Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skulls17

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2020
I'm not planning to jump into the Samsung ecosystem but do have the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro. They integrate seamlessly with the S23+ better than my AirPods Pro 2 with my 14PM, much more functionality and importantly, don't snap crackle and pop every time I have a phone conversation like my APP do (already replaced via AC+, same issues). I cannot use my iPhone + APP at all for work calls which is a serious problem for me. Talk about janky...

I'm still in the honeymoon phase and AirMessage is working flawlessly for me re: iMessage, so I have no imminent plan to switch back. Time will tell.

Do you need a Mac for it to work ? I see all these apps that allow iMessage for android, but all require a Mac, which I do not have. My computer is a windows computer.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Do you need a Mac for it to work ? I see all these apps that allow iMessage for android, but all require a Mac, which I do not have. My computer is a windows computer.
No Mac needed, I have a virtual Mac set up on my office PC which is powered on 24/7. You don't even need to port forward. You need to edit 1 or 2 config files and spoof some Mac info, but once set up properly you'll be good to go. I followed this video step by step, it's the best tutorial I've seen on this and actually works.

Reactions: skulls17

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Which is now very apparent, with posts like “I can’t leave apple’s ecosystem”. No you can, you just don’t want to use the competitions janky fragmented offerings. It’s that simple.
It's all about familiarity... that's why those post exist. Because Samsung and Google have solid ecosystem offerings, I have a Samsung Watch along with Galaxy Buds... I wouldn't categorize them as janky fragmented offerings.

Another similar ‘argument’ is people getting mad Apple doesn’t bring iMessage to Android or to play nice with RCS. Apple has to fix Android’s deficiencies too? It’s not Apple’s fault they spent billions of dollars making things work. Blackberry had BBM on their phones and nobody else did. Apple has to build their own encrypted messaging platform baked into the OS. Extremely hard to do that!
Now I agree... Apple should not have to bring iMessage to Android nor play nice with RCS.

I think RCS is Google version of iMessage and people seem to downplay that as you mention Blackberry had BBM on their phones. I would rather have Google build up RCS to compete with iMessage... not take out ads to influence Apple to implement it on their platform.

That logic just doesn't add up to me. iPhone and Android users can still communicate via SMS, so that's not going anywhere. Google needs to focus on making RCS as good as it can be...

Reactions: Technerd108

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Familiarity is the biggest "issue" when jumping between platforms. Since we're on MacRumors, most of us are (probably) iPhone users, and as a result, we are comfortable with and appreciate a lot of what Apple offers and what iOS does for us. Android is different, Samsung's One UI is (in my opinion) the polar opposite of iOS, it's full-featured, yet it's heavy, and it's overwhelming to say the least. It's unfair to the Samsung S23 Ultra to give it only a few days and run back to iOS. We're still settling in, we're still getting the hang of what Android / One UI does, it's a learning curve!

I say this because I've had my S23 Ultra for about two weeks now. I went all in, and I sold my iPhone 14 Pro, iPad mini, Apple Watch, MacBook, etc. I've tinkered with Android phones over the past few years, but I've always kept running back to iOS after a week or two, maximum. The more time I spend with the S23 Ultra, the more I like it and appreciate the core differences between Samsung's customizations to Android and iOS. There are definitely still things that I miss about the iPhone and iOS, but I think, with iOS 16 being problematic (unfixed outstanding bugs and several little annoyances in general, I won't go into detail) it's the perfect time for ME to step away from the iPhone and iOS.

EDIT: iMessage is nice, but it's not a dealbreaker in any way, shape, or form. I'm cool with being a green bubble.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Familiarity is the biggest "issue" when jumping between platforms. Since we're on MacRumors, most of us are (probably) iPhone users, and as a result, we are comfortable with and appreciate a lot of what Apple offers and what iOS does for us. Android is different, Samsung's One UI is (in my opinion) the polar opposite of iOS, it's full-featured, yet it's heavy, and it's overwhelming to say the least. It's unfair to the Samsung S23 Ultra to give it only a few days and run back to iOS. We're still settling in, we're still getting the hang of what Android / One UI does, it's a learning curve!

