iPhone 14 Pro Max and the S23 Ultra. I enjoy both devices, but I wouldn't sell my iPhone, because I enjoy some features, that I wouldn't want to miss (SMS forwarding, iCloud clipboard, hand-off, etc). My only problem is with the watch. I also got a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and I like it. I have an Apple Watch Series 8 too, and I prefer its design and OS. On the other side the Galaxy Watch 5 is much better when training. Using two watches at the same time is not really helpful :) , so I have to decide which one to keep. Of course I could just keep both and wear them on different occasions, but that is not really the optimal use of these devices. What do you think? I do not plan on giving up on any of my two phones and I also have many other Apple devices, which I will also not give up. Does it make sense to keep the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro?
No.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Of course I could just keep both and wear them on different occasions, but that is not really the optimal use of these devices. What do you think? I do not plan on giving up on any of my two phones and I also have many other Apple devices, which I will also not give up. Does it make sense to keep the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro?
Tbf, you have two flagship phones… therefore choosing to keep the GW 5 Pro is irrelevant (imo).

I think asking for advice in this scenario… is entirely up to you. But if anything… it all depends on how much you’ll use the S23U to justify keeping the GW 5 Pro.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Tbf, you have two flagship phones… therefore choosing to keep the GW 5 Pro is irrelevant (imo).

I think asking for advice in this scenario… is entirely up to you. But if anything… it all depends on how much you’ll use the S23U to justify keeping the GW 5 Pro.
I use both phones a lot. I don't know if that will change though. I think I will just keep both watches and will use them as I see fit..

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I went for a long walk today and for the first time in many months I took just my iPhone, Apple Watch on my wrist and air pods on my ears and I felt so much better for it instead of carrying two phones one in each pocket. Carrying more than one phone does drain you from time to time.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Use both. I Have a budget iphone that still get ios updates and a fun android folding phone. I'm not ditching apple completely just think they have been doing some strange decisions lately. I would've jumped on the macbook pro but no touch bar, and fatter design and a notch to top it off. The notch got me ditching iphone. I'm staying on my MacBook pro 2017 until they slim down and notch is gone. Hopefully Apple jumps on the folding train and gets rid if the notch on their devices.
Funny, that's like me. I got SE2 when masks were needed everywhere for Touch ID. But it was too small to use primary, so once masks were mostly done with, I went back to using my current iPhone. Then I switched to Z Flip 4, but still have the SE for Apple stuff. I don't think it would have even been so bad without the SE if we didn't have Apple Card. Way too convenient to manage on Apple devices vs non Apple.

Reactions: three

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Funny, that's like me. I got SE2 when masks were needed everywhere for Touch ID. But it was too small to use primary, so once masks were mostly done with, I went back to using my current iPhone. Then I switched to Z Flip 4, but still have the SE for Apple stuff. I don't think it would have even been so bad without the SE if we didn't have Apple Card. Way too convenient to manage on Apple devices vs non Apple.
Do all ya’ll have two phone numbers or do you swap SIM cards?

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
I own the 14 pro max, iPad pro, watch ultra, airpod pro 2, and the hardest part was the apple card. I bought the s23 ultra ..

I ended up selling the watch ultra because my skin got burns from the heart rate monitor, I didn't see the point of wearing the watch just for notifications.

airpods pro while I love them, when I was on 16 hours flights I always had to readjust every 30ish minutes because they start to slide out slowly over time, I think this is due to the skin naturally sweeting on the plane. I've just recently bought the Sony wh-1000xm4 which should scratch that itch for travel.

keeping the iPad pro because it's great for in flight movies, no argument there

keeping the iPhone because I use a few apps that are just better on iOS and I've paid for yearly subscriptions.

the hardest part of the switch wasn't imessage, I talk to a lot of people internationally and they use either line or whatsapp. the hardest part for me is the apple card having used it for 3 years now and built up a good 16k credit line. it doesn't work with samsung pay so doing the research on a comparable card and slowly switching all the auto payments from the apple to the new card is the tough part. I also don't want to kill the apple card completely because of the long term open credit benefits outweigh a closed account less than 5 years. so I'll leave the card on auto pay with the .99 cent upgraded icloud storage.

