Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aclarubicin

macrumors member
May 27, 2018
Parallel decoding / encoding test also done.

I open 4 FFmpeg section to re-encode four 1080P videos simultaneously.

3 of them use both hardware decode and hardware encode.

The remaining one use software decode but hardware encode.

It seems there is no limit on how many parallel sections can be open. The final limitation is just the hardware resources.

Up to this point, it's 100% GPU limiting, but no more CPU single thread performance bottleneck observed.
View attachment 835054
[doublepost=1556900768][/doublepost]Smooth playback 8k VP9 youtube video (zero frame drop) also achieved now on this 10 years old cMP in macOS :D
View attachment 835057
Youtube on Chrome/Brave is still taking tons of CPU power, does that imply HW acceleration is not fully working there?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Youtube on Chrome/Brave is still taking tons of CPU power, does that imply HW acceleration is not fully working there?

VP9 is completely another stuff as per Hendrik94 pointed out. I don't know how much it's working, or how the usage looks like on iMac Pro etc.

But if you turn OFF hardware accel and play the same video again, then you will know the difference. Now, at least, we can play it smoothly no matter how much hardware accel is actually working.

If you have Windows, you may try that and see how's the CPU / GPU usage looks like and report back. Then we may know more about if "full GPU hardware accel" really exist or not with this hardware config.

Reactions: zoltm

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
chrome://gpu/ and you will see what works and what not if you run Chrome
Interesting. brave://gpu/ also works
Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 1.27.30 AM.png

[doublepost=1556906274][/doublepost]

Just did some study, confirmed that up to Radeon VII (UVD 7.2) can only do partial hardware VP9 decoding. Still need lots of assistant from the CPU, but still provide much better performance than zero GPU hardware decode.

Full hardware VP9 support on exist in VCN 1.0 or later.

So, this is actually hardware limitation, not software problem. We already get what we can get.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I can confirm this also works with Vega Cards.

Tested with RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII sadly those X5690 bottleneck in SingeCore Performance but I will not try it on my main rig until 10.14.5 is final.....

Also DRM Content Playback does NOT!! work (If you need that I don't use it)
View attachment 835044

Further test shows only DRM streaming has problem, not really playback. A fully downloaded iTunes movie can be played flawlessly with hardware accel enabled.

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
chrome://gpu/ and you will see what works and what not if you run Chrome
This is indeed eye-opening. Thanks.
[doublepost=1556945591][/doublepost]
Interesting. brave://gpu/ also works
View attachment 835067
[doublepost=1556906274][/doublepost]

Thanks you guys for those bleeding edge info. This is the first time I heard about this Brave browser thing. Do really treasure the breath of talents in this high quality community.

MacManu77

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
Excuse me, but is the possibility of enabling the Gpu to hvc and h264 affect cMP or hackintosh?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Excuse me, but is the possibility of enabling the Gpu to hvc and h264 affect cMP or hackintosh?

The macOS itself is unmodified (not even a single plist file have been edited).

The firmware itself is clean (I just dump it and check, seems no abnormal corruption)

We just add two extra kext which seems very safe to use. Lilu and WEG are widely use in the Hackintosh community, and we also use Lilu to enable HDMI audio on cMP before Apple gave that to us. So, I personally believe that they are safe to use in macOS.

On top of that, we just add a boot argument in NVRAM via terminal. The Mac and macOS support this function natively.

So, in worst case, the extra kext may stop the OS to function properly. However, the Hackintosh group already shows us that they won't. These two are really the very very basic kext that most Hackintosh need to use.

Or the extra boot argument causing the OS has some abnormal behaviour. But again, the argument is purely for WhateverGreen, and the Hackintosh groups shows no problem of that. And in the last 24 hours, I tested many different combination of boot argument, my cMP shows zero abnormal behaviour so far.

Last but not least, as Hendrik94 pointed out, you can always use NVRAM reset to clear the boot argument. And once you reset the NVRAM, SIP will be automatically re-enable, which also means Lilu and WEG will be automatically disabled on the next boot. So, at this point, everything will back to the vanilla state. You are running the cMP and macOS in the 100% native way (and you can remove the extra kext if you want).

This is really the least damaging, and safest way I can think of to enable GPU acceleration at this moment.

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I just found the solution to keep hardware accel but able to play DRM content (streaming) in iTunes.