I say this because I've had my S23 Ultra for about two weeks now. I went all in, and I sold my iPhone 14 Pro, iPad mini, Apple Watch, MacBook, etc. I've tinkered with Android phones over the past few years, but I've always kept running back to iOS after a week or two, maximum. The more time I spend with the S23 Ultra, the more I like it and appreciate the core differences between Samsung's customizations to Android and iOS. There are definitely still things that I miss about the iPhone and iOS, but I think, with iOS 16 being problematic (unfixed outstanding bugs and several little annoyances in general, I won't go into detail) it's the perfect time for ME to step away from the iPhone and iOS.

EDIT: iMessage is nice, but it's not a dealbreaker in any way, shape, or form. I'm cool with being a green bubble.
Your post gives me hope. I've had the S23U for a week now and while I love the phone I am still getting "I miss my iPhone" zingers pretty frequently. Had I not traded it in I likely would have switched back already.

Reactions: three

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Your post gives me hope. I've had the S23U for a week now and while I love the phone I am still getting "I miss my iPhone" zingers pretty frequently. Had I not traded it in I likely would have switched back already.
I've been reminding myself that I need to appreciate the differences rather than hate them.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've been reminding myself that I need to appreciate the differences rather than hate them.
What's throwing me the hardest is the auto fill. I've loaded all of my logins from Keychain into Samsung Pass, Google itself and most recently Microsoft Authenticator. No matter which one I select in Settings, it works less than half the time and the UI is inconsistent. Sometimes it'll be a white box that pops up off the field itself, other times it'll show up in a bar above the keyboard and yet other times I'll see something come down from the top of the screen.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think people are thinking too much about fear based decisions. This is exactly why I jumped the Apple ship. I don't want to base my decision on a phone based on a fear of what I might lose.

Also a few really ignorant posts on iPhone from an iphone user again. Look if you like iPhone and it's "ecosystem" that is great. Good reasons to enjoy the ecosystem. But there are equal reasons to venture beyond the walled garden.

Personally having my tablet and computer be it a Mac or Windows PC give me a notification every time I get a text or email becomes fatiguing. I think having my phone separate is actually a good thing. I don't mind making a text or occasional phone call from those devices when I am doing work on them but using a phone as a phone works better than using a computer/tablet as a phone.

iPhone is great but the 14 was a miss and iOS 16 is a hot mess. Samsung s23 ultra is a better phone than the 14 Pro Max. If you have an iPhone 13 Pro Max then you should just enjoy one of the best iPhones made in a long time. Maybe iPhone 15 will be better with a better chip but I am thinking it might be as far out as the 16 before iPhone makes some serious improvements and refinement with a 3nm chip. Hopefully iOS bugs will be ironed out by then.

If you just switched from iOS give it some time for your fear response to die down and you will see that life will not end without everything connected and without iMessages. You can still text just fine.

To the Apple fans that can't see past their noses give it a rest with your rants of superiority. 2023 is here and most Apple new iOS features have been on Android for a long time. Calm down. iOS is nice and polished but it is not as vastly superior as it once was.

Samsung will give longer OS updates than ever before and resale value on all phones suck right now.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
What's throwing me the hardest is the auto fill. I've loaded all of my logins from Keychain into Samsung Pass, Google itself and most recently Microsoft Authenticator. No matter which one I select in Settings, it works less than half the time and the UI is inconsistent. Sometimes it'll be a white box that pops up off the field itself, other times it'll show up in a bar above the keyboard and yet other times I'll see something come down from the top of the screen.
I'm using 1Password - after having a few issues with getting it set up and configured just right, it's pretty reliable for me. I haven't given Samsung Pass too much attention, I'm sorry to say!

Reactions: 5105973

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I never gave a fig that I could start typing a text message on my iPhone, finish it on my iPad and then receive replies on my Mac. I don't need all my devices to work together. I don't need an ecosystem. Not sure why others do either but hey, each to their own.

It all seems massively pointless but it's how Apple keep their victims so they must be doing something right! 😄

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think people are thinking too much about fear based decisions. This is exactly why I jumped the Apple ship. I don't want to base my decision on a phone based on a fear of what I might lose.

Also a few really ignorant posts on iPhone from an iphone user again. Look if you like iPhone and it's "ecosystem" that is great. Good reasons to enjoy the ecosystem. But there are equal reasons to venture beyond the walled garden.