honestly I don't have the itch to switch back to the iPhone currently, the s23 ultra battery life is comparable, and something that dawned on me yesterday, every time I've owned an android I still have a complete back up of photos on my computer, I can't say the same for my iPhone usage - XR, 11PM, 13PM, 14PM.. each consecutive year the iPhone to iPhone switch just moved the photos over to the next phone, I've made a couple back ups to the computer with iTunes but it's all encrypted and I can't actually view them on the PC unless they've changed that recently.. so it feels good to be on android again, plug in my 2 terabyte usb and save my photos, easy peasy..

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
At this point iOS and android are so similar it does not make much sense to switch over if you’re invested either way.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
At this point iOS and android are so similar it does not make much sense to switch over if you’re invested either way.
There are still many differences, especially in the way Android organizes the home screen and the app drawer. Multitasking is also very different. Of course, many features exist on both platforms, but the implementation is always a bit different.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There are still many differences, especially in the way Android organizes the home screen and the app drawer. Multitasking is also very different. Of course, many features exist on both platforms, but the implementation is always a bit different.
By very different? Non-existent? One of the reason why I choose Android is because the lack of multitasking on the iPhone.

I knew PiP was eventually going to come to the iPhone, but I wonder whether the iPhone will ever receive multitasking... let alone stylus support. But perhaps, these features are niche and doesn't represent the majority who might care to use it.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

This is a good point on one hand when it relates to feature parity.

On the other hand it completely ignores hardware and software differences which are quite large.

This type of simplistic conflation is widespread on forums like this.

Nuance is in the details.

Reactions: gusmula

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Really ? Been using both since..ages, and still don’t find’em similar..

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Really ? Been using both since..ages, and still don’t find’em similar..
They are in a sense what people do on a daily basics is the same doesn’t matter if it’s on iOS or android. The software and some features are obviously different but what people generally use the phone for is basically the same.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Truthfully? I don't find it difficult at all and I'm not tech savvy, lots of people saying that they can't live without this or that or can't mix and match between devices, how hard is it? I can get all my e mails, calendar alerts, messages on my Galaxy S23 Ultra, I use WhatsApp, I have never worried on messenger if the bubble is blue or green. As for a watch, I have never had a Samsung watch but have had a Apple Ultra and series 8, I also had a Fenix 7 which was by far and away the best smart watch I have ever had, the Garmin app is so much better than Apple health.

I'm no Apple basher, just look at my sig.

I don't use my watch to make phone calls (I did have that facility on both my Apple Watches but never used it), so I will be buying a Garmin Epix 2 which is basically the same watch as the Fenix 7 but with a better screen.

The Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra is the best, most polished phone I have ever had, the apps work beautifully and strangely there is no lag, because that is the excuse that is made by people that have never had an up to date Samsung flagship phone but quote opinions of 5 years ago. I sold my iPhone 14 pro the other day because I regard the S23 Ultra as a better phone.

I will keep my 3 different iPads and MacBook Air because I think they are fabulous and can't be beaten, wish WhatsApp did it with iPad but it's not a game changer.

As I said before, I am 65 years old, just learning how to use this technology, but in relative terms, a novice at it, but, Ill tell you what, if all you can use are Apples products and can't mix and match devices from different companies, you're either making up excuses to stay Apple or, you are worse at Tech than me and that's saying something.

My Phone will be a different make from my watch which will be a different make from my tablets and Laptop, which are from a different maker of my ear pods which is different from my portable blue tooth speaker (Ultimate ears) which is a different make to my Naim music system which can be controlled through my phone or iPads which is different to the Sonos speakers I have in the bedroom which are a different maker from my lighting system. It all just works together, from my phone, tablets, computer or, in some cases, just asking Alexa to make it happen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.