Very nice find. 96 = 32 + 64. So 32 for replacing the board ID and 64 for enabling FairPlay 1.0. Make sense. But although this may work for streaming in iTunes, Netflix on Safari remains ever more elusive...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just found the solution to keep hardware accel but able to play DRM content (streaming) in iTunes.

Just change shikigva=32 to shikigva=96.
View attachment 835159

The interesting thing is if I make screen capture, the movie window become black
View attachment 835160

But from the photo, obviously I can watch KF panda (streaming).

I hope when this is all figured out, you decide to make a comprehensive guide in a new wiki thread. It would be a great goto for after doing a new install. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: zoltm

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't mind to do that. TBH, I don't think it's a good idea to let this important info hide inside this thread. However, it seems like a happy accident this time.

sarkrui was talking about that iMac 19,1 and 18E2034 issue, and I suddenly think about may be we can use WEG to "inject" the board-id. Then we suddenly have full H264 hardware accel that never available to the cMP.

I will let this stay here few more days. Then let's see what we can find, and the gather all the info and put that into my "H264 hardware accel from RX580 is now possible" thread (or a new one).

Up to this point, I believe we pretty much already hit the next hurdle (unable to get HEVC encoding / DRM streaming reliably). But I still prefer to wait a bit longer, rather than keep updating the wiki post, which may confuse those "new joiner".

I look forward to seeing a complete tutorial and perhaps a solution for HEVC / DRM. No logical reason Apple won’t just do this. Perhaps after a specific thread just about this discovery, everyone can push Apple to follow. Not likely they would do that for us, but no harm in high-volume-nagging them.
It works for my wife ;)

Last edited:

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow
Can anybody please summarize what exactly should be done to test hw acceleration with this kexts? Install Lilu and Whatevergreen via Clover? What boot argument should be added?

The guide will help others to test this method and give feedback.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Great! Could you also add it to the:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-5-1-upgrade-guide-sticky-discussion.2099092/

What is sad is that Apple decided to block this feature in Mojave. And I don't see the reason for that as it is enabled in Windows and you can use Windows on the cMP.

Can anybody please summarize what exactly should be done to test hw acceleration with this kexts? Install Lilu and Whatevergreen via Clover? What boot argument should be added?

I still have the original instruction in my quote. Everything else is deleted.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Do NOT use Clover. It may corrupt the cMP’s firmware.

Better to follow the exact steps that inside startergo’s post’s quote.

If you have Chrome / Brave browser, that will tell you the hardware acceleration state (please refer to post #456).

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow
Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 19.57.02.jpg

Command "sudo kextcache -update-volume /" doesn't work for me, it says:

/ locked; waiting for lock.

Lock acquired; proceeding.

Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

After it i entered "sudo nvram boot-args="shikigva=60 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94"", rebooted but nothing changed. Videoproc still shows nothing, Video Acceleration Information in chrome://gpu/ is blank.

Did i miss something?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
View attachment 836293

Command "sudo kextcache -update-volume /" doesn't work for me, it says:

/ locked; waiting for lock.

Lock acquired; proceeding.

Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

After it i entered "sudo nvram boot-args="shikigva=60 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94"", rebooted but nothing changed. Videoproc still shows nothing, Video Acceleration Information in chrome://gpu/ is blank.

Did i miss something?

MacOS version?

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow
I tested beta 5, still works.

Don't worry about that terminal return, that's not the problem.

You missed "step 5"
Thanks, it worked.
I put Plugins folder with WhateverGreen INSIDE Contents folder.
I entered all Terminal commands again (there were several "kext with invalid signatured" messages)
Снимок экрана 2019-05-10 в 20.34.00.jpg

After reboot H264 HW works, but not HEVC

Снимок экрана 2019-05-10 в 21.19.11.jpg

Reactions: h9826790

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow
Hmm, after the patch Photos app starts freezing the whole system till force reboot. Check it for yourself.
I think that it is something about HEVC decode, which Photos app use to show media, imported from iOS devices.

There is a similar problem on Hackintosh

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335941-solved-photos-freezing-mojave-with-rx-580/

They suggest to use Lilu plugin kext NOVPAjpeg, i don’t know is it possible in our case.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/photos-app-freezes-the-whole-system.267412/

" If you enable the on-board graphics(iGPU), Photos app will function correctly. I have faced the exact same problem."

I wonder, can we keep HW acceleration and Photos working together?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.