Personally having my tablet and computer be it a Mac or Windows PC give me a notification every time I get a text or email becomes fatiguing. I think having my phone separate is actually a good thing. I don't mind making a text or occasional phone call from those devices when I am doing work on them but using a phone as a phone works better than using a computer/tablet as a phone.

iPhone is great but the 14 was a miss and iOS 16 is a hot mess. Samsung s23 ultra is a better phone than the 14 Pro Max. If you have an iPhone 13 Pro Max then you should just enjoy one of the best iPhones made in a long time. Maybe iPhone 15 will be better with a better chip but I am thinking it might be as far out as the 16 before iPhone makes some serious improvements and refinement with a 3nm chip. Hopefully iOS bugs will be ironed out by then.

If you just switched from iOS give it some time for your fear response to die down and you will see that life will not end without everything connected and without iMessages. You can still text just fine.

To the Apple fans that can't see past their noses give it a rest with your rants of superiority. 2023 is here and most Apple new iOS features have been on Android for a long time. Calm down. iOS is nice and polished but it is not as vastly superior as it once was.

Samsung will give longer OS updates than ever before and resale value on all phones suck right now.
1,000% this. I stayed on Apple for so long based on the wrong reasons. Felt like I "should" stay on Apple. To the point in your 3rd paragraph, that's also spot on. I had the watch, the iPad, the MacBook. Everywhere I went...notifications. My fiance even said that she would be watching me on the Blink camera when I'm doing lawn work, and I'd be peaking at my watch every 30 seconds. The freedom I have to put my phone down and actually miss a text or a sports alert is a huge breath of fresh air.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I never gave a fig that I could start typing a text message on my iPhone, finish it on my iPad and then receive replies on my Mac. I don't need all my devices to work together. I don't need an ecosystem. Not sure why others do either but hey, each to their own.

It all seems massively pointless but it's how Apple keep their victims so they must be doing something right! 😄
I agree with this - I appreciated being able to reply to messages on my iPad when I didn't have my iPhone with me, but at the same time, I don't want to always be connected?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I agree with this - I appreciated being able to reply to messages on my iPad when I didn't have my iPhone with me, but at the same time, I don't want to always be connected?
My phone is always next to me. That's my 'do it all' device and main comms gadget. I use my iPad for consumption but can also email and use FB Messenger when necessary. Same on my laptop, I can email and use FB Messenger. I just don't encounter any issues whatsoever and am so glad that I haven't fallen into this ecosystem nonsense.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015

I'm in the same boat as you *three* I haven't sold my 14 pro, I am trying to offload a series 5 edition if anyone's interested , but this is actually the first time in using an Android device and haven't really had the urge to activate my 14 pro again.

I also did get the watch 4 classic and while the band selection is meh the watch is nice. I'm just bummed that there's no Starbucks app or apple music app for it. Also noticing i can't use it for my duo mobile approvals (could be doing something wrong here) but I'm really liking Android auto (they actually really did a nice update on it since I last used it in November with the pixel 7 pro).

I'm also sticking it out cause I took advantage of that Fi deal, I've also been an avid iOS user since returning in 2012 and this is such a breath of fresh air. It's definitely been a learning curve for sure and it sucks I've had to work so haven't been able to really tinker with it.

If anyone knows of a good app for watch faces for the watch I'd be grateful!

One last thing this beast is amazing on battery!

Granted there are little charging peaks buts that being connected in my car for Android auto but this is off the first full charge after setting up the phone on Monday.
70b28b9d012098bb187f89e81cd0e119.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I also did get the watch 4 classic and while the band selection is meh the watch is nice. I'm just bummed that there's no Starbucks app or apple music app for it.
Yeah, I'm bummed by the lack of an Apple Music app as well and I highly doubt Apple would make one. I have to resort to using YT Music app, which is okay.. but prefer to use Apple Music.

If anyone knows of a good app for watch faces for the watch I'd be grateful!
I suggest going to reddit and check Galaxy Watch Faces community, they often give free or discounted watch faces.

And these two creators tend to offer BOGO below. I have a few of their watch faces loaded onto my Galaxy Watch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5591589606735981545

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=8326277671626175898

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Yeah, I'm bummed by the lack of an Apple Music app as well and I highly doubt Apple would make one. I have to resort to using YT Music app, which is okay.. but prefer to use Apple Music.

I suggest going to reddit and check Galaxy Watch Faces community, they often give free or discounted watch faces.

And these two creators tend to offer BOGO below. I have a few of their watch faces loaded onto my Galaxy Watch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5591589606735981545

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=8326277671626175898
Cool, thank you! Yeah I guess I could use YT music when I want to workout without having my phone on me.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
My issue is the constant frustrations with the ecosystem as a whole. If it were just the iPhone, I'd probably be mostly content; I normally don't have most of the bugs I read about here. But I'm so tired of being fed up.

It's at a point where I don't even try to use my HomePods because I know they're not going to connect. Also, notification center is an embarrassment. I've been reading about how superior Android's system is and just never really cared because I was happy with what I had. I really hope they do something with that soon. Something drastic.

I'm not sure how long this experiment of mine will last. I'm really happy with the phone aside from some autofill woes and look forward to having everything situated so I can go on living with the phone as a background prop.

Reactions: swarlos and three

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
My issue is the constant frustrations with the ecosystem as a whole. If it were just the iPhone, I'd probably be mostly content; I normally don't have most of the bugs I read about here. But I'm so tired of being fed up.

It's at a point where I don't even try to use my HomePods because I know they're not going to connect. Also, notification center is an embarrassment. I've been reading about how superior Android's system is and just never really cared because I was happy with what I had. I really hope they do something with that soon. Something drastic.

I'm not sure how long this experiment of mine will last. I'm really happy with the phone aside from some autofill woes and look forward to having everything situated so I can go on living with the phone as a background prop.
I totally feel this. I'm really loving the phone and experience so far but it does make you appreciate all the little things about apple. The auto fill has been very hit and miss with me versus iOS.

I did get a watch 4 classic as well to just experience the Samsung side of things and while the watch is great there's already things I'm noticing I can't do like approve my duo mobile login for work from my wrist, no apple music app on the watch, also can't use my mobile access card on the watch which gets me into the office.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Similar experience with auto fill. I've tried Keeper and Bitwarden, it feels like I always need to log in when prompted for passwords. I've disabled optimized battery for these apps, for some reason I am unable to add them in the battery settings to prevent them from sleeping. It is incredibly annoying, not a deal breaker, but I'd love to rectify it.

**Edit: Figured it out. Need to go into accessibility settings and enable Bitwarden from there as well. Now it stays logged in and the auto fill box pops up allowing me to select the appropriate log in.

Last edited:

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Similar experience with auto fill. I've tried Keeper and Bitwarden, it feels like I always need to log in when prompted for passwords. I've disabled optimized battery for these apps, for some reason I am unable to add them in the battery settings to prevent them from sleeping. It is incredibly annoying, not a deal breaker, but I'd love to rectify it.

**Edit: Figured it out. Need to go into accessibility settings and enable Bitwarden from there as well. Now it stays logged in and the auto fill box pops up allowing me to select the appropriate log in.
I just tried this and tested when logging into my liberty mutual account and nothing showed up for auto fill using dashlane after I enable in accessibility.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I love when people say “Apple’s ecosystem” like it’s a negative thing lol.

Since when is it a bad thing that a large company has something that finally works seamlessly and is streamlined enough that anybody can use it? What’s the alternative? The Samsung ecosystem? No thank you lol.

While Samsung was busy burning money making ads pointing out the notch, Apple was quietly fine tuning all their products to work together seamlessly.

Which is now very apparent, with posts like “I can’t leave apple’s ecosystem”. No you can, you just don’t want to use the competitions janky fragmented offerings. It’s that simple.

Another similar ‘argument’ is people getting mad Apple doesn’t bring iMessage to Android or to play nice with RCS. Apple has to fix Android’s deficiencies too? It’s not Apple’s fault they spent billions of dollars making things work. Blackberry had BBM on their phones and nobody else did. Apple has to build their own encrypted messaging platform baked into the OS. Extremely hard to do that!

I’d love to see iMessage go to android. But look what happened to blackberry once they opened it up to other platforms! Coincidence maybe but that company took a nose dive around the time it let go of the one message platform millions used on only blackberry devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.